Xbox One leading best seller chart at Amazon after Microsoft's U-turn

By on June 20, 2013, 1:30 PM
sony, amazon, microsoft, xbox, gaming, ps4, playstation 4, xbox one, microsoft u-turn

Gaming enthusiasts were outraged by the strict limitations that Microsoft planned to enforce on the Xbox One. Amid a fury of negative feedback, the tech giant did a complete 180 – they announced yesterday that users will no longer have to establish an online connection every 24 hours to play games, and that trading disks with friends will be as hassle free as ever.

Perhaps the Microsoft retreat wasn’t sparked by the backlash of unhappy customers, but rather the fear of having no customers at all. Last week, Amazon ran a poll on their Facebook page which pitted the Xbox One against the PlayStation 4, and not surprisingly, the Sony console won in a landslide.

The poll was eventually taken down by Amazon, but at last glance, the final tally was 38,984 for the PlayStation 4 and 2,162 for the Xbox One. Gamers who visited Amazon’s Best Sellers list could draw a similar conclusion, seeing as the Sony system had solidified its position in first place.

Following the Microsoft retreat, a huge debate ensued. Some users insisted that Microsoft’s reversal was too little too late, while others hopped right back on the Xbox One bandwagon. As a result, it became extremely difficult to assess whether Microsoft’s attempt at damage control was a success or a failure.

Currently, according to the Amazon Best Sellers list, the Xbox One has now surged into first place. If you look closely, you’ll see that the Microsoft console atop the leaderboards is the “Day One Edition”; a version that had already sold out for PlayStation 4 fanatics. Also worth noting is the fact that Sony's console has four different listings in the top ten -- the standard edition plus three bundles -- while the Xbox One has a single one.

That said, a similar response from game enthusiasts has been seen across Europe. Amazon UK shows that both consoles are pretty much even, with the Xbox One holding a slight 2.3% advantage in sales.

Regardless of who wins this horse race, the excitement surrounding the next-generation consoles is unbelievable, and probably pleases both Sony and Microsoft. After all, any publicity is good publicity.

Ketu Patel, head of video games at Amazon UK, added, “It will be fascinating to see how the battle between the two console giants develops over the coming months – the fight for who’s going to be the must-have Christmas present is only just beginning."

1 person liked this | treetops treetops said:

Like they wont try and squeeze that money out of you all some other way

Littleczr Littleczr said:

I don't get it. Somebody is either lying or there were hordes of Xbox fans waiting on the sideline. Either way I am still PC gaming with dark shades glasses.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Like they wont try and squeeze that money out of you all some other way

Zey haf vays und means, ja.

1 person liked this | Scavengers Scavengers said:

I like this. Look at the games, hardware and policies between MS and Sony now and they are nearly a mirror image.

I see 2 determining factors as this goes on. Exclusive games to each console and price.

I am primarily a PC gamer but I will buy one console from this upcoming generation.

Dave

1 person liked this | Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

That's a bit of relief. For a while back there I thought MS were subscribing to Hitler's policies laid out in Mein Kampf.

3 people like this | Blkfx1 Blkfx1 said:

MS is just too wishy-washy for me this Gen. I wouldn't be surprised if they changed their stance on DRM and internet connectivity after it's been released.

I'm glad that MS finally woke up and listened. However, it still doesn't change the fact that they tried to implement those ridiculous policies in the first place. I will still get a PS4 first and will wait a year or so before deciding whether to break down and get an Xbox One 80.

Until this fall, I will enjoy my PC, PS3 and 360.

1 person liked this | psycros psycros said:

A lot of people are expressing similar concerns. Taking away *all* consumer freedom in one fell swoop doesn't go over well, so Microsoft may emulate the government and start taking it away one update at a time. Creeping dictatorship is always more successful.

So easy for microsoft, they dont deserve to be forgiven or the ppl to forget this situation.....for me that increaseon sale are the Sheeps of videogame (most USA xbox fan base gamers)those that only play by playing any game including call of duty and bad franchise like GTA or Gears of war. (I have played those games and ps3 games and they are really bad)

I find these articles missleading when people never actually source the page.

[link]

Yes Xbox One80 is currently at #1 on the list but consider this. There is only ONE Xbox One80 edition to pre-order.

The original PS4 Launch Edition is still sold out AND the standard edition release is at #3 (preceeded only by the Last of Us PS3 game) AND there are 3 PS4 bundles and the PS4 controller and the Playstation 20$ card code in the top 10.

