Steam: Something Next-Gen Consoles Could Learn From The PC

By Luke Plunkett on June 20, 2013, 3:15 AM

The PS4, Xbox One and Wii U are all very different consoles, but there's one thing I wish all three had in common: their digital pricing. Something they could learn from the PC.

Steam gets a lot of credit for rejuvenating the PC gaming market, and there's one area it deserves more praise than anywhere else: its regular, highly-discounted sales.

I say this not because I like things to be cheap. I realise a brand new game does, and should, cost $40-$60. But the real value of Steam, and its crazy pricing, is that it actually caters not just to the budgets of gamers, but their gaming habits as well.

Read the complete article.

2 people like this | ReederOnTheRun ReederOnTheRun said:

Yeah, but console gamers aren't going to get that anytime soon. And it's pretty much all their fault. The Xbox One was trying to do what Steam is doing, but none of the console gamers understood it. Now no console is going to try to do that again for a long time. It's a shame, and the console gamers who whined will probably feel like ****** when they realize what they did; but I guess it's just another reason computers are better than consoles.

1 person liked this | LukeDJ LukeDJ said:

I laughed way harder than I should've at that picture XD

VitalyT VitalyT said:

Next generation consoles will come when:

a) 4K is ubiquitous;

b) SSD-s are dirt-cheap;

c) New media format for 4K is widely accepted, whatever it will be.

Considering that we will be almost there sometime by end of 2014, I would expect the next generation of consoles to be out not later than in 2015. Because otherwise they won't be able to compete with then-widely used high-res PC screens.

P.S. One reason I'm holding off on buying a new system is HDMI 2.0 + Thunderbolt 2 support, both to be out in around Q3 this year, to make sure when I have 4K screens I can use them properly.

2 people like this | Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Please can we bet on this, I can happily place £1487.49 against this right now.

That is only 2 years away, I can promise you high res 4k screens will not be widely accepted by then including the PC market, SSD's will continue to get cheaper but won't be dirt cheap in comparison to how much data they hold by 2015 maybe 2020 though and 4k content will continue to gain traction over the next 2 years but again will not be widely used due to the high price for the equipment needed to play back the content. consider this, Crysis 3 with full graphics turned up runs at around 40fps on an Nvidia Titan at 1600p imagine how much harder 4k would be to run? a Titan will still be a potent card in 2 years time.

Your dreaming if you think any of your points will happen in the next 2 years.

4 people like this | benken2202001 said:

The issue I have is that a lot of the games I purchase on steam are old classics that I just want to replay for nastalgia. I'll pay $2.50 for the ability to access the game forever. But consoles are not even backwards compatible anymore. at least provide me a cheap way to download the digital copy of the games. I might even pay for a game I currently own a second time, just for the ease of use on a newer console.

3 people like this | Guest said:

I play my games on the PC, and this article is spot on. I have bought plenty of games when Steam has their sales. My boy is 5 years old, and he games on a PC as well. He won't even touch the 360 or Wii in the living room and we've largely abandoned consoles. Steam is great because it seems like no matter what I can always find good games cheap for my boy. I have no intention of buying a new console as it seems economically unfeasible anymore.

2 people like this | Timonius Timonius said:

Also Steam has included Mac and Linux into their ever expanding empire. And let's not forget that there are other places online such as Green Man Gaming and Good Old Games where the unconsole player can satisfy their game-lust and wallet.

1 person liked this | m4a4 m4a4 said:

Console makers don't want to seem biased towards digital for some reason. Hence why the old XB1 policies weren't the greatest and why currently digital isn't better than disc on consoles...

davislane1 davislane1 said:

I have to dispute the premise of this article. Although Steam is clearly the superior online marketplace, Sony's online store has been gravitating towards the same model for a while (not having a 360 I can't speak for Microsoft). For Playstation Plus members they have 25%-75% off sales, offer free digital copies of AAA games, and have decent cloud integration to boot. It's certainly not on the same scale as Steam but it is certainly moving in that direction. The problem isn't that console makers haven't learned from Steam; it's that they have been slow in implementing the business model, opting to give their users Steam "lite" instead.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Yeah, but console gamers aren't going to get that anytime soon.
The PS4 and XBone are PC's and there is no reason why Steam couldn't be installed on either one, other than corporate decision not to allow it. And quite frankly I don't understand why anything, would be dependent on a 24-hour check-in.

