Study says Bing is five times more likely to find malware than Google

By on April 12, 2013, 8:30 AM

An 18-month study has concluded that searches on Bing are five times more likely to link users to malicious websites than searches through Google. The study, conducted by German independent testing firm AV-Test, noted that although strides have been made to curb malware-infested websites, they still manage to appear among the top search results for a given query.

Data for the study was collected from close to 40 million websites spanning seven different search engines. Roughly 25 percent of the results came from Bing while Google accounted for another 25 percent, we’re told. Some 13 million results were supplied via Russian search engine Yandex with the remainder provided by Baidu, Blekko, Faroo and Teoma.

The results weren’t terribly alarming as only 5,000 instances of malware were discovered across the 40 million sites – a rather small percentage. Of those 5,000, Google delivered the least followed by Bing. Yandex had a rather large number of malware hits comparatively as some 3,300 malicious links were found out of the 13 million search results.

In total, Google had only 272 malicious results out of 10 million searches while Bing returned 1,285 dangerous links across the same number of searches. Blekko only found 203 malicious results out of nearly three million results.

PCMag estimated that the odds of finding a malware-laden website via Google search is about one in 40,118. Keep in mind, however, that those odds are repeated billions of times each day so it’s inevitable that there are some dangerous results being returned to unsuspecting users.

Vicenarian said:

"Bing on the malware"

treetops treetops said:

Why am a I not surprised.

Any moment now some kid will post "google paid them to say that"

I'm still waiting for someone to say "You mean people actually use Bing?"

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

This still doesn't make Google look good in my eyes. I will take my chances with Bing. Call me an Anti-Google fan boy, a hatred that started many years ago. I will use anything other than Google, if I have a choice.

Death to Google!

Death to Google!

2 people like this | wastedkill said:

Death to Google!

Death to Google!

Glad someone is crippling there experiences without being forced to then Being Anti-google comes with many possitives like getting malware and finding out you have had your credit card stolen thanks to microsofts great security

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Any other reasons, I have no issue with those two.

Ha! No kidding! Anyone using Bing at all out there?

:D

JC713 JC713 said:

I think it is becuase Microsoft advertises their search engine. I have never seen a Google Search commercial. I have only seen a nexus commercial and a Chrome commercial. People will think that because it is advertised, then more people use it.

I'd like to reply simply to the title of this headline. a study also shows only ****** who dont use adblockers and open random exe files and shit get the viruses. so its their fault. install web of trust and be smart

regan said:

Bing can find malware riddled sites but it cant find just about anything I;ve ever searched on there

LukeDJ LukeDJ said:

Death to Google!

Death to Google!

Clifford, out of curiosity, why do you not like Google?

msm44 msm44 said:

Microsoft has a track record of only improving a product until they destroy the competition and once that happens they coast. Just look at IE. They improved it nearly 4x a year until they bankrupted Netscape and then once the competition was gone, IE stagnated for what, 5 years? Then when threatened by Firefox IE started to improve once again. This makes MS a marketing company much more than a software company.

Tho Google has made mistakes, they don't ever seem to just "rest on the their laurels" like MS has a record of doing. So although I'm glad that Bing has brought some competition to the marketplace, I won't use it because using it has the potential for future stagnation. I don't want to take that chance, even though against Google, that chance is minimal.

RmandsDC RmandsDC said:

Well...I have always hated Bing, it just doesn't fell natural, it is...just crap.

Tgard said:

Msm44 said:

Ummm.... you do know that you can instantly switch to another search engine right? It's not like proprietary software or something, it's just a search engine and again you can switch instantly. I happen to use different search engines depending on which browser or computer I am using at the time. I am just sayin'.....

Google paid )))