DirectX 11.2 said to be a Windows 8.1 / Xbox One exclusive

By on July 5, 2013, 2:00 PM
microsoft, windows, xbox, directx, xbox one, directx 11.2

Microsoft’s upcoming DirectX 11.2 update, first shown off at the company’s Build conference last month, promises to deliver a host of new features and performance improvements in games and apps. But according to reports, the update is reportedly being limited to Windows 8.1 and next generation consoles like the Xbox One.

This exclusivity isn’t something new, however, as Microsoft pulled a similar move when transitioning to DirectX 11.1 as that update requires the use of Windows 8. Before that, DirectX 10 was a Windows Vista exclusive which left Windows XP users high and dry.

Perhaps this is one of Microsoft’s ways to help nudge Windows XP, Vista and 7 users toward upgrading to Redmond’s latest but whether or not it’ll work remains to be seen. Such requirements really did little to lead to the commercial success of Vista or Windows 8 but this time around, the timing is a bit different. Xbox One is just around the corner and if a number of games use it, perhaps it could take root better.

DirectX 11.2 brings with it a new key feature known as Direct3D tiled resources. Microsoft’s Antoine Leblond demonstrated the feature during Build which essentially lets developers easily use GPU and system RAM to store textures. This can be used to pull high resolution assets into a scene without overburdening the graphics card. For consumers, it could ultimately lead to an unprecedented amount of detail that won’t appear fuzzy or blurred when viewed close up.

3 people like this | wastedkill said:

Exclusive until someone makes it work on other versions of windows... won't be all that hard...

2 people like this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Did anyone not see this coming? It only proves MS is determined not to support the large Windows 7 user base. What I really don't understand is the lack in Windows 7 support, before the Windows XP user base was drastically minimized. If the goal is to move people from XP, changing OS versions (and dropping support for said version) every 2 years is not the way forward.

After all if MS is not willing to put out Windows 7 SP2, why would they update DirectX for Windows 7 or Windows 8 (especially if 8.1 is a free upgrade to 8).

1 person liked this | Puiu Puiu said:

The same tech (or something similar) is in opengl too. big deal.

Games won't magically support a feature on PC's in the first year they release it. At the rate in which Windows 8.1 is going to be adopted it will take 3-4 years. You just have to hope that some games that eventually get ported from xbox one might get it, but it's very RAM size/speed depended.

2 people like this | JC713 JC713 said:

1 person liked this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Even then it heavily depends on where the masses are with machine capabilities.

2 people like this | Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Yep, Microsoft is nothing if not predictable... It's the Vista/DX10 exclusive all over again. Saves Microsoft massive amounts of retrofit and support overhead, and coincidentally can be used in marketing to try to head up the lukewarm Windows8 sales. Luckily, as @JC713 pointed out, game developers aren't going to hop right into this and snub the majority of their potential consumer pool (just as they kept putting out DX9 titles LONG after Microsoft tried pushing their "DX10 is the future" mantra to bolster Vista sales).

"No game developers will put money into upgrading a game engine to support a minor DX update. Game developers wait for big releases, not small ones."

Are you a game developer?

2 people like this | hitech0101 said:

Ooh finally a reason for me to migrate to win8. Really M$ ??

jonelsorel said:

Anyone notice how good ol' Microsoft continues to link directx iterations to OS ones? Want entertainment, pay up and give up some privacy while at it !

As our access to information is exponentially growing, are we getting so retarded in the eyes of Microsoft that we need them to screen our installed software to tell us which is safe and which not?

EEatGDL said:

This is totally [Windows] Vista all over again, this just covered the "exclusive" missing part added to the exclusive Halo -Halo 2 for Vista, Halo Assault for Windows 8. So it seems they don't learn from their mistakes or they have a collective problem of amnesia.