7 people like this | JC713 JC713 said:

Meanwhile at EA's Origin team:

1 person liked this | MilwaukeeMike said:

Cool observation about the lives of gamers nowadays. I think the difference is that as time passes a larger and larger % of gamers are adults. Those of us in our 30s were kids when the first NES came out, back then video games were just for kids. I'd give the Playstation credit (up for debate of course) for helping games become more interesting for an older audience. Grand Theft Auto was quite unique when it came out, even though we had already seen plenty of violence in Duke Nukem.

Good for Steam for picking up on it.

1 person liked this | Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

There is one huge problem with getting a Steam-like pricing structure onto the consoles - licensing fees. There is a reason that Sony was selling the PS3 at a loss for years, yet still making a good profit. It is the same reason that it is a challenge to find any titles, even some that are very old, for dirt cheap. A big chunk of the sale of that game goes right to Sony. It's a business model that they (and Microsoft and Nintendo) have been using for generations, and changing their entire business structure is a bit like trying to U-turn a bus in a narrow alley. Until they can get full separation and not completely rely on that licensing revenue for all of the R&D and sales recouping, you won't see much of a budge in their bottom-line game pricing.

2 people like this | Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

On the surface, it might look like Sony is moving towards a more Steam-like pricing system, but you are comparing a paid subscription service to a free digital delivery system. It is only similar if you completely ignore the revenue that you are required to pay to experience that service. The Steam cloud and all of your library are available to you any time. Your PS+ purchases and cloud library are only available if you continue to pay for the privilege. Sony leverages that known sub fee to offset any shortcomings in lowering their licensing fees for digital delivery.

It's at most a half-step in the right direction, but the bottom line is that you can never get parity between Steam and console game libraries on the pricing front. Steam is a delivery system, they just make a little skim off the top on each title sold, and have no real vested interest in the actual titles (other than Valve games, that is). Console manufacturers have massive vested interest in their own ecosystem, between hardware sales, R&D, and game licensing. The digital delivery system / game pricing portion is just one part of the whole organism, but it becomes responsible for a huge portion of their revenue. That makes it much harder to change, and the impact of any change can be severe. Quite the conundrum.

ReederOnTheRun ReederOnTheRun said:

I'm not sure if Microsoft and Sony would allow it, but even if they did, I can't blame Steam for not taking the risk after the Xbox One complaints. Steam requires you to connect every time you play a game. That's even worse than connecting once a day. It would really suck if they invested in getting a bunch of Xbox and PS4 games only for every console gamer to shun their service.

1 person liked this | davislane1 davislane1 said:

Excellent points. The subscription service is one of the reasons I describe it as "lite". At $4.17/mo, however, I consider the price to be low enough to be ignored as far as comparisons with Steam are concerned. Also, while I do believe you lose access to all of your cloud data with the termination of PS+ membership, you still retain access to download any games you've purchased via PSN (which should include the freebies). You lose cloud functionality, not your library.

The problems you bring up with regards to the differences between the hardware, development, publishing, and service aspects of the gaming industry are why I don't think we'll see anything but baby steps towards a Steam-like experience in the near future. Steam has a serious leg up on Sony and Microsoft because they have few other costs to cover. Nevertheless, I'm happy that Sony and Microsoft are at least trying to move towards that end. A little progress is better than none.

TheBigFatClown said:

I have bought many games on Steam. Most of the time the primary reason is that the price was so cheap it would have been a crime not to purchase it. Triple A titles on sale for next to nothing. I've been waiting forever, though, to purchase a couple of the Call Of Duty games for less than $9.99 on a Steam sale. They just won't fall below that for some reason. And so my digital copy sits there on the Steam server rusting away into the past. Maybe someday.

