Intel to publicly demonstrate solid state drive overclocking at IDF

By on August 26, 2013, 10:00 AM

Enthusiasts have been squeezing extra performance out of processors, memory and graphics cards via overclocking for as long as I can remember. The challenge and ultimate satisfaction of achieving a stable overclock can often be more rewarding than the performance gains which is why Intel’s first public demonstration of overclocking a solid state drive piqued my interest so.

Next month’s Intel Developer Forum in San Francisco will be the stage for the tech demo according to a published session agenda titled Overclocking Unlocked Intel Core Processors for High Performance Gaming and Content Creation. Specifically, Intel mentions the first public demonstration of overclocking Intel SSDs will occur. The talk is scheduled for the morning of September 10 at 11:00 AM.

There’s not a whole lot to go on otherwise, but the idea itself brings up a few possible scenarios. Intel could be prepared to let users overclock the controller chip on their solid state drive or perhaps enable overclocking of the storage interface – either SATA or PCIe. The latter seems a bit less likely from a practical standpoint as overclocking the entire interface would also affect other connected devices.

While the idea of a faster anything is always welcomed, I’m also a bit leery of overclocking a storage device as one false move or bad overclock could potentially spell disaster for valuable data. I’d venture a guess that Intel has thought about this as well and has some sort of data loss prevention method in place, however.

JC713 JC713 said:

Once SATA Express comes out, this will actually be useful.

1 person liked this | TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I'd be nervous as hell o/c'ing my SSD, particularly as it serves as it my boot drive and holds my OS. Will be interesting to see how/if they can pull this off without damaging the drive or corrupting the data.

JC713 JC713 said:

Yeah I definitely wont try this until it provides a large enough benefit while still keeping my info safe. Heck, RAID 0 might be as risky but faster.

MrBungle said:

How would you know that anything was wrong with your OC? Is the system going to lock up or are you going to go back to get your data and find out that its all corrupt? It will be interesting to see this none the less.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Risk? Who cares?

Overclocked Raid 0 challenge accepted.

We will see overclockers will try to OCed it with LN2

MonsterZero MonsterZero said:

You gain little to no speed, and actually hinder the performance of your SSD by putting it in Raid 0 depending on the size of your SSD.

Source:

[link]

I too would not overclock my SSD, unless I gained substantial throughput. I would rather let someone else try firstt LOL

This is just silly.

I need a practical overclock on something useful, like my keyboard. Oh, and a 2Gb buffer for my Superman typing..

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

I'll sit this one out thanks. I'm not interested in OC'ing my SSD. It's fast enough. I am interested in OC'ing my keyboard though... :P

Source:

[link]

Your source contradicts your statements for the most part.

SSDs are capable of many iops, and the Intel chip set firmware they

Used to accomplish raid 0 is not capable of handling the combined

Iops. This is why in certain cases there was no benefit and slight

Performance degradation. Raid 0 will improve performance in every

Metric but it requires that a real raid card is used.