Seagate celebrates milestone: First to ship two billion hard drives

By on March 12, 2013, 11:30 AM

Seagate is celebrating a milestone today as they claim to be the first hard drive manufacturer to ship two billion units worldwide. Perhaps more impressive, however, is the fact that it took 29 years to sell the first billion and just four years to sell the second billion according to a press release posted on Segate’s website.

The company said recent sales have been fueled by the demand for storage from mobile apps, cloud infrastructures, social media, business applications and a wide variety of consumer markets. Steve Luczo, president, CEO and chairman of Seagate said the achievement is a testament to the commitment of his employees whose relentless dedication and personal pride continue to be the fabric of the company.

Looking forward, Seagate believes that user generated content like HD video and still photos will quadruple storage needs by 2015. Seagate estimates that shipments will reach 585 million units in 2013 and further noted that terabyte shipments worldwide will grow at a 30 percent compound annual growth rate through 2016.

I can remember a time when a 20GB hard drive was a massive amount of storage but of course that was before most people were creating their own digital media. Furthermore, mission critical software like the operating system consumed far less space than they used to. Even just a few short years ago, a 1TB drive seemed like complete overkill yet now many new computers ship with drives of this capacity.

3 people like this | Cueto_99 said:

I remember times when I carried around a box of ten, 1.44mb diskettes... that was massive!

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

My very first PC (Apple IIe) sported two 360KB floppy drives. One for the operating system and one for storage. It was mega.

2 people like this | misor misor said:

My first computer, a Pentium 166mhz mmxm had a 2.1gb hdd.

I can only install/play one game red alert or Caesar 3.

inventix1136 said:

Is it just me or did the quality of drives drop quite dramatically. It used to be that warranty for a drive was between 3 to 5 years but now Seagate has only a year and A LOT of failures.

P.S. WD seems to also have a quality issue or perhaps Newegg because 4 out of 4 WD 1TB blacks that I ordered were DOA. (Ordered one, DOA, got a RMA, the RMA also had failed sectors so another RMA, which also had failed sectors, so finally tried another and that one also failed -- then I got a refund...).

Seagate had 1-2 iterations of drives that had abnormally high failure rates, the 7200.10 (biggest one) and 7200.11.

The warranty is 2 years if your register with them. I've been running seagate for a long time as have had several of my friends. We all run with WD as well and frankly both brands have been doing fine at least for me. We all slipped the 7200.10 and 7200.11 though.

Both companies have bad batches that slip past QC and DOA drives are pretty random, guess you had bad luck :P

2 people like this | JC713 JC713 said:

First to sell 2 billion garbage hard drives lol. All the seagates I have used have failed within days. WD is the best for hard drives in my opinion.

1 person liked this | H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Had 2 Seagate drive sand after 5 years I still have them working fine. The Samsung and Hitachi drives broke within 1 year (well Samsung one is dying slowly). RMA with Hitachi... HDD got lost.

Next purchase either Seagate or WD.

JC713 JC713 said:

Next purchase either Seagate or WD.

Yeah, it is different with everybody, I just personally dont trust them, but you do(y) . That is why we cant have monopolies haha.

1 person liked this | SantistaUSA said:

My first computer, a Pentium 166mhz mmxm had a 2.1gb hdd.

I can only install/play one game red alert or Caesar 3.

Good old times, my first computer was a Pentium 200Mhz with a 2.1Gb HD as well, bring back good memories! :-)

Carleton Wu Carleton Wu said:

They must be including all the warranty replacements. I have even had warranty replacements of the warranty replacements fail. After a while, it's like, "what's the point of a warranty?" Seagate... never again!

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

These are used in Dell's, from at least five years ago until today. That'd help boost numbers too.

JC713 JC713 said:

Ah really. I never knew what they used lol

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

Drive manufacturers just put out bad drives occationally. IBM released the 'Deathstar' (Deskstar) drives about 10-12 years ago that had an incredibly high failure rate. Whoever had the 1.5TB drives out early had really high failures too, supposedly it was fixed with a firmware update, but I updated mine and it still died. (I have a lot of drives, keeping track of which ones I've RMA'd over the years is tough)

1 person liked this | TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

It's easy to sell 2 billion HDD when 1 billion of them failed in the first year and you have to go pick up another one. I wonder how many refurbs they handle if they are shipping 2 billion drives?

havok585 havok585 said:

My first computer, a Pentium 166mhz mmxm had a 2.1gb hdd.

I can only install/play one game red alert or Caesar 3.

Same here but I had a custom PCI SCSI controller with a 4 GB IBM 7200 RPM HDD, which was quite expensive at that time.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

The first computer with a hard drive I used was a Macintosh SE/30. It had a 20 Meg (yes Meg) hard drive and 1 Meg of RAM. It was my dad's when the military sent him back to school for a graduate degree. The first computer I bought for myself with my money had an 8 GB Quantum Bigfoot drive. 5.25" rather than 3.5", also really loud, that computer also had 48 Megs of RAM.

Scumbag Seagate still doesn't standardize their S.M.A.R.T. data to match other hard drives

Dell uses more of WD hard drives in their business computer lines. That alone may tell you something right there.

(Source)

I open at least 10 new Optiplex/Precisions a month.

I personally do NOT trust Seagate hard drives whatsoever. I actually preferred Samsung hard drives for data storage(before seagate bought the samsung hard drive division) and WD for all other.