Sony unveils the PlayStation 4, coming this holiday season

By on February 20, 2013, 8:30 PM

Sony introduced the PlayStation 4 at a media event on Wednesday evening nearly seven years after launching the company’s current console back in 2006. Some 1,200 members of the press were on hand to witness the unveiling of a new era of gaming that features a very heavy emphasis on social.

Sony described the next generation console as a supercharged PC, powered by an eight-core x86 processor that can pump out nearly 2 teraflops of computational performance. The PS4 will contain an enhanced PC-style GPU and 8GB of GDDR5 high-speed memory – lending credit to some of the rumors we have been hearing leading up to today’s announcement. Detailed hardware specifics were noticeably absent from the press conference but we were told that a secondary processor will be used to allow gamers to download titles in the background and play them as they are being downloaded.

Those hoping to get a glimpse of the new hardware left empty-handed as Sony failed to show what the actual console will look like. They did, however, show off the new DualShock 4 controller featuring a touchpad, headphone jack and even a dedicate share button. The gamepad also contains a light bar that’s used to identify players and allows a 3D camera to track its movement and depth.

Sony has completely revamped the PlayStation 4’s user interface which now features a notification bar across the top of the screen. The system will use real-name profiles that will more than likely be pulled from social networks like Facebook while other aspects like the trophy system appear relatively unchanged. Overall the GUI has a heavy social network feel and there’s even an app that essentially mirrors the look for your mobile device(s).

PlayStation 3 games won’t be backwards compatible with the new console natively although the company did say they are exploring advanced technologies that could bring PS3 games to the PS4 in the future. This could possibly happen through Gaikai, the cloud gaming service that Sony acquired last summer.

Officials confirmed that the PlayStation 4 will use Gaikai's technology to stream games over the web. Details were sketchy but it sounds like the service will be used to allow gamers to try a game demo through the PlayStation Store before purchasing.

The press conference gave everyone around the world a first-look at some of the upcoming games for the PS4 including Killzone: Shadow Fall, Deep Down, Watch Dogs, Knack, Driveclub, and Infamous: Second Son. Blizzard’s Chris Metzer was on hand to announce a strategic partnership with Sony that will deliver Diablo III to the PS3 and the PS4 while Bungie showcased their just-announced title Destiny. The post-Halo game will also arrive on the PS3 and PS4 with exclusive content for PlayStation gamers.

In addition to the updated user interface, the PlayStation 4 will include a number of social-focused features. Players will be able to stream games over the PlayStation Network and watch other players in action thanks to always-on video compression. Friends will be able to interact with you as you play by posting stuff to your screen or even take over control for you if you allow it. Sony is teaming up with Facebook and Ustream for even greater social interaction and sharing.

Gamers with a PS Vita will be able to use a new remote play feature that lets you stream games from the PS4 directly to the handheld. Sony said their ultimate goal is to make every PS4 title playable on the Vita. It sounds an awful lot like what Nvidia is doing with Project Shield where PC gamers can stream a game to the portable device.

At the end of the day, we still don’t know how much Sony plans to charge for the PS4 nor do we have an exact release date. We are simply told to expect the system to show up during the 2013 holiday season. This move no doubt gives Sony some leverage to respond to whatever Microsoft may announce during E3 and price their console accordingly.

TypeR181 TypeR181 said:

The new virtual PS4 exists in the clouds ???? teaser release that disappointed majorly!! Selling all my ps stuff getting a shield

1 person liked this | TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

It all comes down to pricing if it costs over $400 it'll be a failure for sure. The PS3 started taking off once the sticker price lowered. Have to remember the new Xbox will be coming out as well and if PS4 is more expensive then it could be their downfall.

2 people like this | dennis777 dennis777 said:

So much for all the PS3 games I bought... what a waste of money

cmbjive said:

It'll come in between $350 - $400. No way will Sony price this at $499.

m4a4 m4a4 said:

Sounds like a 3.5mm jack for the controller, good. Sounds powerful. Easy architecture (saving grace for the devs).

Predictive downloading sounds dumb and download heavy. Sounds too powerful (expensive). Seems too early (much sooner than the xbox).

Otherwise this looks interesting. Will be waiting on the announcement of the xbox 720 (or whatever, whenever they should announce it this year) to compare...

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

I guess $550USD in USA. Even that's a bit steep though.

ghasmanjr ghasmanjr said:

I have a hunch the price will be equivalent to the launch price of the ps3 (which was waaaaaaay too much). My guess is $499 for the 120gig model and $599 for the 250gig model.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

@ dennis777

Wait so what's your PS3 sitting there for?

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

You have to dump your memory on how to use a PS3 controller in order to make space for "how to use a PS4 controller." Now if the controllers are backward compatible then that fixes everything I also read somewhere that they're expecting a $399 release price.

1 person liked this | dennis777 dennis777 said:

@ dennis777

Wait so what's your PS3 sitting there for?

@ dennis777

Wait so what's your PS3 sitting there for?

