Nexus 11 tablet specs hit the web ahead of Google I/O

By on April 30, 2013, 1:00 PM

Google may be preparing to unveil a larger Nexus tablet in the coming weeks if the most recent rumors pan out. The latest from the rumor mill suggests Google will showcase a Nexus 11 tablet at the company’s upcoming I/O conference and lucky for us, the leak includes a preliminarily list of hardware specifications.

SamMobile, a publication with a solid track record with regard to hardware predictions, recently discovered the Nexus 11 on Samsung’s 2013 tablet roadmap. The 11-inch slate is expected to boast a Super PLS TFT screen that some believe will operate at 1,920 x 1,080 or perhaps even the same 2,560 x 1,600 resolution found on the Nexus 10.

The tablet will likely ship with Samsung’s eight-core Exynos 5410 chip which consists of four Cortex-A15 cores for demanding tasks and four Cortex-A7 cores to handle lighter loads and preserve battery life. A front-facing 2-megapixel camera and an 8-megapixel rear camera are expected to be included in addition to a microSD expansion slot.

The publication suggests a lower-end version of the slate could be in the works as well. Branded as a Samsung Galaxy Tab 11, this slate would no doubt carry the company’s TouchWiz overlay and more than likely a less powerful Exynos 5250 processor to keep costs down.

Given other large tablets like Asus’ dual-booting Transformer AiO at 18.4-inches, do you think consumers will be interested in tablets larger than 10.1-inches? At what point do they simply become too large to be convenient?

bexwhitt said:

You could easily make an 11 incher that is actually smaller than the ipad, though much bigger would be clumsy

JC713 JC713 said:

What is the point of an 11 inch tablet? At least add 2 inches from the 10 inch version. 1 inch isnt much of a difference.

MilwaukeeMike said:

You know what they say about guys with 11 inch tablets, don't you?

Poor battery life.

JC713 JC713 said:

Well, it uses an 8 core CPU with 4 cores meant to be for powerful applications and another 4 cores for less strenuous applications. Plus, if it has a 1080P screen, then the battery life may not be an issue,

Gopal Bhat Gopal Bhat said:

I'm more interested in the Nexus 7 refresh (Nexus 8?).

Hope it's not made by Samsung. I've found dead pixels or dust under every display of theirs I've encountered.

ASUS on the otherhand have been ok; if the Nexus 7 is anything to go by.

JC713 JC713 said:

I'm more interested in the Nexus 7 refresh (Nexus 8?).

ASUS on the otherhand have been ok; if the Nexus 7 is anything to go by.

Samsung makes ASUS' products, at least I think. I guess it is your luck. I hate LG and prefer Samsung in terms of panels. I was happy my iPhone is a Samsung panel since I hear from friends that LG makes crappy panels for phones.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I'm more interested in the Nexus 5. I hope we won't have to wait for Motorola's "X Phone" in the Fall to know who's the next in line for the Nexus brand.

JC713 JC713 said:

The Nexus 5 will most likely be shown off at Google iO in May.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

The Nexus 5 will most likely be shown off at Google iO in May.

I don't think so.

They could announce Key Lime Pie (though unlikely), or more likely, announce Jelly Bean 4.3 with some nice improvements (hopefully a follow-up to their Project Butter). But whatever that's announced will be for this rumored Nexus 11 and as an update for the Nexus phones.

Google never announces their phone at I/O; they always leave that for the fall. I was just hoping we wouldn't have to wait for Motorola to see it. I personally hope Sony takes it this time.

MrAnderson said:

Adding support for MicroSD card alone makes this a no brainer for me if the price (give or take) is at the same point (give or take) the Nexus 10 was when it came out. 1080 is a must, but a more dense display is welcome. If this is all true, I can finally upgrade from my Xoom. Most desirable situation since it no longer gets the latest Android updates

Dev_Dasher Dev_Dasher said:

I actually couldn't care less about what Google announces because they're starting to make everything they touch more difficult for developers to monetize. I knew they started to abandon their devs when they changed their payout schedule earlier this year. I can understand Millennial Media, InMobi, or Tapjoy holding on to our payout longer.... but Google? Even Airpush is paying out weekly now. I don't think Google has enough respect for its most hardcore Android developers. Not letting us explore ad potential with Google Glass? All the signs point to the obvious, IMO.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

MicroUSB expansion is unlikely, unless Google suddenly changes their opinion on it.

bexwhitt said:

the problem with sd cards as google see them is it means people can't find their stuff. that is needed is or the automatic mapping of the bigger storage as sscard0

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

But then if SD fails or someone takes it out, the entire device is bricked.

JC713 JC713 said:

But then if SD fails or someone takes it out, the entire device is bricked.

Why would it be bricked? Sorry I am not too fimiliar with Android.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Android requires additional storage. SDcard0 is now the in-built 16GB or whatever phones come with. If a removable SD card were forced to be part of the system partition.... it would be like deleting System32. :P