So I would say that there is still an overwhelming support for the PS4 still based on the bestselling list.

Scavengers Scavengers said:

Wow. Pretty tough on MS for what they WAS going to do.

I can only imagine how pissed you all must still be at Sony for blatent lies about the power of the PS2, rootkits, DRE's in 2 sucsessive generations (PS1 and 2), a massive security breach, and for not mentioning that there will be a charge for online play next gen.

Dave

Even though I didn't want to give up my achievement points, MS's used game policy was too restrictive and basically a deal breaker... and lets face it the PS4 does look pretty sweet. But right now I'm back on the Xbox bandwagon,,, trying to be loyal!

Freaking idiotic console users always crying and bitching over stupid crap. Both companies are going to win. So many people forget that Sony was once in the same spot years ago over the PS2 and PS3. Those mess ups are what allowed MS to create the Xbox in the first place. So MS screwed up, they aren't the first company and won't be the last. People just want MS to fail, mainly for no good reason. I bet most don't even own a MS device/product.

People may be happy MS changed their stance and now according to Amazon and other stores, Xbox One is back on track to make the same money as Sony. Lets not forget though, MS console users will not get certain features anymore which some people did want but because they bitched, things were changed. Only time will tell if it was for the better. Also don't forget Sony online is NOT free. There is a fee, maybe small but you aren't going online playing your games for free, better get mom or dads credit card handy. We all know that's who is paying for it in the end.

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

Waiting most likely

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

PC users tend to cry and ***** about consoles more than console users to begin with

Microsoft will switch back to the always online connection and no used games in a few months, after people by the Xbox One. Just wait and see.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Gaming enthusiasts, what a joke, they aren't gamers. They are just console users, get the name correct. Real gamers will never ever use a console. Consoler users are just that, they use a console. A gamer uses and only uses a PC. No console user will ever beat a PC gamer. Why? CAUSE PC USERS ARE THE ONLY REAL GAMERS. They dont need aim assist, lag compensation or any other crap.

2 people like this | Scavengers Scavengers said:

Right. Because a few months of sales will be more than enough to finance the entire life span of its upcoming console.

Good God.

Dave

1 person liked this | MilwaukeeMike said:

No they won't. Consoles are sold at a price that's barely enough to make a profit, if at all. Does it really make sense that a new console costs less than your smartphone, which we know from websites only costs around $200 in parts?

MS and Sony will both make the majority of their money on games, and that means they'll need to sell the most consoles possible. They won't go doing something to screw that up. If history is any lesson, the XB1 and PS4 will be the latest and greatest until around 2018 or 2019. They'll have a few variations and models, and maybe fix a RROD issue or two, but that's it. Either way, they're not going to want to mess with the possibility of getting new customers who will buy multiple games.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

PC users cry more than console users? wtf planet you live on? PC users voice their opinons when they get lied to like Activision did with their CoD wm2 and the rest after that. Saying PC users would get debticated servers when all was given was better graphics, mouse and keyboard support. Last I checked those were by default/standard to even play any game on pc so they never gave PC users anything. Just a console port is all PC gets nowadays cause crap consoles can't and won't ever do what a PC can.

PC users also voice an opinon when a game company has months if not years to test a game, then release it only to find out half the peopel can't play cause it needs a patch. In some cases, it takes months before the game to work properly. CoD is famous for that. Most of those problems nowadays come because PC users get a crap console port instead of a actual PC game. People just don't want to spend the money on a PC and take the time to understand it. They rather be stupid and by a console cause its less money and don't want to use their brain, not cause its better.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Why do people keep bringing up the Red Ring of Death and then mention the Xbox One? There has been no confirmation of that even being a problem. I've personally had 2 xboxs and 2 360s, none of them ever had a issue. Maybe because I didn't abuse my consoles like so many did. Lets play for 4-6 hours, leave the game on or paused for 24 hrs or leave the discs in. All of which were reported to cause problems. Now, yes there will be times that some people will get a issue or a bad console. That happens. Sony is famous for the lens going bad. Could play a game but not a dvd or vice versa. Not to mention Sony couldn't stop a hacker even if that person was right in front of them using a computer.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I think phones cost a bit more, because they are upgraded more frequently. The upgrades in consoles don't seem near as radical or as tedious from the small form factor point of view.

I can't even start to imagine the cost of changing assembly lines every year (if not more frequently) to accommodate for changes in design. It would be a bit like adding moving fees to the cost of rent every 6 months.

