Microsoft launches ad-free Bing for Schools, will award free Surface RT tablets in exchange for using its search engine

By on August 21, 2013, 1:00 PM
microsoft, bing, tablet, search, microsoft surface, search engines, surface rt, schools, bing for schools

Microsoft has announced a new ad-free version of Bing aimed specifically at the education market. The initiative -- appropriately named Bing for Schools -- is launching as a pilot program and not only gives K-12 public and private schools in the U.S. the choice to avoid the commercialization of student web searches, it also promises a safer environment with strict filtering of adult content and better privacy protections.

As you’d expect, Microsoft took the opportunity to lash at Google claiming their ads can distract kids from their studies, and stating its belief that schools 'are for learning and not selling.'

But aside from seemingly taking the high road while patting itself on the back, Microsoft has other plans to lure schools towards its search engine. Specifically, the company says anyone who wants to support a particular school — not just parents and teachers — can contribute their Bing Rewards credits to a common pool. For every 30,000 Bing Rewards credits, the school will receive a Microsoft tablet and Touch Cover.

Bing Rewards allows anyone to earn credits simply by using Microsoft’s search engine. According to the company’s estimates, 60 users can earn the necessary 30,000 credits in a month using Bing regularly.

Additionally, Microsoft is also providing free daily lessons on the Bing homepage that are geared to multiple ages and subjects, and are aligned with Common Core standards to make them easy to use.

Several schools with more than 800,000 students have already signed up for the pilot, and though registrations are still open across the nation, Microsoft says only a limited number of schools will be accepted at this stage.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Microsoft will do anything to get rid of those Surface RT tablets.

Dave Basener said:

Wow. That would be really innovative and a complete coup over Google if Google didn't already offer ad-free search, as well as a completely free (as in cost, data collection and ads) installation of Google Apps for Education. Something they have provided for years now. And MS is just getting around to it? And I don't think their online office suite is yet completely free for students.

This is quite a hard hitting article. Any actual reporting here or did you just take the MS flyer and go home?

JC713 JC713 said:

MS is getting desperate with these tablets it seems.

3 people like this | treeski treeski said:

Regardless of the ultimate intentions, it's a win for schools and students.

2 people like this | Chazz said:

Regardless of the ultimate intentions, it's a win for schools and students.

I don't understand how anyone could down that.

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

Lol, even on techspot?

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Microsoft will do anything to get rid of those Surface RT tablets.

MS is getting desperate with these tablets it seems.
I did notice they are giving them away, after realizing RT wouldn't sell.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Regardless of the ultimate intentions, it's a win for schools and students.

As you say, MS are not always the bad boys. Lets wait & see how Google responds to this.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Microsoft will do anything to get rid of those Surface RT tablets.

MS is getting desperate with these tablets it seems.
I did notice they are giving them away, after realizing RT wouldn't sell.

It's better than just chucking them away. If MS gave you one for free I'm sure you'd accept it. I know I would.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

The only way I would except it would be with the intentions of replacing RT with a different OS. It would strictly be a hobby experience, otherwise I would have no use for it.

1 person liked this | Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

That's a good idea. You could try replacing the OS with either Symbian or Palm OS.

JC713 JC713 said:

Yeah, definitely. It just shows that RT failed bad.

coppersloane coppersloane said:

Regardless of the ultimate intentions, it's a win for schools and students.

I don't understand how anyone could down that.

Regular TechSpot trolls will down anything. Makes them feel good.

coppersloane coppersloane said:

MS is getting desperate with these tablets it seems.

Getting?

Getting the general public to try ANYTHING that doesn't have an Apple on it is an act of desperation in and of itself.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Getting?

Maybe in the U.S. but not everywhere else.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I just hit Silver status with Bing Rewards. And I'm not interested in any of the rewards. lol

Should I go for gold status?