Microsoft details Xbox One controller features

By on June 6, 2013, 4:30 PM
microsoft, xbox, xbox 360, gamepad, controller, xbox one

Microsoft on Thursday released more details about the controller that will accompany the Xbox One later this year. The gamepad was shown and discussed briefly during the company’s reveal event last month but naturally, a lot of the finer details were skipped over for the sake of brevity.

One of the biggest changes with the new controller is the impulse triggers. Small vibrating motors behind each trigger are designed to bring things like car crashes, gunshots and explosions to life and give users a sense of in-game directionality and depth.

A perfect example of this is in Forza Motorsport 5 where the triggers are used to provide specific feedback during a race. If your tires break traction from mashing the throttle too much or you lose it in a turn, you’ll feel it in the triggers via a distinct vibration. This of course is combined with the classic rumble that’s felt when driving over uneven surfaces or feeling the power of your engine.

Another welcomed addition for anyone that has used the communication headset is improved audio over Xbox Live. Microsoft said the data transfer rate between the console and the controller has been improved which in many cases will result in audio that’s clearer than talking on a phone.

The new controller is also much more precise, we’re told. Revamped thumbsticks, built for precision and comfort, are said to require 25 percent less force to move. A new directional pad has been honed to provide accurate cardinal directional input and better tactical feel while the A, B, X and Y buttons now sit lower on the controller and are closer together to make the transition between each one smoother.

Last but certainly not least, the new controller is said to be more comfortable that previous offerings with angled triggers / bumpers and an internal battery cavity. The whole experience is said to be familiar to anyone that’s played the 360 but refined in virtually every aspect.

1 person liked this | pmkrefeld said:

Y u need a controller? I thought this new microsoft TV is controlled with voice commands

EmirSc EmirSc said:

Cant wait to get one and test it on my pc.

JC713 JC713 said:

It is definitely a nice controller.

m4a4 m4a4 said:

That definitely has appeal...

1 person liked this | ikesmasher said:

I dont want the controller joystick to require as little effort as a PS3 controller joystick though. Whenever I use one of those, im all over the place >_>

treetops treetops said:

So its a black xbox 360 controller?

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

So its a black xbox 360 controller?

Slightly modified with a better D-pad yes.

avoidz avoidz said:

Does player two have to pay a fee to use their controller?

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

I wonder if the A B etc buttons have pressure sensitivity, or if that's a Sony patent.

treetops treetops said:

No way its a patent, they had that like 20 years+ ago on arcades.

LukeDJ LukeDJ said:

I'm fairly sure neither next-gen controller will have pressure sensitive buttons, as not many games took advantage of the PS3 pressure sensitive triggers.

ghasmanjr ghasmanjr said:

I find sniping so much easier on the PS3 for games like CoD.

"Microsoft said the data transfer rate between the console and the controller has been improved which in many cases will result in audio that?s clearer than talking on a phone."

I'm calling shenanigans on this. It's highly doubtful that the voice will be "clearer than talking on a phone". As of right now, I almost have to use Skype from my computer to be able to talk to my xbox friends because the voice chat currently sucks so badly. I can see Microsoft refining voice chat, but I doubt they'll revamp it to better than a cell phone.

DanUK DanUK said:

Looks real nice!

dennis777 dennis777 said:

The only thing that might be good in the xbox one is the controller :S