Weekend Open Forum: What is your favorite video game franchise?

By on April 26, 2013, 6:30 PM

I’ve seen a number of franchises come and go since I started playing video games some 25 years ago. Regardless of genre, there’s no shortage of franchises that have been stellar over the years with many living on even to this day through a myriad of sequels and reboots.

Some of my all-time favorites include Metroid, Mega Man, Twisted Metal, The Legend of Zelda, Need for Speed, Resident Evil, Mortal Kombat, Street Figther and Sonic the Hedgehog, just to name a few. I’ve played some of the newer franchises like Tomb Raider, Battlefield and Call of Duty as well but there’s just something about the nostalgia around classic titles that draws me in.

With this week’s open forum, we want to know what your favorite video game franchise is. Do you prefer classics like Mario and Final Fantasy or are you more into newer hits like Halo, God of War and StarCraft?

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Mass Effect and GTA is deffo up there in the top 3.

treeski treeski said:

Probably Half-Life and Portal.

MilwaukeeMike said:

The games I'd play today really can't compete with the enjoyment I got out of Zelda when I was a kid. I can still hum the music to the original. I probably played more Mario, but Zelda was the coolest in my book.

howzz1854 said:

I've been waiting for this week's weekend game deal. where is it?

Guille Guille said:

Grand Theft Auto & The Elder Scrolls!

Cycloid Torus Cycloid Torus said:

Fallout (1,2 & Tactics available at GOG.com , Steam has the 4 best) is #1 in my book.

Jagged Alliance (wish there was an updated version for 1st one) & Elder Scrolls (including Nehrim, a total conversion mod) tied for #2 spot - subject to revision as soon as I get hardware capable enough to do Skyrim right.

1 person liked this | yorro said:

Half-Life franchise.

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

If I have to pick one, it would have to be Battlefield, because of how amazing BFBC2 and BF3 are.

Second place goes to Rocksteady's Batman games.

1 person liked this | TrueBooleanFals TrueBooleanFals said:

Single-Player: Zelda

Multiplayer shooter: Battlefield (loved BF2142 and BC2, starting to hate 3)

MMO: World of Warcraft... yes, I can do that.

soldier1969 soldier1969 said:

I'd have to say Metal Gear Solid on the PS one thru MGS 4 on the PS3. Close second is the Battlefield games. Still playing BF3 like the first day.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

Civilization is the only franchise I still play.

Darkshadoe Darkshadoe said:

Bioshock series

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Metal Gear Solid for me. I just love the development and thought that's put into the games, plus I was pretty much born on MGS1 in a gaming sense.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

/R.I.P.

Hallo104 said:

Castlevania

Dracula, Simon, Alucard, the rest of the Belmont clans

Twixtea said:

Mass Effect hands down!

Bioshock comes second!

spectrenad said:

The Witcher for the atmosphere. Nothing 100% white, nothing 100% dark. Everything is shades of grey. I like that. And it's prob the only real Mature game out there. My favorite franchise so far.

Mass Effect would be in my top 3 too. It's also very immersing. For me, it just felt like every little detail of the game has it's place, that every one of them is thought deeply and has a reason to be. I liked the 1st one better because of that.

To this list, I would add Halo. Always fun for the multiplayer aspect. And with all the custom gamemodes, it's hard to get tired of it.

1 person liked this | Lurker101 said:

A franchise that I've learned to enjoy, not for playing but for poking fun at, is Tomb Raider. A franchise centred around a completely unlike-able sociopath. A rich, snooty, glorified grave-robber with a penchant for eviscerating endangered wildlife and murdering evil people. Evil, of course meaning people who are significantly poorer than her and could probably do with selling a few ancient treasures so they can afford to do rather silly things like eat and pay the rent.

The latest incarnation, Tomb Raider 2013 dials up the stupidity even further by being the Rambo wannabe (seriously, watch Rambo first, then play through TR2013 and you'll see what I mean) that walks like a reboot, trying to turn Croft into a grizzled, desperate survivor on a semi-tribalistic island that just happens to have an army of samurais in gleamingly clean, full plate armour to boot. She goes through apparent pangs of guilt the first time she kills Bambis mum and a man who looked like he was trying to rape her but turns out he just wanted to throttle her (the timings on the QTEs are a bit obtuse), but after the one kill of each, you're happily wiping out all of the wildlife in each area map and building up for the Accomplished Killer perk. Such a brilliant game with tone that couldn't be more consistent if the developers had Croft gently giggling to herself as her bodycount rises higher and higher.

The big thing that makes me laugh though is the way the focus shifts around Laras body from game to game. It started with an apparent mouse slip accident on the first game that gave Croft a Kim Possible-esque pointy set of double Ds, then it's moved around to her rear, her legs, her skin getting dirty and now to her hair. I wonder if the bookies are willing to take bets on what's going to get the key focus in the next game...

Oh, I also quite like the Fallout series.

Jyrkz said:

Long story short..

1: Diablo // 3rd was dissipointment for me. *wow style cartoonish*

2: Staract

3: Half-Life

4. Witcher

5. Mass Effect

Draconian said:

Mafia series

Age of Empires

Max Payne

Warcraft

Half Life, Independence War and Deus Ex. ^^

SalaSSin said:

I've been waiting for this week's weekend game deal. where is it?

