EA won't be bringing its high-end sports engine to the PC

By on June 20, 2013, 2:30 PM
ea, fifa, gaming console, ignite engine

EA’s new Ignite Engine is clearly the future when it comes to next generation sports titles but unfortunately, that experience won’t be finding its way to the PC. The reason, according to EA Sports executive vice president Andrew Wilson, is because a large number of EA sports fans don’t have the necessary hardware needed to power the new engine.

News that the engine isn’t coming to PC really shouldn’t be a huge surprise at this point considering FIFA Soccer is the only sports game on the company’s roster released for PC on an annual basis. Unlike other sports titles that are only popular in North America, FIFA remains popular around the globe.

It’s an issue that EA has faced before, however. FIFA games released on current generation consoles used a more advanced engine than what was available for the PC from 2005 through 2009. Wilson noted that there were some PCs on the market that could have run the engine but the lion’s share of systems wouldn’t have been up to the task.

FIFA 11 was the first PC release that used console-level technology to boost graphics and animation.

Even if gamers did have beefy enough hardware for the Ignite Engine, it would still be difficult to port to the PC because the engine was built for console architecture. Wilson said it has to do with how the CPU, GPU and RAM work together in a special type of environment.

It’s also worth pointing out that the Wii U will not receive the Ignite Engine treatment either – again, not a big surprise considering Madden won’t be released on Nintendo’s latest console this year either.

4 people like this | ETF Soldier ETF Soldier said:

Who cares if 'gamers don't have good enough hardware'?! You don't get games that run on your PC, you aim to get a PC that can run games, EA u r dum.

3 people like this | BlueDrake said:

It's just a roundabout way of saying, you don't need a sports title because the general PC hardware sucks. Instead of doing things to have it scale for various hardware configs, they'd rather keep it console exclusive and I don't mind. EA's never really won me over lately, with a lot of craptastic decisions.

amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

I agree with BlueDrake. I think theyy are underestimating consumer rigs. We don't all have AMD 970's and a 7770.

I would bet my old rig runs it quite well.

For fifa 2011 ea finally released a game on pc that was essentially the same as on consoles (but pc obviously has higher resolution) . I have enjoyed fifa 2011 fifa 2012 and fifa 13 on pc but if fifa 14 is going to being a crappy reskin of fifa 13 without the new engine they can go to hell.

if your pc cant run it then get a better one or get a console!! another smart move by ea

2 people like this | Guest said:

No. The issue isn't hardware. It's the fact that EA doesn't want to put it on the PC where modders can do their own roster and stadium updates and graphic improvements; thus eliminating their cash cow of releasing annual editions with minimal upgrades to the gameplay.

1 person liked this | psycros psycros said:

EA can suck it. 90% of everything they touch turns to crap. Its so bad their driving developers away from their house of horrors. I hope they either start being a real game publishing company again or go extinct.

2 people like this | soldier1969 soldier1969 said:

Well I guess I'm in the top 1% with my rig then, 4770k at 4.5, 16gb ram, 2 gtx 780s in sli and 2560 x 1600 30 inch display. Can run any game at max and any game coming within the next year easily and yet people like me get the shaft because there just aren't enough of us to make them cater to PC games first, they cater to the kiddies on so called next gen consoles. At least I have BF4 to look forward to in all its glory in 4 months as well as Arma 3 a game that even the next gen consoles couldn't run at my resolution.

This is really stupid, like if all the PC's can handle EA's BF3 frostbite2 or the upcoming BF3 frostbite3 engine.

Littleczr Littleczr said:

EA is at it again. The only thing they have not trashed yet is Battle Field.

Blkfx1 Blkfx1 said:

Lol, this is the same company that said the next gen consoles were a "generation" ahead of the highest end gaming PC.

[link]

I think what EA is really trying to say is they do not want to support the Windows 8 poc OS.

Its weird that doesnt sound like a bussiness answer, its more likely saying that the users are guilty of that decision, but surely they are making that move to profit, of course they will have an easy way of profiting woith the consoles than the PC, so its an excuse to not get mad the general users and screw up more their reputation

I would probably agree with EA at this point.

IMO .. Hardcore PC gamers with good hardware are not interested in SPORT games ... and they are better with a controller anyways.. so hardcore gamers will also own a console.

and any SPORT game person is not interested in PC's .. so they will have an old PC with IGX or something. but will also own a console for their sports games.

hum .. makes scenes ..

backo said:

Considering that the new consoles are mid range PCs... porting the games to PC should be fairly easy. EA just doesn't want to do it.