3 people like this | AnonymousSurfer AnonymousSurfer said:

I'm gonna stick with my windows 7 and just wait for someone to crack it. Also, it seems that every other year, Windows comes out with a real shitty OS. Xp was good, Vista sucked. 7 is good, but 8 sucks. Hopefully this trend will continue to windows 9, where they realize the mistakes they have made.

3 people like this | m4a4 m4a4 said:

They are a company trying to make money. What are you guys honestly expecting? It's not surprising that they are giving incentives to try and get people to buy their new products........

4 people like this |
Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

Personally I think one of the biggest reasons that game development have stalled the last 5 years is because DirectX 10 & 11 where never backported to Windows XP

The user base that has access to the DirectX version above 9.0c is so small that no developers wanted to put any money towards it.

It is only in the last year that games requiring DirectX 10+ have been released.

It's too bad that OpenGL has lacked so much in the same timeframe, here is to hoping that in the future game companies write their games for OpenGL so we can play them on any platform, and not whatever MS wants to shove down our throats!

Nobina Nobina said:

They aren't gonna make much money forcing users to buy software/hardware nobody wants. They didn't with Vista and they didn't with Windows 8 yet, and I don't think they will in the future. But they did get money from Windows 7 when they listened more to the consumers.

IDK if they are stupid or what? They failed with Vista, they succeeded with 7, But let's go the Vista way, that might be a good idea. It's like they want profit and are working against them to stop themselves from getting it.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

What are you guys honestly expecting?
Honestly, I don't care about the DirectX 11.2 revision, Windows 8.1, or XBox One. But yet this seems to be how MS is trying to get everyone moving forward in time. Since I don't see much reason in moving forward with MS, I don't have any expectations with their current offerings.

I am however expecting a Windows 7 SP2 update. Only time will tell, if I ever get my expectation fulfilled. At this rate, I may not care what MS has to offer for the next 10 years. I can harbor rebellion for a very long time, and I'm sure there are others that feel the same way. It would be to MS's best interest, to simply release the damn service pack. Even if they fixed all the issues I have with Windows 8, I still wouldn't buy it because of how they have turned their back on Windows 7. Microsoft has disrespected each and everyone that bought into Windows 7. It will be a long time before I forget this.

What I honestly expect is a company that at least acts as if they care for their user base.

1 person liked this | coppersloane coppersloane said:

They invested too much in Windows 8 to not give incentive. What do you expect them to do, trash it and go back to the drawing board because Nobina said they won't make much money?

wastedkill said:

How is a new direct x a new incentive? its pretty much useless now its all down to engines and game devs clearly nothing to do with directx I mean come on ye its easier to develop for but seriously if you want amazing graphics you dont ask for a directx you either use a engine or make your own or just get good game devs.

Wastedkill said:

YES YES YES

Windows 7 32 bit doesnt allowed using my 4 GB RAM just only 3,2 GB but BIG THANKS for somebody modded the kernel.vxd and handle up to 128 GB.

HA HA Microsoft sucks, Balmeristhan

1 person liked this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I doubt that very much, for one reason. If you can address more than 4GB memory at the same time, you are no longer operating under 32-bits. I said address at the same time because paging doesn't count.

Just install the 64-bit version and get it over with. Then you wouldn't need to worry about possible glitches from hacking.

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

LMAO... I needed that.

RH00D RH00D said:

I'm not convinced big studios are going to pay their engine programmers to sit around twiddling their thumbs when they could be implementing new features that 2 out of 3 major gaming platforms support (Windows, Xbox, PS3).

1 person liked this | hellokitty[hk] hellokitty[hk], I'm a TechSpot Evangelist, said:

You'd think they know better by now.

Inb4 Halo 3 DX11.2 exclusive.

1 person liked this | PC nerd PC nerd said:

No Microsoft, I will not "upgrade" to your piece of shit OS.

Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

Investing too much in a bad idea doesn't mean they can't work out it was just a bad idea.

