Gigabyte U2442F 14-inch Ultrabook Review

By on May 13, 2013, 1:26 AM

It was 2011 and Intel saw a surging trend in mobile computing, admittedly inspired by Apple's Macbook Air. Notebooks were to become thinner, batteries had to last more, optical drives were going away, and performance, performance didn't have to suffer too much. Moreover, manufacturers didn't seem to be doing a whole lot to get on this trend, so Intel pushed forward by investing $300 million of its own money to make it happen.

There are currently more than two dozen 'Chief River' ultrabooks available from manufacturers such as Asus, Dell, Fujitsu, HP, Lenovo, Samsung, Sony and Gigabyte. Today we are checking out the latest model from Gigabyte. The U2442F is one of many U2442 variations, though as the flagship model it’s the most expensive and powerful.

Without question the Gigabyte U2442F is cutting edge stuff when it comes to ultrabook performance. Armed with a 3rd-Gen Core i7 processor, plenty of memory, and a quality SSD, the U2442F is as capable as a high-end desktop.

Read the complete review.




User Comments: 8

Got something to say? Post a comment
VitalyT VitalyT said:

Bringing a product to the market at the very end of the current hardware generation isn't a good strategy.

With Haswell just a few days away, who wants to invest into the almost obsolete Ivy Bridge platform? Performance of the graphics alone, as reported by this article, should discourage you, and this is where Haswell is expected to excel with the new HD series.

dotVezz said:

Bringing a product to the market at the very end of the current hardware generation isn't a good strategy.

With Haswell just a few days away, who wants to invest into the almost obsolete Ivy Bridge platform? Performance of the graphics alone, as reported by this article, should discourage you, and this is where Haswell is expected to excel with the new HD series.

Haswell is just a few days away? I'm waiting on Haswell for my next ultrabook and wondering when it'll be widely available. Where'd you source your info?

Guest said:

It looks a little.. ehhmm, "old fashioned" if you will (once you flip it open) but with those specs I can look past that.

Guest said:

Intel will be releasing their Haswell CPU line in early June, which will have tremendous power saving improvements, among other things. Unless your laptop/ultrabook/whatever breaks and you simply cannot live without one until Haswell CPU-using devices start coming out, I'd wait.

I have to say though, dual HDDs and discrete graphics in a 1.69 kg package? My 17" cafeteria tray of a laptop has those... and it weighs ~3.2 kg. I cannot wait to upgrade.

JC713 JC713 said:

Gigabyte is like Vizio, they are new to the business, and thus, I wouldnt trust them. I think Gigabyte should have lost the stickers on the PC, it gives it a cheap look.

Staff
Steve Steve said:

Gigabyte is like Vizio, they are new to the business, and thus, I wouldnt trust them. I think Gigabyte should have lost the stickers on the PC, it gives it a cheap look.

I owned my first Gigabyte laptop a decade ago now, it featured a Intel Pentium M processor and was rather well made for the time. I used it for 4 years before upgrading and then a family member used it for another 3-4 years before giving it away so it certainly went the distance. Ohh and you can peel the stickers off very easily

JC713 JC713 said:

I owned my first Gigabyte laptop a decade ago now, it featured a Intel Pentium M processor and was rather well made for the time. I used it for 4 years before upgrading and then a family member used it for another 3-4 years before giving it away so it certainly went the distance. Ohh and you can peel the stickers off very easily

I have actually never seen one here in the US. I guess they arent advertised enough.

VitalyT VitalyT said:

Haswell is just a few days away? I'm waiting on Haswell for my next ultrabook and wondering when it'll be widely available. Where'd you source your info?

The first wave of products is expected from Apple. The updated line of Macbook Pro and Macbook Air is expected to be announced some time before the end of May. And the first Haswell products (beside Apple) are expected in June.

Load all comments...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.