It's not that $9.99 isn't a decent price when examining the COD series of games in isolation. It's the fact that there are so many other games at the same level which are much cheaper. PainKiller is a game I love. Hell And Damnation just came off a sale for $5. I wanted to buy it but haven't even finished the other ones I bought. Paid $2.90 for Painkiller verdose. So many good deals, so little time. That's why Steam wins.

The reason I paid $50 a pop for games in the past was because there really wasn't much competition in quality games. Now there is. You can't charge $60 for a game that's 3 or even 2 years old now. It would never sell. But even Sony has the "Greatest Hits" series of games and those are priced fairly in my opinion. Some of them can be had for as little as $10.00. Still no competition for Steam but a good deal, none the less.

I have to wonder how much money Steam has collected from gamers who have never even launched a game purchase, let alone finished the game. I know I have a lot.

1 person liked this | Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Steam has an offline mode. The only time you are required to be online is when installing from your library. It's been that way for years and years. Simple, really, and a similar system of authentication & associating a game to an account/console could have been easily implemented by Microsoft, rather than the whole "call home once a day" system. Require connection to install or uninstall from your console, and that's it. Try to install somewhere else, and it does a check to see if the game serial is in use on another console already. So easy, makes you wonder why Microsoft couldn't think of that?

1 person liked this | soldier1969 soldier1969 said:

Next gen console age group- 12 to 25

Current gen PC gamers age- 30 to 50+

Older = better hardware. PC gaming and digital downloads win out every time but price to build a good one keeps most of the younger generation from getting one. My answer to that save that $399-499 and use it towards a real next gen gaming platform, the pc.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Steam requires you to connect every time you play a game.
I have a few games installed from Steam library, that does not require Steam to even be loaded into memory. So from that perspective, I can only wonder why you think it is a Steam requirement.

Tharien Tharien said:

[link]

This will be the generation in 30 years I wont have a current console. My money is better spent keeping my computer current.

Ummm... you don't follow Gaming News or Technical news at all do you... The Consoles are already made, they are being produced as we type. They will be out at the end of year. Is this something you did not know?

2 people like this | gingerbill said:

Good article I completely agree with. Baffles me why they don't sell old console games for a lot cheaper.

Steam sales are too good though , I just haven't got time to play all the games I buy.

3 people like this | gingerbill said:

Steam requires you to connect every time you play a game. That's even worse than connecting once a day. .

err just no , I hate people writing posts that are just so blatantly untrue and ill informed and to be honest very lazy.

treetops treetops said:

Screw steam they are the reason I cant resell my games on ebay, go look at console pricing on ebay destroys steam

1 person liked this | Sanguineone Sanguineone said:

I have to disagree on this. I can play most of the games on Steam when my ISP has an outage. The only ones I cannot are either those with an active multiplayer element, or ones that haven't updated recently. M$ was not trying to foster a marketplace where they could offer downloadable games at a discount - they were trying to control their IP as much as possible, to the extent of alienating a nice chunk of their fan base. Steam or a Steam-like marketplace is a viable business model for consoles, which are essentially specialized computers. It will only happen when M$, Sony, and Nintendo LET it happen. They won't until they abandon the idea that EVERY game should have insane profit margins. To use the example the author did - they're going to make SOME money on the on-sale games at $2.50/$10/$20, but until they decide that what they'll make is ENOUGH, they won't do it.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I on the other hand only consider purchasing a game, if I plan on keeping it. If I have any doubt about whether I want to keep a game, there is usually not enough motivation for purchasing.

Heihachi1337 said:

I laughed way harder than I should've at that picture XD

This website didn't give credit where credit is due for it either....

The picture at the top of the article is from VGCats.com.

Misagt said:

Steam is such a good example of buying a game a 2nd time. The fact is I just recently sold off my Original Xbox collection because I've now replaced most of the titles I liked with Steam copies. I've bought some of these games 2-3 times and now with steam I have them permanently in my collection low price with nostalgia s why I have over 300 games in my steam collection with it growing every year allow with great indie titles for a reasonable price. I'm fine with them being locked to my account I also don't care about selling my games never really have... just realized storing them isn't practical in a physical form hence selling off my xbox collection,.

