Gigabit Seattle prices 1Gbps residential service at $80 per month

By on June 25, 2013, 2:00 PM
1gbps, google fiber, gigabit squared, internet access, gigabit seattle

Fiber Internet provider Gigabit Squared recently announced pricing for service headed to select areas of Seattle in the near future. Pricing tops out at just $80 per month which includes a 1,000 Mbps download and 1,000 Mbps upload connection – nearly 10x faster than what Comcast offers and it’s $35 cheaper, too.

If that’s too much Internet for you, Gigabit Squared offers alternative packages for less coin. Customers can sign up for 100 Mbps download and 100 Mbps upload service for $45 each month. With this package and the 1,000 Mbps up / down package, a $350 installation fee is waived if the customer signs a one year service agreement.

In the event that you rarely use the web or are on an extremely tight budget, the 5 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload package might be for you. This package is free of charge for the first 60 months (five years) although customers are required to pay a $350 installation fee up front. After the first five years, service will run just $10 per month.

The fiber provider is partnering with the University of Washington for the project and will be focusing their initial efforts on neighborhoods near the college. First Hill, Capitol Hill and Central Area will also be among the first to receive connections, we’re told.

Interested parties can sign up for the service starting next month although it’s worth pointing out that the network won’t be up and running until sometime in 2014.

2 people like this | MilwaukeeMike said:

Considering I'm paying $60/month for 10Mbps this sounds like a steal.

1 person liked this | TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Can't wait for this to come to my neighborhood. I'll dump Comcast so fast it will hurt. But I am a little confused at the initial offering areas - First Hill, Capitol Hill and the Central areas are all (for the most part) low-rent, low-tech locations. Most of the technology power-users are located in downtown, U District, Queen Anne, Ballard, Fremont and Green Lake areas.

Maybe they just want to try some low-density setups first to get the bugs worked out. That's OK - I'm patient!

1 person liked this | Blkfx1 Blkfx1 said:

Those good deals just makes me mad I don't live in Seattle. I hate the $70ish/month I pay for 50Mbps. Bring fiber to Michigan please lol.

SexyMan SexyMan said:

On the other news: SoCal is still under the mercy of TimeWarner, AT&T and Verizon.

MilwaukeeMike said:

Considering I'm paying $60/month for 10Mbps this sounds like a steal.

Man o man that's high as hell. I pay 115.00 for phone, 30 Mbps and digital TV.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Considering I'm paying $60/month for 10Mbps this sounds like a steal.
Since 1000Mbps is being offered for $80, then surely 10Mbps can be offered for $8. So much for thinking broadband prices should be relatively proportional to performance.

You would normally think fair pricing at the bottom of the scale would be drastically lowered, before exponential performance is priced for a few bucks more.

1 person liked this | MilwaukeeMike said:

Actually if 1000 Mbps is $80 then 10 should be $.80. But you're right, the scaling is backwards.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Yeah I know I wasn't scaling at 1:1, but you gotta admit 10Mbps would be awesome at $8.

What I don't understand is why we don't have such an option in the SILICON VALLEY!

Chazz said:

They're charging roughly 6 bucks a month for 10mbps for the first 5 years. That seems even more awesome.

Time Warner is in the same boat as Comcast. Tv/cable(no paid channels)and internet for a lil over two hundred.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

O.O

If true, that is awesome. Now all we need is coast to coast* delivery.

*That would be a trip around the globe from point A back to point A.

Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

Hah google smashing the incumbents. Wish they would rollout fibre in our country!

1 person liked this | Guest said:

As long as the lobbyists stands in the way, you will never see fiber in Michigan.

psycros psycros said:

I'd happily pay that for 1mb (megaBIT) service. And we'll never even get that where I live. Go five miles in three different directions and can you get DSL. Go another three in one of those directions and you also have cable. Oh sure, we can get water lines ran 10 miles right next to the roads but the phone company is three years overdue for fixing the infrastructure. This included their agreeing to bring DSL to 90% of the state, for which they received monster incentives to set up shop. Not only does most of the state not have DSL yet, not even 25% of the barely-functional landlines have been replaced. Even the biggest towns have a top speed of about 600kbs down - the cable companies laugh when someone threatens to switch to DSL. Of course when you have rednecks stealing about 100 yrds of phone cable per month it doesn't help, which begs the question: why oh why isn't anyone seeing the huge opportunity for high-powered WISPS in areas like mine? People here would gladly pay $50/mth for reliable LTE or Wimax with minimal limitations. It could even be throttled somewhat and nobody would mind. Seriously, I'd be overjoyed with Internet from 1999. In fact, ten years ago I could get ISDN here, so we've actually went *backwards*. Think about that next time you're complaining about your "terrible" 10mbs cable service.

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

For sure one thing I didnt like about living in Detroit.

war59312 said:

Am I the only one wishing all the POS lobbyists would drop dead!

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

While I almost appreciate your rant, well actuallly I don't. These companies are still businesses so they still need to make money, and not next week, long term, like 20 year business plan so your pigeon carrier dial up may just be part of a last resort upgrade. You can also weigh the option of moving to an area with more infrastructure OR dealing with your dial up speeds.

I live 8 minutes from Downtown Detroit. I pay for my comcast. I'm not happy with it, but when I find people that are living closer to modern infrastructure get better speeds, up and downs. I can't complain.

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

Comcast double the speeds in my area we have fiber so I get 105mbps down and 20mbps up. Get increased throughput of 132mbps and 22mbps up was to get rid of their splitters in the box when I had ditch the CATV for HDTV dual HDANT range 80 miles with 82 channels booster amp with drop 8-way drop amp. Use better hardware inside the house also.

The ubee D3 modem I use is set to 1000mbps, my router port speed is managed so I can change the throughtput from auto to 105mbps down and 20mbps up thus making better speeds here. Cost me a lot more $99 bucks. I might fallback to 50mbps down and 10mbps save some money. To me right now there isn't much need for higher download speeds even at 50mbps down.

Timonius Timonius said:

Yeah, but how much bandwidth are they offering for those packages? Speed is great but if you are theoretically given 500 GB per month, which is quite a lot as it is, you'll fly through that in probably less than a week if you're a heavy user at those speeds.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

And if anyone is a heavy user, they shouldn't mind paying more for extra service.

stbecker said:

We're headed in the right direction. Google Fiber in KC and Austin in 2014. Up next, Provo and Seattle. What's weird is the Vermont gig network for $35 -- something smells like politics there.

I see a lot of companies cashing in as long as they can. And rightly so, as already stated, they are a business. But we all see the writing on the wall. The question is, will we continue to use fiber down the road or will radio-based networks (4G, 5G, etc) be the path of the future?

Heihachi1337 said:

MilwaukeeMike said:

Considering I'm paying $60/month for 10Mbps this sounds like a steal.

Man o man that's high as hell. I pay 115.00 for phone, 30 Mbps and digital TV.

You actually pay for television still? ewww, that's so 2003.

I'm paying $90 for 30Mbps internet and phone, really wish Charter and AT&T would just burn in hell.

Krimi Krimi said:

Aww man .. I pay $65 a month for 8Mbps and 150GB quota ... Australian ISP's suck !