1 person liked this | 122jimbo 122jimbo said:

Fine if 2k brings there sports to PC they got a buy from me! EA's Basketball games are terrible

veLa veLa said:

Good. I don't know a single PC gamer who wants to play a crappy soccer game anyway.

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I am liking what 2K are doing, though I do want Mafia 3 ASAP!!

lipe123 said:

Ea completed to destroy simcity, now their next project is to piss off PC users even further by insulting their rigs and saying that consoles are more powerful.

Just lol...

2 people like this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I don't have a console and I'm not into sports games either. I guess EA is thinking most PC owners are not interested, such as myself.

JC713 JC713 said:

It should be the other way around! **Face palm**

ETF Soldier ETF Soldier said:

Aye, we don't want it anyway, it would only contribute to the success of Origin, which is the greatest insult to PC gaming there is.

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

LOL@the "alternative reasons" for EA sports games bypassing the PC.

BlueDrake said:

They are the sole reason, I won't find any joy with games they make. Also any reason BF isn't screwed up, is because they are just publishing the game. If they had more direct control over developing, then we'd see the game tank like many other franchises from them.

1 person liked this | dennis777 dennis777 said:

I agree, they could have said it like that.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Brace yourselves. Expect this as an excuse from every developer, on why every game doesn't use DX11 and doesn't look damn fantastic.

Oh, I knew there was a reason you haven't posted your specs in a while! You were upgrading!

3 people like this | Guest said:

Is it just me, or wouldn't EA have been better served by saying, "we just don't see the demand in the PC market," instead of insulting PC gamers' rigs? I mean enthusiasts spend serious money on their rigs, far more than console gamers, so to basically call what we're running a POS next to a console is ignorant at best and deliberately insulting at worst.

Darkshadoe Darkshadoe said:

This is the reason. All this talk about their engine not running on a PC is Bull$hit. They used a PC to program it. With EA ,it is lie after lie with them.

I could agree with EA decision with this.They never said the engine couldnt run on the pc. Just most pc's are not capable of running it. I can agree with this. Like the top 1% of the pc croud that can is actually gonna buy this game thats gonna be a profit for EA. No way.

I think once these new consoles are released and games start flowing in its gonna make the average pc more obsolete than it already is. I could see this reason used by other companies in the future. "Pc not getting a game average pc to slow" . Better start planning to upgrade.

Ean Mogg said:

PCs are scalable ,, duh up,, and down to the new console level , I always read the side of the box for min and max but I always seem to be above max .. Does that mean I can't run FIFA till it gets to my level of computing,, lol any I don't know any PC gamer that would buy a game they couldn't run.

Pc's are scalable yah. But what happens when the bar is raised once the new consoles are released. Will there be so much scaling in these new games that a old "average" gaming pc compared to the new consoles that the game will be playable and look as good or better. I doubt it. Pc gaming is all about making the game scale above the console...the "bar higher" not lower.

I wouldn't completely agree, but at the same time, don't be surprised if some games designed for next gen consoles run slower on your high-end $3,000 gaming machine, despite it having significantly more theoretical horsepower.

There are several reasons for this. Both of the new consoles use a Unified Memory Architecture (UMA). That means that the same memory is accessible to both the CPU and GPU. That means that techniques involving the use of both processors on the same data could be significantly faster on the consoles than they are on your PC. It also means that game developers can use a large portion of the available system memory for storing high-res models and textures if they choose. Even high-end PC graphics cards don't usually have more than 3GB of memory today. So there could be issues with running out of video memory in the PC versions of games.

The second factor is resolution and image quality expectations. A lot of people who buy an expensive gaming PC don't want to play at 1080p, and they want to run with higher levels of AA and other settings to enhance the image quality. That doesn't apply to 1080p TVs however that are significantly further away from the player. So while it's not an apples-to-apples comparison, you may need more graphical horsepower to drive your PC display that's 30 inches away than your TV that's 10 feet away.

And then finally of course there's the oft-stated issue of overhead. Because PC hardware can be combined in a variety of configurations, access to the graphics is provided through a compatibility layer like DirectX or OpenGL, which in turn interfaces with the drivers for the videocard, before finally getting to the hardware. That allows the game code to - for the most part - not have to worry about exactly what hardware the game is going to run on. You can play most games regardless of what CPU or GPU you happen to have. However, the existence of those layers also introduces overhead, reducing performance.