To be honest, I don't think Vista was all that bad. Win7 proves it - Vista plus polish. UAC is actually a great thing if you know how to use it. The rest of the OS is largely the same. Vista was just missing some kernel features that XP had and Win7 now has. Didn't we lose horizontal and vertical spanning in Vista? Maybe some other stuff. Can't remember.

Win8 however is completely at odds with a desktop PC in terms of usability. Optimistically, maybe there is a way they can "polish" it too. There is a LOT to do. It is such a major step back in productivity. I don't care about live tiles. I don't live on the desktop looking at the summary info of each app. I live *in* applications, browsing the web while running my email and chat apps on the side. If Win8 can be kludged in such a way to make that a nice experience, then dunno about you but my perception would change a bit.

JC713 JC713 said:

Even then it heavily depends on where the masses are with machine capabilities.

True.

spencer spencer said:

That's stupid as pucK!

Sunny87 said:

And does this work on all the latest graphics cards that people just purchased in their new builds? No.

OpenGL is where I'm staying I miss the good old days when you could just download DX and hope to god that your setup was enough to play said game of choice.

1 person liked this | Nima304 said:

I'm still not upgrading from Windows 7.

OortCloud said:

Microsoft have always used DirectX and IE as ways to force unwilling consumers to upgrade to newer OS's they neither need nor want.

It's very annoying. As a web developer MS's attitude to browser updates has causes me huge pain. The web would be so much better place if MS's made IE just a normal application (like Chrome and Firefox) which can be upgraded to the latest version whenever that arrives, and didn't pretend that directx and IE are built into the OS at some system level. Instead we are stuck wiith this cycle where game devs and all the web sites in the world have to cope with multiple versions of DirectX and multiple flavours of IE browser most of which should have been dead and buried long ago.

Its also really damaging to Microsoft as their reputation is so tarnished these days by IE8 (which has absolutely zero understanding of HTML5) and which is still out there on millions of XP machines that corporations and private users just don't want to upgrade. So many of the websites you visit are compromised in order to cope with this dinosaur.

Nobina Nobina said:

I don't expect them to go back to the drawing board, but I did expect them to go the Windows 7 way, I'm not the only one for sure. And I didn't say they won't make much money, bad sales did.

OortCloud said:

All the big game engines for PC use Directx internally - Unreal Engine, Cry Engine etc. Directx is a Hardware Abstraction Layer between the engine and the card. Without guaranteed support for dx11.2 those engines and the games which use them will either have perform certain tasks in different ways based on which dx version you have or if the devs don't have the time/inclination not use 11.2 features at all. Neither of these situations is ideal.

1 person liked this | emmzo said:

Will somebody, please, make a decent OS for the PC and develop opengl? Google, Facebook, China? I don't care, I'm sick and tired of this endless discussion. Of course they want to squeeze more money and if it hadn't been for Sony they would have gotten away with the same customer buttfxcking on the consoles.

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

Mess with the PC gamers and you end up getting hacked.

2 people like this | Railman said:

That graphic of the X looks like the tacky X factor ident. Says it all!

Cliffordcooley

God bless you and your 64 bit windows too.

Interesting mind but not mine.

When I buy a new house and live there, I will dont drop my dogs into river and buy new ones because they not compatible with the new doghouse.

1 person liked this | Camikazi said:

Wastedkill said:

YES YES YES

HA HA Microsoft sucks, Balmeristhan

That is called smoke and mirrors along with PAE switch (which is turned off for a good reason BTW), it doesn't help much. BTW even with that patch if the wrong program or driver tries to access above the actual limit your system will crash and it still won't be as fast as an x64 system doing the same thing.

technogiant said:

Does this really need an OS upgrade? Would it not be easy for game developers to steal a bit of system RAM to use exclusively as a sort of ram disk texture streaming cache?

The question is: will this make them money? How many users will be pushed away to other software or hardware in preference to having to work with windows hate? How many will think twice about buying a new windows version if this will happen every year or two?

Why can't they just charge people $5 to use this with windows 7?