I buy new ps4 - ps4 cant play ps3 titles - will have 2 console in living room - its like buying an xbox360 even you have a ps3

hope you understand

1 person liked this | Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

Advanced PC graphics...Whats that a 9800GT? or a 86x CPU that's not detailed enough for my tech tastes. I do like the 8GB ram, for a console that is juicy and very needed. As for price, this baby already has been rumored for Mid 400s and a bigger HDD probably with some accessories for mid 500s. As a console it sounds....appealing, but the price is a problem...Like others said, even if the 720 is weaker(as it has been rumored) by even 50%, or 33% if it's sticker price is lower gamers will flock and Sony will lose big time. But I guess you get what you pay for right? PS3 in my opinion was a far superior product then 360s mess.

1 person liked this | psycros psycros said:

SIGH..another site completely blows the headline. Nothing was "unveiled". We've gotten a handful of details and a look at what is in all likelihood a prototype controller that could still see changes. And their biggest selling points? Social media and sharing your in-progress games. Like anyone gives a f#*k about watching you play a game, LOL! Sony made complete fools of themselves with this meaningless waste of two hours.

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

8GB "GDDR5"? The GeForce Titan only has 6GB. This thing could blow all gaming PCs out of the water.

3 way SLI try 18GB GDDR5!!!!!!!!

8GB unified memory is not 8GB GDDR5. It's more like 2GB DDR3 for graphics.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Cloud Cloud Cloud.

Don't they reign down on you?

Sarcasm Sarcasm said:

"On a performance level, we are told that the system is capable of rendering 30,000 polygons in real time. For comparison, Heavy Rain on the PlayStation 3 utilized just 15,000 polygons."

Huh... Beyond Two Souls is going to do 30,000 polygons per character and that is a PS3 game.

The PS4 is probably going to be more like 200,000+

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Am I the only one who thought last night was very impressive?

The game engines look stunning and the console has a while before they bring out the full potential, so things are only going to look better from here.

I like the fact that its x86, meaning PC gamers can now moan if the port isn't very good as there isn't much of an excuse anymore, I like the 8GB of GDDR5 Ram, I like the share button, I like the GPGPU accelerated Physics, These are firsts for consoles and are looking darn impressive, the old man with the expressions was particularly impressive to me, I am genuinely excited about this console, I think Sony are taking gaming seriously this time round, to have Bungie turn up? and Blizzard?! that's feat almost on its own.

Sarcasm Sarcasm said:

Am I the only one who thought last night was very impressive?

I was very impressed and quite frankly did not expect them to achieve those levels of graphics. And we haven't even seen what their premiere developers have done yet, IE: Naughty Dog, Polyphony Digital, and Sony Santa Monica.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Imagine what Polyphony Digital could so with that raw power! and RAM for that matter, the amount of detail they could add to a track (and car) could be astonishing!

I just wish they could have released a few more details and actually show off the console, we didn't get to see it at all and they didn't go into the details such as hard drive space (and if it is changeable like the ps3) or show the OS properly from boot up, Hell my stream cut off a few times but I didn't even hear a mention on Blu-ray! but I think thats a given :P

Original Crysis had more than 2M poligons on some scenes on highest settings. 30k is very low...

ghasmanjr ghasmanjr said:

The 7970 has 3gb of GDDR5. My 680 has 2gb of ram and it's the same speed as the 7970. The 680 with 4gb is barely faster than the 680 with 2gb. The amount of ram is not what counts for a GPU.

1 person liked this | ghasmanjr ghasmanjr said:

And the 8gb of ram was for the PS4's system memory, not the GPU

1 person liked this | Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

they were talking about individual characters, not entire scenes. Watch the event and you'd have known.

fimbles fimbles said:

Happy to see the new consoles finally arriving, Wont be buying one, but console ports will be much more bearable now.

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

And the 8gb of ram was for the PS4's system memory, not the GPU

It's Unified Memory meaning it's both system and video card memory.

danhodge danhodge said:

Okay guys, I think this is a bit of a misprint.

Didn't they say it would have 8GB of RAM, and it would have GDDR5 on its graphics card (without giving it a number)?

8GB of GDDR5 sounds ridiculous for the power of the graphics card they will be using.

1 person liked this | Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Okay guys, I think this is a bit of a misprint.

Nope, if a dev wanted to, they could use the whole 8GB for the Graphics card, its unified memory is what they said.

1 person liked this | Slayter said:

@ dennis777

Wait so what's your PS3 sitting there for?

@ dennis777

Wait so what's your PS3 sitting there for?

hope you understand

"its like buying an xbox360 even you have a ps3"

How can anyone possibly understand? This makes no sense. It's not even a real sentence.

3 way SLI try 18GB GDDR5!!!!!!!!

Yeah but you have to cough up $3000 for that 18gb

1 person liked this | Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Yeah and pigs can fly. The 8 gigs is system RAM, not video RAM.

JC713 JC713 said:

It'll come in between $350 - $400. No way will Sony price this at $499.

The rumor is 429 and 529

1 person liked this | JC713 JC713 said:

I guess the Dual Shock 4 is the PS4 lol. I really wasted my time watching this stream for like 2 hours... and not even seeing the console.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Ps4 is just ps3 over again, only with beefed up graphics.