Puiu Puiu said:

Don't forget about PS3. Steam is on playstation network too.

dennis777 dennis777 said:

Great article.

And for those who don't know steam:

-Steam has an offline mode

-You can play on Steam on a different PC after you verified it ONCE

- their are some free games on Steam

- No game sharing as the moment

ReederOnTheRun ReederOnTheRun said:

That's true, they do have some random DRM free games (usually arcade games), but the more popular games require connecting every time you want to play them. They even make you do this for Skyrim, a completely single player game. You could do an offline mode, but only if you plan for it ahead of time or don't mind messing with it's .cfg file. Even then, users report it lasts anywhere from two weeks to a month before they make you check in again.

Again, same problem. All of those big title games that console players go nuts about would require a connection, unless you turned the whole entire Steam system offline ahead of time. And if your internet went out unexpectedly? Well instead of being limited to a day with your favorite games, you wouldn't be able to access them at all. If you remember, these were some of the exact complaints about the Xbox One. Steam is doing it right by staying away from the consoles.

ReederOnTheRun ReederOnTheRun said:

That's true, so if you are moving or something, you could set it up for offline mode and play single player games happily (assuming you remembered to update the game's files first). It does, however, only let you switch to offline mode if you are already online. And it makes you connect every time you play big title games like L4D2 and Skyrim. I actually had to edit steam.cfg one day to manually switch it to offline mode to play Skyrim (a pure single player game) when my internet died unexpectedly. I'm not sure how you would do this on a console though.

The point is that a lot of the complaints about the Xbox One would also apply to Steam. It would be risky to go out on a limb like that right after DRM failed with the Xbox One. Console gamers just don't have an interest in it. The fact that they do have an offline mode would be a plus if you knew exactly when the internet would fail though.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

That's true, they do have some random DRM free games (usually arcade games)

Here is a few that I play that I know do not even require Steam to play, but yet they were installed from within Steam's library. I don't think they are considered arcade games.

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

A Microsoft employee posted a while back that Microsoft wanted to go the Steam way, tie games to an account, because this is what allows PC games to be priced so low. Looks like that won't happen now.

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I can verify that steams offline mode doesn't last and has to be activated in advance of you losing your net connection. It seems to me that any connection to the net on the particular device turns offline mode off so if you do turn the checkin off, don't connect to the net with anything. That's not incredibly useful.

However, you can often just browse to the steam folder and run the games exe directly anyway. I have over 200 steam games, some bought full price and others bought on sale or in huge collections. It's like Pokemon. Gotta catch em all. Like the tomb raider collection. I have never completed one tomb raider game. I get to lvl 3 of each one (when it starts to get challenging/annoying) and quit. So why did I buy the entire collection of which I haven't fired up a single game? Crazy lol

treetops treetops said:

Steam makes games cost more because I cannot buy used games on ebay.

1 person liked this | Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Steam makes games cost more because I cannot buy used games on ebay.

I didn't see a "/s" on that, so I have to assume you are serious? Steam actually drops prices, not raises them, for quite a few reasons. There is no physical media to copy, therefore harder to physically pirate - bonus to the publisher, more guaranteed revenue in their pockets. No physical media means no associated costs and overhead, which you actually see in price drops (after launch of course), and those price drops can be dramatic (and MUCH less than you see in physical media). There are also fewer middle-men in the food chain for digital delivery, which allows developers and publishers to typically recoup larger percentages of their products, which also means they can easily drop prices and/or do massive discount sales.

Games cost more because games cost more. Development times have mushroomed, complexity of games keeps increasing, the level of staffing and credited personnel for development and support keeps growing... I can absolutely guarantee you that your game prices would not drop a penny if you could still buy them used on ebay. In fact, the exact opposite might happen! Console game prices keep creeping up, and stay high even used for a loooong time after launch. Care to guess what a major factor for that higher pricing is? Maybe not getting a single dime on a title after it gets sold the first time, even if it's resold 20 times? Keep in mind, that's 20 sales that were lost to the publisher/developer, and put right in the pockets of the resellers and/or corporate game sale/trade outlets. There's been quite a few estimations that game reselling costs console publishers far more than piracy ever does (but it's hard to quantify, since piracy figures are total guess work in most cases). You better believe those increased costs get passed down the line to consumers, eventually.

treetops treetops said:

I used to sell cd keys of my old games on ebay and buy cd keys. They used cost waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less on ebay. Its not a hypothetical, its a fact, its the past it happened. Steam and origin shut down the old CHEAP prices.

