Weekend Open Forum: Do you still wear a watch?

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

There isn't a week that goes by where we don't hear about how the rapid adoption of smartphones and tablets are displacing other technology segments. For many folks, a competent high-end handset can comfortably replace various portable media players, dedicated gaming handhelds, audio and video recorders, a basic camera, a GPS and plenty more -- but even the crappiest phone will tell you what time it is.

A couple decades ago, wristwatches were practically a necessity, especially for folks with hectic schedules. While most watches still offer an advantage over phones in battery life, durability and accessibility, they seem somewhat redundant for everyday life today. Do you still wear a watch? If so, why? Is there some practical purpose? Just an old habit? Merely for style? If you've stopped wearing one, is it because you carry a phone?

Permalink to story.

I do when I'm out and about or at a special occasion. Wearing a nice watch is still a status symbol, but I'm not pretentious enough to wear a Rolex, I wear Bulova.

Yes I do, and don't have to worry about charging it every 1-5 days. The battery last several year without needing replaced and only cost a dollar or two. Can you say that about a Cell Phone Battery?

I work in an environment that's not safe for smartphones so I need a watch. I wear a G9000 Mudman. I put it through the wringer and its never let me down.
This might sound like an advertisement but it's not. I just love my watch. :>

I don't know why I wouldn't, even with a phone on me. It's quicker to turn my wrist and see the time. I only wear a $90 metal Lorus that I've had for over 10 years, but I like how it looks and feel naked without it.

Yes, I wear a watch every day. I recently replaced an older "dumb phone" and dedicated mp3 player with a new smartphone, but I still find a watch much more convenient for quickly and easily telling the time.

Sure I do! Even though its easier to see what time it is in my cell phone, I believe a watch gives you presence and status.

Up till a few years ago, I wore an inexpensive one because I rode the bus every place & needed to know.
I eventually got tired of people asking me what time it was. I usually told them it must be time to buy a watch.
A few years later I decided to buy another watch & was shocked at the prices for even a kiddie watch ($30).
I eventually went to a dollar store & got a Mickey Mouse digital watch, works great.

I purposefully decided to stop wearing a watch about 6 years ago because I realized I really didn't care about knowing the time every 2 seconds. Ive never missed it.

$50 Casio tough solar, solar powered rechargeable watch. Don't have to worry about it's battery dieing, ever. Went several years without a watch because my last one stopped keeping the time and always had a cell on me. But it's just not the same as having a watch.

$50 Casio tough solar, solar powered rechargeable watch. Don't have to worry about it's battery dieing, ever. Went several years without a watch because my last one stopped keeping the time and always had a cell on me. But it's just not the same as having a watch.
I also wear a Casio Solar. But I usually forget to wear it. Ever since I got an iPhone, it kinda kills the need. I really want a Pebble though, this could ramp up the watch industry again if it gets a price decrease.

Yup. A timex.
MUCH more convenient than fishing out my phone, or dragging my phone around the house...

Nope - sure don't though it is the only jewelry I like. I just dislike even more the feeling of metal against my skin. I've tried watches with the leather band going across the back but they all look so cheap it's still not worth it - plus the leather makes me sweat too.

Yes, timex is my favorite brand since my youth.
...plastic, cheap, and long life; cheap battery is easy to swap/replace. :)

Yep. Nothing like a knock-off Mont Blanc to impress people with the time! :D

But yes, I do wear a watch any time I leave the house. As others have said, it's easier to look at my wrist than to whip out my phone when someone wants the time.

I think the only piece of jewelry a man should have is a watch, I have an automatic Baume et Mercier and eventually would like to get another watch, is not really a tool but more of a accessory for me.

Back