Weekend tech reading: PRISM privacy controversy, E3 2013 & Apple WWDC rumors

By on June 9, 2013, 1:25 PM
apple, pro evo soccer, united states, security, e3, privacy, ios 7, waze, prism, e3 2013, metal gear, apple wwdc

Government Says Secret Court Opinion on Law Underlying PRISM Program Needs to Stay Secret In a rare public filing in the secret Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (FISC), the Justice Department today urged continued secrecy for a 2011 FISC opinion that found the National Security Agency's surveillance under the FISA Amendments Act to be unconstitutional.  Significantly, the surveillance at issue was carried out under the same controversial legal authority that underlies the NSA’s recently-revealed PRISM program. EFF

How the NSA, and your boss, can intercept and break SSL Most people believe that SSL is the gold-standard of Internet security. It is good, but SSL communications can be intercepted and broken. Here's how. ZDNet

How the U.S. Uses Technology to Mine More Data More Quickly Today, a revolution in software technology that allows for the highly automated and instantaneous analysis of enormous volumes of digital information has transformed the N.S.A., turning it into the virtual landlord of the digital assets of Americans and foreigners alike. NY Times

Google set to acquire Waze for $1.3b (still a rumor at time of writing) The acquisition of the Israeli navigation app and traffic report start up will be completed after months of speculation involving Google, Facebook and Apple. Globes Israel

What to expect from WWDC 2013: Rumor Roundup Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) kicks off on Monday, June 10 at 10:00 AM PDT (13:00 PM EDT, 18:00 PM GMT). With just a few days to go, it's time to take a look at all the rumours that have been swirling around, and to speculate on those that are the most likely. Neowin

iOS 7: 'All the Leaks Are Wrong' Gruber, who has a number of times in the past been able to share bits of information due to his connections within Apple, notes that he has heard very little about Apple's plans this time around but that one source has indicated "all the leaks are wrong" with respect to iOS 7. Macrumors

Mad Catz Project M.O.J.O. Android Games Console Revealed With devices like Ouya drumming up interest in open-source gaming platforms, Mad Catz is jumping into the fray with a system of its own — Project M.O.J.O. Like its Kickstarter-backed peers, Project M.O.J.O. is based on Android, but instead of requiring games to be custom-tailored to its hardware, it works with existing digital storefronts like Amazon's Appstore and Google Play. IGN

Kiefer Sutherland Playing Snake in Metal Gear Solid V "It's an honor to be able to play this character," Sutherland said. "This character has an unbelievable legacy. There's a real personal quality to the character that I've connected to. I'm not a gamer, and I even knew about this game. I was certainly keenly aware of the legacy of these games, the unbelievable success of these games." IGN

Pro Evolution Soccer 2014: new dawn promised for football series After several years in the shadow of EA's Fifa franchise, Konami has announced major changes to its once dominant Pro Evolution Soccer series. PES 2014 will feature a completely new engine based on the Fox technology developed by Metal Gear creator Kojima Studios, as well as re-engineered ball physics and more expressive animations. Guardian

LG shows off a production model 55-inch curved OLED TV, starts shipping soon LG announced in April that it's bringing a 55-inch curved OLED HDTV to market, and it appears that time is almost here. According to the machine translated press release, shipments of the 15 million won ($13,500) display will start in a few days. Engadget

Google says it can predict movie box office with 94% accuracy What makes a successful movie? Is it a good plot? Strong characters? Popular leading actors? Impressive special effects? Not necessarily, says Google – and moreover, the online giant says it's figured out how to predict a film's box office performance with up to 94 per cent accuracy. The Register

Chinese supercomputer destroys speed record and will get much faster A Chinese supercomputer known as Tianhe-2 has been measured at speeds of 30.65 petaflops, or 74 percent faster than the current holder of the world's-fastest-supercomputer title. The speed is remarkable partly because the Intel-based Tianhe-2 (also known as Milkyway-2) wasn't even running at full capacity during testing. Ars Technica




User Comments: 13

Got something to say? Post a comment
JC713 JC713 said:

So much stuff happening tomorrow. E3, WWDC, Android 4.3 release /Nexus refresh, Battlefield 4 and Cod Ghost gameplay, etc. So much stuff happening tomorrow!

m4a4 m4a4 said:

Is it just coincidence that Apple is doing something tomorrow when E3 is supposed to happen? Or did they feel the need to seem important too?