They may get a few home users with this but corporate users will not come over to windows hate because of it. The main reason for sticking with windows is that staff know how to use it. If they are going to have to retrain everyone to use 8, what will persuade them to stick with windows at all?

Railman said:

Why not just wait for Windows 9. How many folks have a GPU that can take advantage of X 11.2?

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

From what I've read this is compatible with any card that is DX11 compatible? Well that means every card since the Nvidia 400 series and every ATI card since the 5000 series are compatible however, This is an obvious attempt to move people away from Windows XP, Vista and 7, I honestly don't think it'll work.

Also, Not sure if any game devs are here but I was wondering if some of the features in 11.2 can be implemented at an Engine level? Such as the ability to stream textures from RAM? If so, I wonder if it would get implemented since the majority of Gamers (at least based on the Steam Hardware Survey [link] have Windows 7?

I see a lot of people going on here about how MS are trying to force you to move on and how you won't do it. Fair enough, I don't think they care in the slightest. Eventually though there will be games you want to play and you will move on.

Supporting old operating systems with new versions of DirectX takes a considerable amount of extra code and has negative performance implications. I'd be happier with a game running in win 8.1 that only runs in win 8.1, but runs well, rather than having reduced speed because ****** refuse to move off of WinXP. Thankfully MS are starting to get rid of ancient backwards compatibility, which is the way it should be.

To be honest I don't understand what you Win7 users are complaining about. Win8 is practically Win7, just no start bar and no 3d Win+Tab. My system runs faster in Win8 than it did in Win7 and the 8.1 upgrade should improve it further.

If you really are a web developer then you really need to do some studying. IE is an application and can be upgraded independently of the operating system. The reason old operating systems don;t get a new browser is as the operating system gains new functions, old functions become deprecated and eventually get dropped. Too many features got dropped between XP and Win7 for them to be able to make new version of IE backwards compatible with XP.

What you are commenting on here is the exact thing you want however. Microsoft are refusing to make software backwards compatible to encourage users to being their operating systems, browser and graphics libraries up to date. That's what you should want as a developer.

The idea of keeping an old operating system going forever and just continuing to patch and fix the software is ludicrous. At some point they have to say "This is the new OS, you have to use it as we no longer support that one". This is exactly the same as how you can't use 16 bit software on 64 bit machines natively.

Zilpha Zilpha said:

Every company is in the business of making money. Some have a quality product that people are happy to pay for, and some have a mediocre product and try to bully you into buying it.

This isn't an "incentive". An incentive is added value to a product that would make someone on the fence take the leap. There are very few, if any, people "on the fence" about Windows 8. For desktop and laptop PC users who don't want to inconvenience themselves just for the sake of saying they have the highest release number of an OS - we're happily going to stay with 7 as long as we can (or until M$ gets their heads our of their arses).

Railman said:

I was under the impression that Vista, W7 and W8 have a great deal in common so producing a browser that works for those operating systems should be relatively straight forward. As XP is so radically different I can see why MS have an argument not supporting that version. Frankly they are just motivated by greed.

Railman said:

By the way I have yet to update from XP! I was thinking of getting W7 but at the moment it is the same cost as W8.

1 person liked this | treetops treetops said:

Windows 7 no longer gets the latest updates after 3-4 years?! wow.

Railman said:

MS are still selling W7. In fact they sell more copies of the OEM version than W8. They should continue support on W7. It is not a case of no income from W7. In fact my employee has just updated from XP to W7 a few months ago. Basically MS are ripping us off.

Railman said:

Sorry should have put employer not employee!

OortCloud said:

Sorry but that's drivel. I guess you post as a guest for a good reason.

Given that win7 and 8 have essentially the same kernel (which you even state at one point in your ridiculous xp-user-hate filled rant) Win7 would support dx11.2 exactly the same as Win8. If you're going to go off on one, at least have the courage of your convictions and do it under a proper account, you child.