On a side note, why doesn't the comments section on the article page itself support paragraphs? It removes all of the line spacing, making long posts look like a wall of text. You have to go to the forum-type interface if you want line spacing.

I couldnt agree more. The new consoles are gonna be the new "average" for gaming. Which is way above the "average" gaming pc at the moment. EA thought so.....so pc will play catch up for awhile.

1 person liked this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Thats still no excuse for not releasing a game for PC's, when there could still be a market for it. Games are great for helping entice people to upgrade their machine.

Hammayon Hammayon said:

Ok first and foremoust, you can buy a high end pc card for something like $250 off ebay. A 660 ti or a 7950. That will run circles around xbox and ps3 and be just as good (if not better) than the crap they are putting into the XBOX ONE and PS4. OMG folks, $250. Most of you should have I5 or equivalent with at least 2 GB of RAM (average is 4 GB). What else do you freakin need?

$250 for a PCI video card! Most gamers, who play games, HAVE a decent video card in their rigs. If you don't, then upgrade sillies..

TheinsanegamerN TheinsanegamerN said:

oh really? like fifa 14, which runs at 400 fps on a gtx 670 at 1080p with maximum detail settings? please. fifa is not demanding, ea is just lazy.

Lurker101 said:

Wilson said it has to do with how the CPU, GPU and RAM work together in a special type of environment, but we just kinda tuned out and stopped listening because it was obvious he was just talking purified horse crap.

Fix'd

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Whoever said PC owners don't have game pads hasn't used the 360 game pads for PC CIA that brings console style gaming straight to your tower. Also steam has a new big screen mode designed for console style controller games with profiles for the most popular controllers.

I think this is marketing BS to be honest. I looked at a couple of articles about the ignite engine and its meant to do amazing things like animate the crowd properly and make players react differently at different times during the game depending on the story of the game ie whether they have 1 minute to score and start pushing up quicker etc or if they are shockingly out of their depth and getting beaten 10-0 ie Spain vs Haiti.

That sounds like a lot of useless stuff they won't get right the first time. Who wants the AI to make your players shit their pants and play shit. Who cares about the crowd being more crowd like. Crowd reaction to stuff in the game is already there anyway so could you tell the difference. FIFA 12 had the player impact engine but it was a bit silly. FIFA 13 improved it. FIFA 14 on next gen consoles will have these extra features that could screw up the gameplay and as Ignite is meant to do AI then the PC version will have different AI too. I think EA are headed into deep water. Certainly Fifa 14 isn't making me think I need a £400 console.

Lurker101 said:

Spain vs Haiti.

That was a brilliant match to watch

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

I would bet my old rig runs it quite well.

You're right. I've seen a lot of worse specced PC's than that.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

I couldn't care less what the hell EA does nowadays. I avoid their titles like the plague. I for one, wouldn't be sorry to see them turn out the lights for good one of these days.

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

The comments appear correctly formatted on iPhone...

Fbarnett Fbarnett said:

Wrong they know that people don't have money to keep upgrading pc's. They would rather people spend money buying more games for consoles. You buy a game for a xbox and put it in and play no upgrade needed.Then you buy another game etc

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

But yet you suggest that the same cannot be done with a PC. I'm sorry but; just because there are upgrade options on PC, doesn't mean one must upgrade. Must you purchase a console which doesn't allow upgrades, to rid yourself of the desire to upgrade?

I am a PC fanboy. Other than buying a console to keep your kids off the PC, I don't see any pros to a console that a PC doesn't have as well. And its getting to where a console is just as capable software wise, but yet limited by hardware capabilities. Allot of people bi_ch about Apple, but yet support the very foundation of which Apple stands with every purchase of a console.

dynomike dynomike said:

This is just Lies

Fifa 14 will be available for playstation 2!!

So saying PC gamers can't run this is just ridiculous!

Littleczr Littleczr said:

I love how NBA 2k12 and 2k13 you could make a team with classic players. I made kobe the point and jordan the shooting guard on a triangle offense. Fun times!

The O said:

Doesn't bother me, FIFA 13 looks pretty good already, I much rather have gameplay improvement than graphics improvement. like the damn referee that won't get out of the way, c'mon, how hard is it to program him to get out of the way?

The O said:

Personally I'm sure, because I don't think it's crappy and love playing it on PC.