JC713 JC713 said:

PS4 has games I actually want to play though.

Kevin82485 Kevin82485 said:

This is the key point: "Also worth noting is the fact that Sony's console has four different listings in the top ten -- the standard edition plus three bundles -- while the Xbox One has a single one."

dennis777 dennis777 said:

Whats stopping M$ from implementing the 24hour check after someone has bought Xbox One?

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Online setup required for first-time-setup. This is still a big issue and a massive backdoor for MS to implement future changes.

Grand Theft Auto 5 will show you, that's the most idiotic statement posted here, glad you're not a validated Techspot user denouncing GTA gaming!!

Tygerstrike said:

MS can back pedal all they like, the damage has already been done. It is a "too little too late". Sorry MS, your opening stance on your console caused my wallet to lock down. Now PS4 will get my gaming dollars. You had a chance to make yourself out to be the console gamer of the decade. Except your incredibly restrictive terms and antiquated stance on used games stole that away from you. I do own a xbox360 and will continue to play that until the PS4 is available. I may even break out the GameCube and whack some golf balls with Mario. Heck I may even bust out the PS2 for some nostalgia game play. I will do all of this as a way to completly AVOID the new XBOX. Im with a few of the other posters here. PS4 first, then take a wait and see approach on the new xbox. If MS keeps with this stance then after a year or two I might consider it.

Oh and to all the PC idjits, some of us play on consoles, not because we like it more, but because we work all day with a computer of some form and simply want to play a game when we get home.

Exactly my thoughts as well...some people don't like to look at the broader spectrum here or they are just totally blind. 1 xbox 1 in the top 10 4 ps4's in the top 10.

VrsTech VrsTech said:

Microsoft is pre-ordering is own xbox one LOL like they payed off the publisher at E3 to not display the PS4 games on Xbox one... LOL

I was one of those on the sidelines. I do not know when I will get XBO because I generally just play Forza on my 360, I will get one at some point now(500 bucks to play one game?, Im stupid). I was really on the fence about the whole thing as it really just didnt impact me but it was BS and definitely would have been a pain for a lot of people. I cannot fathom why they just did not make it optional from the beginning. Most of my gaming is done on the PC and has been since, well, a long time ago.

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

Amazon servers... powered by Microsoft?

Crybaby Elitist PC owners. They winge and moan about consoles all the time to justify their ludicrously overpriced limited rigs. All the time the console owners let Pc owners try to hold their heads in the clouds. I was a PC gamer of over 15 years and ditched the PC gaming scene for consoles. Why? Because I've got better things to spend my money on, oh and my console allows me to relax on my sofa, playing my games on a big TV - Oh and they always work first time, open the tray - put disc in - play. No f**ckin around. I own a low end laptop - Good enough for me.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Crybaby Elitist PC owners.
Every time I see someone accuse another of being a crybaby, I actually picture them crying while doing so. I am so sorry, I hurt your feeling!

Squuiid said:

In the UK there are no bundles for the PS4. This is a far more realistic indicator for which console is leading the table. PS4 is top.

Amazon US has one XBone and 5 PS4 consoles. XBone is clearly not the best seller here or anywhere for that matter. This is a very misleading article Techspot, it should be corrected.

[link]

Alterran1 Alterran1 said:

I'll have to say PC FTW!. Among all the console gamers I know they all are going for PS instead of XBOX except for one of my friends he is getting the Xbox. He has always been diamond hard headed regardless if he is wrong. That is do to he's enourmess pride of been American. What can I say its that kind of pride that blinds so many and keeps them from knowing what really is out there.

1 person liked this | Lionvibez said:

What nonsense is this.

A gamer is someone that plays games regardless of the platform. At the end of the day games are games! I'm a PC gamer now and have been for many years. But I also grew up playing on NES, SNES,Neo geo, Sega Genesis etc and got more into the pc gaming as I got older and could afford to buy my own pc etc.

Just because you don't approve of the platform doesn't make them any less of gamers than you.

While I agree with most on this site that PC > consoles when you post crap like this you make us look bad and your no better than the console fanboy that thinks his console is the greatest thing since slice bread.

remove your bias and try to look at things from both side before you lets this crap come out of your mouth.

Scavengers Scavengers said:

Crybaby Elitist PC owners.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Some of us like gaming on a PC and others prefer toys.

Dave

The xbox one was the leading seller before the policy change since the ps4 ran out of launch consoles and then started selling 4 different ps4 packages.