Nintendo releases major Wii U update: faster load times, better performance

By on April 26, 2013, 12:30 PM

Nintendo has released a major system update which promises Wii U owners numerous improvements, most notably faster boot times, load times and task switching. The highly repairable console has been criticized for its long loads and sluggish performance, prompting Nintendo's president to publicly address the issue several months ago.

Nintendo is also touting a host of new services, enhanced features and stability improvements. Here's the list of advertised changes:

• The time required to start the Wii U console, launch built-in applications, exit software and return to the main menu, jump between applications, and jump between software and Miiverse has been reduced.
  • While the Wii U logo is being displayed during the system startup, users can directly transition to the Wii Menu by holding down the B Button on the Wii U GamePad.
  • Users can install games and applications from the Nintendo eShop in the background while other software is being used.
  • When powering off during a download, Wii U will go into a standby mode, then power off when all downloads and installations are complete.
  • Users can transfer and copy data between two USB storage devices in Data Management. This allows users the opportunity to upgrade or replace a current USB storage device that is connected to the Wii U Console.
  • Users can control the priority of their downloads when downloading multiple items at once.
  • Improved account selection when powering on the system now displays Nintendo Network IDs to clearly distinguish accounts.
  • TV screen size output can now be adjusted in the System Settings.
  • An Undo/Redo button was added to the Miiverse drawing input screen.

Nintendo's Virtual Console feature though -- an addition promised this spring -- is missing from the list of changes. Virtual Console will allow Wii U gamers to purchase and enjoy classic NES and SNES titles offered by Nintendo's official digital store for $5 to $6 and $8 to $9, respectively. The company says that Nintendo 64 and Game Boy Advance titles will also be made available in the future.

Still mildly interested in the WiiU but Ninty needs to get a wicked new Zelda, Mario or Metroid game out immediately. NSMB U looks nice enough but it's not a system seller. If they don't get something HUGE out at least 2-3 months before the PS4/NextBox comes out they're in deep doo doo.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Nintendo? I'd forgotten they even existed. Thinking about it, I don't know anyone who even owns a Nintendo product nowadays although I used to own a Popeye game on a Nintendo handheld back in the early 80's.

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

I think the WiiU was in trouble 2 years ago after this interview -

One thing I should mention is my cell phone is 1080p

cmbjive said:

Well, don't expect much from them at E3. There will be no presser from Nintendo at E3; I assume that means they will not be showing any big games. I could be wrong, but ceding that type of ground to Sony and Microsoft is a tacit admission that the Wii U will in no way be competitive to either machine.

killeriii said:

Really?

Almost everyone I know has had a Wii. (at least 3 out of 5)

Nintendo sold more Wii units in North America than Microsoft sold Xbox360's.

Not to mention, everyone's kid has a DS or 3DS. (made by Nintendo)

1 person liked this | Ravik Ravik said:

About time! This update addresses several of the complaints I had with the Wii-U. I'm still waiting for them to stop trying to treat the Wii-U and the 3DS as separate consoles, and join the two together. There's no reason the eShop for Wii-U and 3DS can't serve each other, and there's no reason I shouldn't be able to connect my 3DS to my Wii-U as a secondary controller. The two systems should work together in unison.

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

I went hands-on only once with a Wii U for about a minute or so. I never played a game, because it just sat there loading.

If 3DS only had a second analog pad...

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

I've own Wii (White) and Wii (Black) Namco Exerbeat Rocks! But besides all of that Wii U doesn't interest me the Wii (Black) I've had that since early 2012 does all what I need too do.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

What are the prices like for 'AAA'-Nintendo games in USA? Super Mario Bros 1 on Wii still goes for $60-90 here in Australia, same with any of their other really popular games. The lowest I've seen is like $25 on things like Paper Mario and Kirby's Adventure.

These things should be $20 a pop.