Lenovo introduces Windows 8-inspired ThinkPad S431

By on April 30, 2013, 4:00 PM

Lenovo today announced a new edition to the venerable ThinkPad line, the S431. The notebook includes a multi-finger touchscreen that opens to 180-degrees, backlit keyboard with optimized shortcuts and a large, responsive touchpad – all designed with Windows 8 in mind.

The ThinkPad S431 manages to fit a 14-inch display into a 13-inch frame that features beveled edges designed to make the system look thinner than it actually is. Lenovo said the progressive design will help small businesses impress their customers while at the same time delivering the power needed to accelerate productivity.

Lenovo’s latest is powered by Intel’s latest (for a few more months, anyway) Core processors. The S431 can hold up to 8GB of system memory and a 500GB hard drive – both of which are limitations of the slim chassis, unfortunately, as comparables are capable of double the RAM and storage. It is, however, one of the first ThinkPads to connect to the ThinkPad OneLink Dock via a single cable that handles video, additional USB 3.0 ports and gigabit Ethernet.

The S431 will begin shipping in June 2013 starting at $699.

In related news, the ThinkPad Edge E431 and the E531 are now shipping. These mainstream machines were both announced earlier this year at the Consumer Electronics Show and are designed for businesses on a budget. The duo feature OneLink support, touch functionality and a five-button touchpad.

The ThinkPad Ege E431 and E531 both start at $599 from business partners and on Lenovo’s website.




User Comments: 5

Got something to say? Post a comment
JC713 JC713 said:

Good deal. Touch screen + backlit keyboard for $700. If only they could have gotten a SSD and a 1080P screen in there. But I guess my standards are a bit high,

Gopal Bhat Gopal Bhat said:

Good deal. Touch screen + backlit keyboard for $700. If only they could have gotten a SSD and a 1080P screen in there. But I guess my standards are a bit high,

Same here.

I'm waiting for something with the following from ASUS or Levovo:

13",14" or 15.6" 1080p IPS

Backlit Keyboard

Haswell CPU

3-4 USB 3.0 ports

DVD Drive for second HDD/SSD

mSATA port if above not available

Not too fussed about touchscreen or discrete gpu. But would love the leap motion device built in

JC713 JC713 said:

Same here.

I'm waiting for something with the following from ASUS or Levovo:

13",14" or 15.6" 1080p IPS

Backlit Keyboard

Haswell CPU

3-4 USB 3.0 ports

DVD Drive for second HDD/SSD

mSATA port if above not available

Not too fussed about touchscreen or discrete gpu. But would love the leap motion device built in

The Leap motion built in wont come for a while. With LCD panels getting thinner and thinner, it will be hard to integrate it straight in.

Gopal Bhat Gopal Bhat said:

The Leap motion built in wont come for a while. With LCD panels getting thinner and thinner, it will be hard to integrate it straight in.

Doubt it would have to be incorporated into the display. Do they even work like that?

[link]

Will just get one separately for my desktop anyway. Seems like a brilliant little device

JC713 JC713 said:

Doubt it would have to be incorporated into the display. Do they even work like that?

[link]

Will just get one separately for my desktop anyway. Seems like a brilliant little device

I guess they are incorporating it into the chassis then.

Load all comments...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.