This is becoming more of an american social network entertainment pc box, might as well go for the Xbox.

Playstation isn't what it is just to be...where are the japanese inhouse game developers?

Every original A-title that made the ps1 and ps2 big, is not there anymore and every japanese game project is being outsourced to eastern europe and american game companies, no disrespect to them, but it's just not the same experience.

Slayter said:

I'm happy with the first three PlayStations. There are so many great games who needs a new system?

JC713 JC713 said:

eh just better graphics... I gotta say Killzone got me interested, looks awesome, but there will be plenty of those types of games ahead for PC.

danhodge danhodge said:

The current consoles bottleneck what can be done in terms of graphics, and scale. Some people are fine being locked in at graphics which are lower than the 'low' setting on the PC versions, and being locked in at 30fps. But they tend to be the people who haven't experienced the better graphics on a PC.

Look at it this way: the only thing that let us go from Pacman sized games (not that I dislike Pacman of course) to Battlefield, and Crysis, and Grand Theft Auto, etc, is more powerful consoles. Grand Theft Auto is a great example, because they wanted to add more to GTA4, like jets - but couldn't, because the console couldn't handle more.

Imagine being able to go into every single house in the game, or imagine what the next stage of destruction could be for Battlefield.

There is a reason Battlefield limits the amount of people on a console, compared to the 64 per game on PC. People need to realize that we really do need new generation consoles.

fimbles fimbles said:

3 way SLI try 18GB GDDR5!!!!!!!!

Yeah but you have to cough up $3000 for that 18gb

Sli does not work that way, Only the memory for one gpu will be used, 6GB

aMerkuri aMerkuri said:

3 way SLI try 18GB GDDR5!!!!!!!!

and best part comes after getting three cards of Titan you will still end up in 6GB of VRAM.

1 person liked this | Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

No we don't. Consoles are fine for kids but real men use the proper tool. A PC.

1 person liked this | danhodge danhodge said:

No we don't. Consoles are fine for kids but real men use the proper tool. A PC.

I agree, I only PC game. But don't you think PC games are being held back, because of games being produced primarily for consoles, and not utilizing the more powerful PC's?

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Of course they are but you have to realize buying a console costs far less than a gaming PC hence their popularity. Publishers are only interested in making money so they publish more games for consoles and put PC games on the back burner. When they're asked about this they always cite: 1. PC game piracy is too rampant. 2. There are far to many PC configurations to be able to cater for all of them.

While I tend to agree somewhat with their 2nd statement, the 1st one has gotten old very quickly.

killeriii said:

@ dennis777

Wait so what's your PS3 sitting there for?

As for my personal experience, I have 2 as doorstops, 1 still working.

What happens when it fails (which it will), and I can't buy PS3's new anymore?

Games become coasters?

Guess I'll just need a PC powerful enough to emulate it!

IMO both M$ and Sony made machines prone to failure this last time. I can only hope the next gen are a little more resilient. In contrast, my phat PS2 still works after 13 years. So does my Gamecube for that matter, but Nintendo has always made tough machines.

1 person liked this | bernie3674 bernie3674 said:

lol, the RAM size does not affect the speed of graphic card.

danhodge danhodge said:

I wasn't arguing with that fact at all, I totally agree, and only an ignorant douche (to keep language clean) would want them to develop for the minority.

My comment was just trying to say that whether you play console games or PC games, it will affect you either way - which you seemed to not understand.

In reference to the 30k polygon count, they did not say that was the potential for the ps4; that was just the potential for 1 character in 1 GAME that is coming out THIS year, so the potential count is much higher.

(Not that polygon counts are the most important aspect of gaming anyway.)

Okay and I still have my original xbox 360 from 8 years ago and it is working beautifully; in contrast I went through 3 ps2 in that consoles lifetime... you can throw out subjective allegories all you want but hardware failure happens... TO EVERY CONSOLE.

And honestly quit whining about having to buy new games, Sony never said that the ps4 was going to be backwards compatible, so the blame for investing in the current generation is yours alone. You obviously can still play them now and you have been able to, so it's not as if you bought them and never got to use them.

shamus087 said:

Ahh so many good things about this. Basically, Sony, Take my money. Really.

I love that all next gen systems use AMD(most likely). This is so much good news for the whole computer industry.

People will whine about console ports and what not, but the games are being designed around a PC basically, so while the ports may be just ports, I think we will see a whole bunch of devs porting to the PC with upgraded graphics, because the system is based on x86!

I love that the system uses 8 cores, I bet we will see so many more games coded for all 8 cores which could mean we will see AMD doing better vs Intel processors. Which will also mean games should play better for all gamers.

Last gen I was Xbox, this gen Sony. I think I'm going to enjoy my stay.

shamus087 said:

That depends on the resolution. Lower resolution and you're correct. Higher and you need more memory. You notice this with the benchmarks with 680 @2gigs onboard vs 7970 @3gigs, the 7970 does better at higher the resolution vs the 680.