Nintendo 2DS coming October 12, backwards compatible with all 3DS, DS games

By on August 28, 2013, 4:00 PM

Interested in picking up a Nintendo 3DS handheld but not too keen on the idea of 3D technology? Well today is your lucky day as Nintendo has just outed the latest device in their handheld arsenal, aptly known as the 2DS.

Nintendo is billing the 2DS as an entry-level portable and the $129.99 price point backs up that notion. Aside from the obvious 2D limitations, the handheld also different from the 3DS in the fact that it doesn’t fold in half. Instead, it uses a flat form factor which could make transporting the device a bit less convenient at the very least.

Perhaps the most notable feature of the 2DS is the ability to play the entire collection of 3DS games which includes physical copies and downloaded titles – just not that it’ll do so in 2D. What’s more, the console will be backwards compatible with DS games as well. If you already have a nice collection of DS and 3DS games, you’d be able to jump right in with a 2DS and have plenty of games to play.

In related news, there are a number of highly anticipated 3DS games in the pipeline including Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure (Sept. 24), Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate (Oct. 25), Skylanders SWAP Force (Oct. 13) and Sonic Lost World (Oct. 22).

The new portable console will be available starting October 12 in both red and blue color schemes. Nintendo is also producing matching red and blue carrying cases priced at $12.99 each.

ikesmasher said:

As cool as this is the slate design is annoying to me, these things should be able to fit in your pocket...

MrAnderson said:

Maybe when they release the 2DS micro :p it will fit in the pocket.

It seems cool, but it feels like they have given up on the 3D part of it. I hope this device does not eat into the sale of the 3DS. It seems like this is the device for the really little kids. Made to be big so it is harder to misplace. Guess you cannot go wrong if you do what Apple eventually does. Now get cross platform virtual console games that have different features on each device and now we are cooking with plasma!

1 person liked this | dennis777 dennis777 said:

I actually like the design.. it reminds me of the "game and watch" before.

JC713 JC713 said:

I think this is cool, but it should be more tablet-like since it uses a slate design.

1 person liked this | NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

No more worrying about broken hinges. That's a good reason to get it for kids

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Yeah. It makes a nice gift for young kids. It's a good idea but of no interest to me.

tehbanz tehbanz said:

I'm going to get one to keep at home, while my standard 3ds will be my portable!

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Cool, a good price discount too. I don't want the 3D aspect of 3DS, so this may lure me.