LG to ship smartphone with flexible OLED screen later this year

By on April 25, 2013, 2:30 PM

LG vice president of mobile Yoon Bu-hyun recently told the Wall Street Journal that his company would be launching a smartphone featuring a flexible OLED display later this year. Specifically, the handset will reach consumers during the fourth quarter but he came up short with any other details.

Odds are that we won’t see a smartphone with a freely bendable display as other components like the case, battery and processor would prevent that. Instead, LG is much more likely to produce a handset with a curved display similar to the Samsung prototype that was on display at this year’s Consumer Electronics Show.

That device featured a display that wrapped around the edge of a phone. Samsung said it was designed to allow users to quickly read a text message or stock ticker from the side without having to pull the handset out for a front-on view.

At the time, Samsung senior vice president of display Brian Berkeley said he believed flexible displays would begin to change how people interact with handheld devices and could open up new lifestyle possibilities.

We’ve been hearing about next generation flexible OLED displays for quite some time now but the reality is, noting has come to market yet. That’s because it’s incredibly difficult to manufacture flexible screens. Even now, production yields are still pretty low so it’ll be interesting to see if LG can keep their promise of a fourth quarter flexible OLED smartphone.

JC713 JC713 said:

I dont think it is economical to make a curved screen just to view messages without having to remove your phone.

1 person liked this | MilwaukeeMike said:

I agree, but this type of technology strikes me as something that might have applications we haven't even imagined yet. Or... it might just be an expensive gimmick.

ArthurZ ArthurZ said:

And this is despite Corning's CEO saying such technology is several years away. May be this holds true for the slow changing Apple though.

RzmmDX said:

This needs to be applied to tablets so I could roll it up like a newspaper and start whacking people.

soldier1969 soldier1969 said:

I'm anxious to see what Samsung has with this tech come the Note 3 this Fall. Rollable/foldable maybe?

VitalyT VitalyT said:

Doesn't look in any way useful. It's twisted.

Timonius Timonius said:

Whatever. A flexible display is useless without the rest of the hardware being flexible. EPIC fail.

@ Timonius

exactly,

Ben: "Hey Joe look at my new phone, it has a bendable screen! "

Joe: "Oh really? cool, let me see! Show me, can I see you bend it?"

Ben: "Well, uhmmm...no.

Long before android was invented, you can found many phone with bendable screen in Japan, even you can find a phone that can wrap to your wrist like snap bracelet, just slap it to your wrist, then the phone will curved wrap your wrist

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Handy. This means I can fold up my new 10" cell phone and carry it around in my wallet.

For everyone saying a curved screen is useless, I have one word for you. "Pocketable!" All we see is phones with bigger and bigger screens. It would be nice to put it in your pocket without it sticking out like a brick. Even if the sides curved in a bit I would buy it simply because I dont like to carry a 4'' phone in my pocket! Feels like its going to break.

The rest of you can say its dumb and just carry a Merse for all I care.

JC713 JC713 said:

There is development of flexible circuitry and batteries. Dont be quick to judge.