Report: Apple will use IGZO displays for new iPad, MacBook

By on July 10, 2013, 4:30 PM
apple, ipad, macbook, sharp, lg, igzo, displays, screens

Apple is reportedly in talks with LG and Sharp to provide IGZO displays for the iPad and MacBook. The new energy-saving technology would deliver better battery life to both portable machines and could arrive on Apple’s tablet as early as this year (or perhaps sometime next year) according to a report from Patently Apple.

IGZO (indium gallium zinc oxide) displays afford a few benefits over traditional panels. For starters, the thin-film transistors inside these screens allow more light to pass through the back which results in a brighter panel. Furthermore, this trait can also reduce the number of backlit LEDs used which helps to reduce overall cost. And since the panels use a high pixel density, they require less energy which leads to longer battery life in mobile devices like notebooks and tablets.

Sources claim that Sharp is already ramping up production of IGZO panels while LG is in the process of repurposing existing OLED and LCD production lines to build the screens. It was speculated by DisplaySearch analyst Charles Annis that Apple may use the technology from Sharp in the third generation iPad last year but as we now know, that didn’t pan out. Whether or not that decision was on purpose is still up for debate.

Most expect the next generation iPad to hit the scene either later this year or in early 2014 while a refresh of the MacBook line isn’t expected until sometime during the first half of next year. It is unclear whether the report is referring to the full-sized iPad, iPad mini or both, however.

OneSpeed said:

Hey, doesn't LG make Android phones?

yRaz yRaz said:

Igzo panels look great. I think they will quickly replace ips panels. IIRC, sharp has a monopoly on the with their aquos series so that amy never happen. Still, it's the best picture I've seen behind plasma and amoled.

JC713 JC713 said:

LG displays suck. Good to hear that Sharp is stepping in.

1 person liked this | misor misor said:

LG displays suck. Good to hear that Sharp is stepping in.

if lg displays **** and isheep buys apple products which utilize this type of lg display, are isheep ****ers then? :-)

(oh, I remember I have two 20" monitors, one is made by acer, the other is made by lg. I'm also a ****er! )

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

If they're as good and cheap as they claim to be then everybody should be using them.

JC713 JC713 said:

I have had iphones with crappy displays. I opened it up and found out through some research that it was a LG. LG has not been good to me xD.

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I have a 22inch LG 1680x1050 TFT and its been great for the 4 years I have owned it. I also bought a 26inch LG LCD TV (1366x768) 7 years ago to use with my Xbox 360 and its still going strong. I would definitely purchase LG again. Maybe one of us was lucky/unlucky

JC713 JC713 said:

Their general displays are great. The ones for mobile devices arent that great.