I should be able to resell my games idc about their sales I own the damn game its my right. Why do you think xbox one reversed their used game policy?

If steam wasn't so damn greedy I could resell my games the way god intended.

All they really need is a button by your game that says release game from account. You click it and now you can resell your game. The cd key can now be bound to a new account. Simple, easy and will never happen because steam wants to make money. They are the biggest gaming scam ever. They raped our right to resell games.

In the past you simply removed your email and added a new email to the game key. Most of the time people didn't even care if you did that and went off the honor system, which is pretty crazy.

And greedy a holes like origin saw this and jumped on board! Xbox one tried the same thing but people wouldn't have it.

4 people like this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

If steam wasn't so damn greedy I could resell my games the way god intended.
Thats funny! "The way God intended" I might stop laughing sometime tomorrow. God intended for us all to play games, and then resale them when we are finished. The whole concept of that statement is as loony, as any loony toons I've ever watched.

Games never were designed (especially by God) to be resold, thats just where consumers took them.

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I understand that you used to be able to do that. And I get what you are saying, Steam and Origin have ruined your ability to completely cut out any revenue to the developers and publishers by purchasing/selling secondhand games. What you are missing in my comment is that used game sales only drive up the costs of the initial game launches, to compensate for the lack of sales that represents. The more actual sales made, and the fewer transactions that cut out the producers of the games, the better it is for pricing.

Consider that if I added up my entire Steam library, and what I paid for it (sales and specials ahoy!), then compared that with what I would have paid at a retail outlet and factored in what I might have gotten to sell the games back, I still come out ahead with Steam. AND I still own the games, free to play them again whenever I choose!

Still, I think there is potential for your desires to come around soon. Steam is already playing around with sharing games, maybe they'll get to the actual trading or selling scenario? Imagine, if you could eventually resell the game directly through Steam?

treetops treetops said:

@cliffc duh, way over your head? cant believe you took that seriously

@Vrmithrax

It boggles my mind how angry people get when the exact same thing happens to consoles, but somehow pc steam users lack the ability to recognize their used game reselling rights have been taken away.

Well that is due to the fact that most people are oblivious to the fact that they could resell their used games on ebay.

No you do not come out ahead, if I could I would resale 90% of my steam library, at the moment I can't sell any of them. Sales special don't occur when a game is new. Either do low used game prices like on ebay.

I like being able to sell games I do not like and buy games I do like, atm I am stuck with a bunch of games I hate. In the past I could sell them for money and then buy other games that if I liked I would not resale. Resulting in a inventory of games that I actually play. Crazy?

Imagine if they never took away my ability to resell my games? The old gaming markets did spectacular before steam type platforms stole our ability to resell games. I don't know exactly why.

Maybe because back then I would not hesitate to buy a new game because I had the ebay parachute. Or I could simply trade a friend.... idk why exactly but it worked and worked well, people loved it, they ended up with a product they wanted.

Steam type platforms are the death of my pc gaming. When this rig dies maybe I can find somewhere to sell my steam\origin account when I switch to a console.

2 people like this | TheBigFatClown said:

@cliffc duh, way over your head? cant believe you took that seriously

@Vrmithrax

Ummm, back in the day when you could sell your used games....you were paying $50 a whack. There was a good reason to resell the games you bought. Because you paid an outrages price for them. I paid $2.49 for SW:KOTOR 1, $2.49 for SW KOTOR 2, $2.49 for Jade Empire, $6 and change for BF:BC2, $2.49 for Limbo, $9.99 for PainKiller:Black Edition, $3.90 for PainKiller verdose, and I could go on but I think the point is made. At these prices, if you are patient, who gives a damn if you can resell the games or not? Seriously? People pay $9.00 to see a new movie at the theatre that last 2 hours. At Steam sales prices if you get 2 hours of enjoyment out of a game purchase you got your money's worth. Even if you can't resell the game. Now, if Microsoft wants to sell AAA titles at $2.49 then I will gladly give up my right to re-sell the game. If they think their games are made of solid ******* GOLD by selling at very high prices and then limiting people's rights to resell the game, as they have already seen, that ain't gonna fly wit da gamers.

