Grand Theft Auto V will miss spring 2013 release date

By on January 31, 2013, 2:00 PM

Fans of the Grand Theft Auto series woke up to some bad news today as it has been revealed that the latest installment of the hit title from Rockstar games will miss its planned spring 2013 release date. The company announced earlier today that Grand Theft Auto V is now scheduled for release on September 17 for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 consoles – no word yet on when it will be available on the PC or the Wii U.

In a post on Rockstar’s website, the GTA team acknowledged the delay would come as a disappointment to many but they believe it will be worth the wait. Because GTA V is a massively ambitious and complex game, it simply needs a little more polish to reach the level of standard that the team and players require.

The post concludes with the team issuing an apology for the delay and promising to work very hard to make the game all it can be.

Rockstar announced GTA V on October 25, 2011 and delivered the first trailer about one week later. The developer has been forthcoming with screenshots and teaser videos ever since, even going as far as to say that GTA V will feature the largest in-game world they have ever developed. Los Santos will be larger than the worlds in Red Dead Redemption, GTA: San Andreas and Grand Theft Auto IV combined.

The game is said to feature three playable protagonists (Michael, Franklin and Trevor) that can be switched between at any time, provided you aren’t in the middle of a mission. Each character will have a different set of skills that will be useful during various missions.

Are you looking forward to GTA V or have you grown tired of the franchise after so many iterations?

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Better get the PC version done by then or does it all mean that no PC version until 2014?

1 person liked this | Littleczr Littleczr said:

Is good to see companies doing these because it usually becomes a better product. Too bad I can't say that about Crysis 3.

1 person liked this | Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Yeah yeah. It's the same old tired excuse that every publisher gives when they fall short of the original release date. I wish they'd hurry up with the stupid console stuff so they can announce the PC version, it's going to be the creme de la creme. Can't wait.

1 person liked this | ghasmanjr ghasmanjr said:

I grew up to GTA 2, 3, Vice City and San Andreas but I couldn't get into 4. The camera made me feel a little sick. Plus, it just didn't "feel" like GTA.

1 person liked this | TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Not a big GTA fan - the genre doesn't really work for me. GTA IV was a pretty lousy console port and I'm tired of those. I'll pass on this one until it hits bargain basement pricing.

ghasmanjr ghasmanjr said:

Lol. That's when I bought GTA 4 and I still haven't played it more than 5 minutes.

IAMTHESTIG said:

I'm fine with the delay too as long as it means they are polishing the product. And I really hope it comes out for PC, I loved playing all the GTA's on PC, even though GTA IV was a bit messy as they ported it from console version. I am a loyal follower of this game and hope they continue to serve their fans.

amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

If you are knocking GTA4 or avoiding it your missing out big time. If your gonna throw out that console port trash, get it on Steam when a deal pops up for $10, buy a Xbox360 gamepad for PC (I prefer my Razer peripherals) and play it that way. It looks great cranked up with AA on, and with mods/texture packs it can be quite impressive.

I also find it comical people are bashing this game as a console port, when it was one of the more demanding titles made specifically for 64bit systems and requires a quad core CPU to even play smoothly.

Anyways the story is good, the missions are fun and it gets quite intense. The bank robbery mission is historic.

But the star of the show? Liberty City.

fimbles fimbles said:

Pretty sure its been canned for the pc... /sadface

Sniped_Ash said:

I'm wondering if they shouldn't just put it back in the oven for a year and make it a next-gen/PC release. I have the terrible feeling that it's going to be a stuttering mess.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

They will eventually release it on PC, from what I can find it's probably already in the works, in interviews they never down right say it won't be:

[link]

And people who work at Rockstar have "accidentally" shown some pointers as well:

[link]

I think Rockstar will release it on PC however, I'm betting a time frame of 4-9 months after the console releases.

Its interesting that they believe the current Gen consoles have plenty of power still, being 7+ year old tech its kinda hard to believe...

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

I knew they couldn't get to the Q2 release date

Lol. That's a long time.

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Gutted about the push-back, but it'll be worth the wait I can feel.

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

:o What don't you like about Crysis 3?!

1 person liked this | Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Vice City is still the best in the series IMO. "C.J" would've been my role model if it wasn't for Tommy Vercetti getting there first. We both come from the same era in time. I also liked Niko Bellic but he had a funny accent and a girly voice.Can't comment on Claude though because the next time he opens his mouth will the first time.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

:o What don't you like about Crysis 3?!

What is there to like about Crysis 3? The story is random and a guy who we watch die 24 years before this game is set is now suddenly live?

And instead of making a new environment we're off to New York again? only CoD re-uses textures like that.

1 person liked this | ghasmanjr ghasmanjr said:

I think Tommy was my favorite protagonist of the GTA series. He was a pure 70s badass. The last mission was straight from Scarface and it was perfect. Plus, I think the soundtrack just made me love that game so so so much more than any of the other ones.

ghasmanjr ghasmanjr said:

Most series do this but unless you're really looking for it, it can be hard to spot. CoD reused a building for a campaign mission that you have to run through that was a building from a multiplayer mission. Infinity Ward = retarded. Dice used a building model from Gulf of Oman for a building in Death Valley. I don't think anyone cared about that because Dice doesn't have the bad rep that CoD does.

2 people like this | IAMTHESTIG said:

The radio stations in the GTA games always brought the game to life for me. It made me feel like I was really there. Loved the radio in all the GTA's, but I too found VC to have the best music, but I'm biased because I grew up with that music.

1 person liked this | Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

It had by far the best music imo as well.

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

The MP Beta is real fun. Most video game stories suck anyway, so that won't bother the majority. The textures and environments (two separate things) are much improved.

PS, GTA V is in San Andreas again.

1 person liked this | Littleczr Littleczr said:

:o What don't you like about Crysis 3?!

How do they expect us to buy a game with a feature like the bow weapon.? Or if that is not the biggest feature stop advertising it. Anyway I saw they game, they claim new graphics but it looks like a regurgitated crysis 2.

Long live the original CRYSIS!!!

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Long live the original CRYSIS!!!

Glad someone agrees! I don't get it though, Crysis was fresh, new, it was a proper sandbox and had (and still has) some of the greatest graphical effects in its day, now Crysis 2/3 is just another CoD but your in a suite that "gives you the edge". Why does that sell more than a proper "free to do what you like" shooter like the original?

Only things I can think of is:

- People don't like AI that can genuinely outsmart the player

- People don't like having to "think" about what to do and where to go, but rather shoehorned down a corridor

- People don't like deliberate limitations of the nano suite to make it a challenge but rather it just replenished power almost instantaneously

1 person liked this | Littleczr Littleczr said:

Only things I can think of is:

- People don't like AI that can genuinely outsmart the player

You know I think it's because of the fast pace arcade action feel that CoD has. They also do a good job to make it compelling with the different perks and they way you feel like a bad ass when you get kill streaks.

Teens Love this stuff. I know if I was a teen I would be drooling all over it. I played CoD black ops when it came out and to me it felt short to the features bf2 had. I also played bf3 on my friends ps3 and it was really boring, maybe because of the frame rates. How ever we have a blast playing bf3 on my pc.