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Or did they feel the need to seem important too?
Would that imply they don't have a superiority complex?

JC713 JC713 said:

Is it just coincidence that Apple is doing something tomorrow when E3 is supposed to happen? Or did they feel the need to seem important too?

WWDC is always held in the beginning of June... but yeah, it is kind of odd how everything is happening tomorrow.

m4a4 m4a4 said:

Would that imply they don't have a superiority complex?

It would imply that they do :p

VitalyT VitalyT said:

Can't wait for the next week, mostly for the Apple's announcement of the new Macbook Air. I have been using mine from 2011, and it was great in every way, running Mac OS + Windows 8 with Start8.

JC713 JC713 said:

Can't wait for the next week, mostly for the Apple's announcement of the new Macbook Air. I have been using mine from 2011, and it was great in every way, running Mac OS + Windows 8 with Start8.

The new Macbook Air will hopefully have a retina screen and maintain the same price tag. That will further rattle the PC industry. I wonder if Apple will make the current non-retina MBP the old "MacBook" for people who want a MBP, but dont want to pay so much for a Retina version.

VitalyT VitalyT said:

The new Macbook Air will hopefully have a retina screen and maintain the same price tag.
Well, this is what I am afraid of, personally. It is great for those who wants to use Mac OS only, but if you need windows as a second OS, retina is a deal breaker, because even in Windows 8 you can't get it to look right. I have Windows 8 Pro as a second OS, and it looks beautiful on my Macbook Air. If they were to just improve the resolution from 1440x900 to 1600x1050, or 1080P, it would be fantastic, but with retina - I will have no use for such machine anymore, I will be better off buying an Ultrabook designed for Windows 8.

In addition, it will do no good to the battery life, all this retina business.

JC713 JC713 said:

Well, this is what I am afraid of, personally. It is great for those who wants to use Mac OS only, but if you need windows as a second OS, retina is a deal breaker, because even in Windows 8 you can't get it to look right. I have Windows 8 Pro as a second OS, and it looks beautiful on my Macbook Air. If they were to just improve the resolution from 1440x900 to 1600x1050, or 1080P, it would be fantastic, but with retina - I will have no use for such machine anymore, I will be better off buying an Ultrabook designed for Windows 8.

In addition, it will do no good to the battery life, all this retina business.

Well, it will be 7-9 hours with the Haswell upgrade.

VitalyT VitalyT said:

Well, it will be 7-9 hours with the Haswell upgrade.

That's another thing... If Apple fits in CPU with Iris (HD 5200) into this Retina, then it will be still a good product, because anything less - there is no discrete graphics that can fit into Macbook Air, and the product will be no good.

JC713 JC713 said:

That's another thing... If Apple fits in CPU with Iris (HD 5200) into this Retina, then it will be still a good product, because anything less - there is no discrete graphics that can fit into Macbook Air, and the product will be no good.

The MBP Retina 13 inch runs on Intel HD 4000 graphics fine. It struggles yes, but if you arent gaming, it is fine.

VitalyT VitalyT said:

The MBP Retina 13 inch runs on Intel HD 4000 graphics fine. It struggles yes, but if you arent gaming, it is fine.

I don't believe that Apple will do something like this to the new Macbook Air. Before they had little option, and now they have the new Intel HD graphics, which they will use in full, or risk losing their customers. Just a little more to go, and we shall see...

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Would that imply they don't have a superiority complex?
Didn't you really mean to say, "Would that imply they don't have a superiority complex, already"?

Load all comments...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.