If Microsoft wants to succeed then they need to look around and learn from people who are succeeding. People like Valve. That's common sense.

ReederOnTheRun ReederOnTheRun said:

hence the word "usually".

akashaheart akashaheart said:

I agree I am always looking for a deal anyway and sometimes it is spurr of the moment situation . I will be talking to other people who are talking about a game and if it sounds good to me or I watch a trailer and decide ooo that would be neat to try and if it is at a good price I will buy it . Just a few weeks ago I bought the F.E.A.R. series for 3.00 and Alan Wake series for 4.00 with all dlc's and that was a great deal . But to find good deals on xbox I have to scour around for it and I might find a good deal once a month

treetops treetops said:

I'd rather have 1 game I like then ten I NEVER PLAY AND CAN NEVER SELL\TRADE. Everyone likes different games, we can no longer adapt each person collection to their own taste.

The used game ebay price depended on how long after the game was released and its popularity. Exactly like they are now with console games on ebay. So yeah if you wanna check prices.

Why do people have so much gay love with steam that they can't see its the exact same thing xbox one was trying to do?

1 person liked this | St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Interjection: Selling CD keys on ebay was only possible because the video game market didn't adapt quickly enough to the presence of eBay. You were essentially thieving - multiple keys could be used at the same time on a lot of games, as they didn't have online-checking.

Slowly but surely, the video game companies caught on to this, and stopped it with another form of DRM. As before, slowly the market will change. But, give it time - look at the outdated music/video market.

1 person liked this | Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

hence the word "usually".

Well no, in my steam library, I'll point out some high profile games that do work offline just fine.

Crysis

BioShock (1&2)

Dishonored

Elder Scrolls Oblivion

All the Half-Lifes

Mass Effect

Left4Dead (1&2)

Portal (1&2)

Team Fortress 2

Test Drive Unlimited

Total War: Shogun 2

GRID 2

Unreal Tournament (every single one ever released on steam)

Shall I continue? Moral of the story is, its actually much harder to find a game on steam that requires an internet connection than does not, hell even Multiplayer only games like TF2 and Borderlands can be played offline!

treetops treetops said:

You never had cd keys that could be used at the same time unless its single player, you can still play single player mode on multiple consoles without drm. Only 3% of polled people on amazon said they would buy xboxone over ps4 in light of the new policies you are defending on pc. Going to your friends house and playing single player super mario bros on his console is not thieving. Selling your single player game online is not thieving. I agree with you that single player cd keys without drm is like pirating. The lack of a need for a physical copy lets people spam their cd key. Easily adverted with a one time activation required before you can install the game. I play multiplayer games so I never thought of that. I would say ebay should ban the sale of single player cd keys on ebay but gaming companies can easily add a one time internet activation. And if your on ebay you have the internet.

Old multiplayer pc game ebay buying note:

Most cd keys were tied to a email address, you could change the email address your game was tied too when you sold a game, changing it to the buyers email address. And all are tied to a email address now. It would be even simpler to let people give their game to another account in todays market.

p.s. steam is a one time activation drm for many single player games thats fine but whats not fine is they took away my ability to go into my game account and change my game linked email address so I can sell my game to someone else, or like they have their gift sytem just give it to someone else. at the very very least they need to implement this for multiplayer games

Heed4673 said:

Microsoft did a horrible job explaining and selling what they were trying to do; however, nothing is keeping them or Sony from implementing the same thing that Steam does...it's just a pricing model. PSN sort of does it already in a way, but really it's just a matter of pricing and sales. The model and market for for games have changed but is still unique for consoles, and at least Sony has realized that to a certain extent this generation.