Dunno, but Bro Tip:

Subscribe to all online game vendors with a disposable email address, and check it once a week, found some sweet ass deals that way!

madduriaditya madduriaditya said:

Games from Electronic Arts and Dice.

I bleed for nfs series

1 person liked this | ETF Soldier ETF Soldier said:

Half-Life (and Portal)

Fallout & The Elder Scrolls

Grand Theft Auto

Warhammer 40,000

Half Life is easily the best, and Half Life 3/ 2 episode 3 has been hinted very heavily over the last few months, so I'm buzzing for that - and Portal is the same universe so I kinda count them as the same franchise.

Fallout & The Elder Scrolls, I know they're different series but I don't know which I like more!

GTA just because guys, just because.

Warhammer 40,000 (DoW, Space Marine, the tabletop game) has one of the largest universes of any fiction, and the way it makes me feel is just mkmmhkmmlmnnmmmmmmm, it's pretty amazing, although I'm quite tentative on how EA are going to pursue it with Relic (There's a lot of speculation that although they bought Relic, they didn't actually pick up the IP for DoW, so fingers crossed!)

Franchises that fall short:

- Splinter Cell, they're good but not world class, although I am looking forward to Blacklist.

- Guitar Hero, while they provide hours of entertainment, there's been very little innovation since GH : World Tour.

- Halo? The storylines were epic, I can't deny, but the patriotism and blindness of the human race in these types of futuristic games really makes me want to punch the developers, but as I said, the storyline is epic, and I love the relationship between MC and Cortana.

- DYNASTY WARRIORS! Easily one of my favourite games, but they have made a number of mistakes with the series, DW6 was a big mistake, it was a dull rehash of DW3. DW7 is great, but they need things like Character Creation and a proper Free Mode, but everything else is good. I'm eagerly awaiting DW8 because Zou Ci is rumoured to return.

So yeah, there's my opinion.

1 person liked this | RmandsDC RmandsDC said:

Definitely Half-Life and Portal!

fraggleki said:

Definitely Half-life and Unreal-Tournament.

Ranger12 Ranger12 said:

Nothing will ever match the enjoyment I got out of the Rollercoaster Tycoon series years ago.

Borderlands is second

Age of Empires is third

Diablo is fourth

Puiu Puiu said:

So hard to pick, but if I really have to, then it would be Half-Life and Max Payne, but there still are many that I haven't played yet.

m4a4 m4a4 said:

That one's hard. So here's a list :P

-Front Mission

-Super Smash Bros

-Elder Scrolls

-Halo

Mass Effect used to be in there, but the ending really turned me away...

Blkfx1 Blkfx1 said:

Final Fantasy (One of the few fanboys left).

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Fallout, Mass Effect, Age of Empires and the Zork triology.

Fallout, Half-Life, STALKER, and Battelfield are the ones that kept my attention and gave me the most for my money. Love them.

Alpha Gamer Alpha Gamer said:

Street Fighter

Sonic

Golden Axe

Resident Evil

Batman

Diablo

STARFOX BABY.

1 person liked this | cldmstrsn cldmstrsn said:

I have to say that the Final Fantasy series has been the most influential to me. It was 1999 and I had just met a group of guys ( we are still friends to this day) who were into pc gaming and just gaming in general. I always loved games but I would stick with the marios and street fighters in my earlier years. My friend introduced me to a little game called Final Fantasy VII. I went home put it in my playstation and I was blown away by what I was experiencing. I had never seen anything like it ever and it sucked me in so much I think I played through it back to back at least three times. Soon after I had put it down FF VIII had come out and was able to play that almost right away and I became a little obsessed with the series. to this day I still go through at least 2 or 3 FF titles a year. This year so far I have beaten FF XII and FF IX and I am working on FF Tactics on my psp ( I think this might be my 5th playthrough) while everyone has their opinion on which one is best or which one sucks, I have to say that I have enjoyed every single one and appreciate each own in their own right and always look forward to the next iteration.

Dawn of War series (Relic's RTS) and Total war series. nuff said.

gplayersv said:

I'd have to say:

1. Half Life

2. Starcraft

3. Diablo

4. Mass Effect

5. Bioshock

6. Dead Space

7. Mafia

8. Fallout

9. M&M and HOM&M

1 person liked this | mrtraver said:

Freespace. Even though there are only two "official" releases and one expansion, the source code was opened a few years ago and there is still a very active modding community releasing new campaigns, conversions, graphics updates, etc.

The Witcher 1 & 2

Batman Arkham City

Tomb Raider

Pro Evolution Soccer

1 person liked this | Lurker101 said:

while everyone has their opinion on which one is best or which one sucks

While it may be true that everyone has their own opinion on Final Fantasy games, that doesn't mean there's no wrong answer. Rumour has it that if anyone genuinely tries to defend FFXIII online, they instantly get put on a government depopulation list.

If that rumour isn't true, and there's somebody with the capabilities reading this, could you do us all a favour and make it true?

soulsassassin said: