Weekend Open Forum: Do you still wear a watch?

By on February 22, 2013, 6:31 PM

There isn't a week that goes by where we don't hear about how the rapid adoption of smartphones and tablets are displacing other technology segments. For many folks, a competent high-end handset can comfortably replace various portable media players, dedicated gaming handhelds, audio and video recorders, a basic camera, a GPS and plenty more -- but even the crappiest phone will tell you what time it is.

A couple decades ago, wristwatches were practically a necessity, especially for folks with hectic schedules. While most watches still offer an advantage over phones in battery life, durability and accessibility, they seem somewhat redundant for everyday life today. Do you still wear a watch? If so, why? Is there some practical purpose? Just an old habit? Merely for style? If you've stopped wearing one, is it because you carry a phone?

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

I wear one of my Led watches when I get dressed up but that's about it.

I do when I'm out and about or at a special occasion. Wearing a nice watch is still a status symbol, but I'm not pretentious enough to wear a Rolex, I wear Bulova.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Yes I do, and don't have to worry about charging it every 1-5 days. The battery last several year without needing replaced and only cost a dollar or two. Can you say that about a Cell Phone Battery?

Ranger12 Ranger12 said:

I work in an environment that's not safe for smartphones so I need a watch. I wear a G9000 Mudman. I put it through the wringer and its never let me down.

This might sound like an advertisement but it's not. I just love my watch. :>

avoidz avoidz said:

I don't know why I wouldn't, even with a phone on me. It's quicker to turn my wrist and see the time. I only wear a $90 metal Lorus that I've had for over 10 years, but I like how it looks and feel naked without it.

treeski treeski said:

I do. I wear a Swiss Army watch.

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I still regularly wear a watch, and it's not a digital one either.

Yes, I wear a watch every day. I recently replaced an older "dumb phone" and dedicated mp3 player with a new smartphone, but I still find a watch much more convenient for quickly and easily telling the time.

Cueto_99 said:

Sure I do! Even though its easier to see what time it is in my cell phone, I believe a watch gives you presence and status.

2 people like this | GACrabill said:

No watch here ... retired folks don't care what time it is. No phone either ... on-call 24x7x365 becomes meaningless when one retires. Send me an email and I'll get back to you when I have some spare time.

learninmypc learninmypc said:

Up till a few years ago, I wore an inexpensive one because I rode the bus every place & needed to know.

I eventually got tired of people asking me what time it was. I usually told them it must be time to buy a watch.

A few years later I decided to buy another watch & was shocked at the prices for even a kiddie watch ($30).

I eventually went to a dollar store & got a Mickey Mouse digital watch, works great.

soldier1969 soldier1969 said:

Not since the 90s.

Zahu said:

I purposefully decided to stop wearing a watch about 6 years ago because I realized I really didn't care about knowing the time every 2 seconds. Ive never missed it.

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

$50 Casio tough solar, solar powered rechargeable watch. Don't have to worry about it's battery dieing, ever. Went several years without a watch because my last one stopped keeping the time and always had a cell on me. But it's just not the same as having a watch.

JC713 JC713 said:

I also wear a Casio Solar. But I usually forget to wear it. Ever since I got an iPhone, it kinda kills the need. I really want a Pebble though, this could ramp up the watch industry again if it gets a price decrease.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Nope. Stopped wearing a watch when I retired out of the military.

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

I always wear my TAG Heuer CARRERA, a precious graduation gift.

m4a4 m4a4 said:

Yup. A timex.

MUCH more convenient than fishing out my phone, or dragging my phone around the house...

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

Nope - sure don't though it is the only jewelry I like. I just dislike even more the feeling of metal against my skin. I've tried watches with the leather band going across the back but they all look so cheap it's still not worth it - plus the leather makes me sweat too.

misor misor said:

Yes, timex is my favorite brand since my youth.

...plastic, cheap, and long life; cheap battery is easy to swap/replace.

davislane1 davislane1 said:

Yep. Nothing like a knock-off Mont Blanc to impress people with the time!

But yes, I do wear a watch any time I leave the house. As others have said, it's easier to look at my wrist than to whip out my phone when someone wants the time.

mario mario, Ex-TS Developer, said:

I think the only piece of jewelry a man should have is a watch, I have an automatic Baume et Mercier and eventually would like to get another watch, is not really a tool but more of a accessory for me.

kg4icg kg4icg said:

Yes I do still wear a watch .

Business Direct Business Direct said:

I wore a Wayne Gretzky watch for a week in 1982.

Duskywolf50 said:

I use watch for special events and it is automatic wristwatch which I don't worry about battery at all. I grew up with many watches, this is my last one (I hope) cause I keep replace battery and water got in. This is 30th watch.

Now I use my cellphone to check time.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Speaking of which, I can only wear a watch thats plastic (I hate plastic) and/or Stainless. The acids in my skin will make anything else corrode within six months.

Well, I'm older than 30 years... so yes I still wear a watch. I drag that dam smartphone with me everywhere I go, because I must given the terms of my employment contract. But when I want to know what time it is (quickly) I simply look at my 15 year $150 Seiko (analog read-out... digital is for children, and children wanting to be adults).

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

digital is for children, and children wanting to be adults.
Funny, my 25 year old Casio is a digital watch. And until now, I've never heard anyone say digital was for children. Maybe thats why everyone wants HDTV, because they want to be adults.

"Maybe thats why everyone wants HDTV, because they want to be adults."

Don't know about that (had HDTV for the past 13 years... much of my adult life). But I'll take a quick glimpse at my wrist watch anytime over dragging that dam phone out.

I bought an all-steel Rolex 26 years ago. I wear it constantly and it still keeps perfect time.

FLWrd said:

I was wearing a watch until a month ago or so, when it stopped running, just a week after putting in a new battery. Since then, I watch clocks in my environment for telling the time. The computer is the easiest one, but on the street there are usually clocks around, although I have the impression that their number has dropped. Getting out my phone to check the time is a bit of a kludge, since I first need to press a button to activate the display and then wait for the "Press * to ..." message to disappear, as the message is positioned exactly on top of the time. Plus, my phone tends to run slow.

mosu said:

I do and I always will...power of habit.It only got bigger..

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

I stopped using a watch years ago, it was because I realized I was looking at it out of habit, not even really interested in what the time was.

It took me months of watching my bare wrist before the habit wore off, and it always brought a smile to my face of how programmed we humans are. Because I was almost never interested in what time it was

I do love nice watches though, and I might start wearing one again in the very near future, time will tell

raypozas said:

Dont use a watch since I retired. Only my wedding ring. Cheap cellphone. Dont need to be online all the time. Remember when life was so much simpler.

Dawn1113 said:

I have several watches in my dresser drawer, but I use only two. I inherited a beautiful, dainty little Bulova from an aunt. I wear that to formal occasions. For typical work days and everything else, I have a trusty steel and ceramic Tag Heuer.

Zeutrinox Zeutrinox said:

Nope, not at all.

negroplasty negroplasty said:

Lol no and the question even makes me laugh. Why carry a watch when I have a perfectly good and always accurate phone in my pocket?

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I wear an Omega Constellation because:

1. It's a matching pair, was a wedding gift
  2. It's automatic so if I don't wear it for a few days it stops
  3. It actually looks awesome

A lot of the time I still end up looking at the time on my phone though...

I wear a titanium Seiko solar powered watch. It's got no cronograph, digital display or any of that crap. It tells me the time!

The only people I know who'll ditch their watch for a phone are I-Phone users and that's because they are either too dumb or too lazy to read a watch. Finally... I do have a fantastic Galaxy Nexus with an analog clock on lock screen.

63Jax said:

I wear a 500 eu CK elegant watch, I love it!

taimuraly taimuraly said:

I wear watches occasionally, usually when I am wearing formal.

A good time piece does make a suit look better and kinda completes the look.

ETF Soldier ETF Soldier said:

Yeah, I wear a simple digital casio. It's easy enough to tell the time on a phone, but hardly as convenient as glancing at your wrist - especially with the fact that it's waterproof, and I don't lose anything from wearing it. If there's nothing to lose, then why not?

Haven't worn one in over ten years now, ever since mobile phones become portable and convenient enough to use as a replacement. Watches are really only timekeeping devices like 10% of the time anyway, and 90% status symbols/demonstrations of apparent wealth which puts me off the entire notion of them anyway. I know that's not the case for everyone, but really if it weren't the case everyone would be wearing a watch that cost <$50, not obscene $1000> dollar monstrosities.

I still use a timex the ex mother-in-law found in the garbage. Works great after 26 years!

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

I wear one in the spring and summer when it's not covered up with a big jacket., and when I go out somewhere nice.

p51d007 said:

I always wear a watch. Easier to look at my wrist, than to grab the phone out of my pocket & turn it on.

stonarda said:

Been so long since I used mine - seems it has dissapeared, but I can still hear it beep every so often!

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

It takes much less time to look at the time on my wrist, than to pull my phone out of my pocket and look at the time, so yes I wear a watch.

rvnwlfdroid said:

I use to wear a watch all the time. Then I started a job where the shifts were 12 hours and I found myself looking at it every 10 min. That makes for a long night so I stopped. I just can't bring myself to wear one again (yet). I'm not big on iProducts but if a decent one (with features I like) becomes available for android I may re-evaluate wearing/getting one then.