Nintendo releases major Wii U update: faster load times, better performance

Rick

Nintendo has released a major system update which promises Wii U owners numerous improvements, most notably faster boot times, load times and task switching. The highly repairable console has been criticized for its long loads and sluggish performance, prompting Nintendo's president...

[newwindow="https://www.techspot.com/news/52374-nintendo-releases-major-wii-u-update-faster-load-times-better-performance.html"]Read more[/newwindow]

G

Still mildly interested in the WiiU but Ninty needs to get a wicked new Zelda, Mario or Metroid game out immediately. NSMB U looks nice enough but it's not a system seller. If they don't get something HUGE out at least 2-3 months before the PS4/NextBox comes out they're in deep doo doo.

Skidmarksdeluxe

Nintendo? I'd forgotten they even existed. Thinking about it, I don't know anyone who even owns a Nintendo product nowadays although I used to own a Popeye game on a Nintendo handheld back in the early 80's.

LNCPapa

TS Special Forces
I think the WiiU was in trouble 2 years ago after this interview -
One thing I should mention is my cell phone is 1080p ;)

cmbjive

Still mildly interested in the WiiU but Ninty needs to get a wicked new Zelda, Mario or Metroid game out immediately. NSMB U looks nice enough but it's not a system seller. If they don't get something HUGE out at least 2-3 months before the PS4/NextBox comes out they're in deep doo doo.
Well, don't expect much from them at E3. There will be no presser from Nintendo at E3; I assume that means they will not be showing any big games. I could be wrong, but ceding that type of ground to Sony and Microsoft is a tacit admission that the Wii U will in no way be competitive to either machine.

killeriii

Nintendo? I'd forgotten they even existed. Thinking about it, I don't know anyone who even owns a Nintendo product nowadays although I used to own a Popeye game on a Nintendo handheld back in the early 80's.
Really?
Almost everyone I know has had a Wii. (at least 3 out of 5)
Nintendo sold more Wii units in North America than Microsoft sold Xbox360's.
http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/
Not to mention, everyone's kid has a DS or 3DS. (made by Nintendo)

Ravik

About time! This update addresses several of the complaints I had with the Wii-U. I'm still waiting for them to stop trying to treat the Wii-U and the 3DS as separate consoles, and join the two together. There's no reason the eShop for Wii-U and 3DS can't serve each other, and there's no reason I shouldn't be able to connect my 3DS to my Wii-U as a secondary controller. The two systems should work together in unison.

Reactions: killeriii

spydercanopus

I went hands-on only once with a Wii U for about a minute or so. I never played a game, because it just sat there loading.

There's no reason the eShop for Wii-U and 3DS can't serve each other, and there's no reason I shouldn't be able to connect my 3DS to my Wii-U as a secondary controller.
If 3DS only had a second analog pad...

tipstir

I've own Wii (White) and Wii (Black) Namco Exerbeat Rocks! But besides all of that Wii U doesn't interest me the Wii (Black) I've had that since early 2012 does all what I need too do.

St1ckM4n

What are the prices like for 'AAA'-Nintendo games in USA? Super Mario Bros 1 on Wii still goes for $60-90 here in Australia, same with any of their other really popular games. The lowest I've seen is like $25 on things like Paper Mario and Kirby's Adventure.

These things should be $20 a pop.