Windows 8 market share surpasses all versions of OS X combined

By on September 2, 2013, 6:30 AM
apple, microsoft, windows, linux, net applications, windows 8, mac os x, market share

According to Net Applications, Windows 8 has achieved a milestone in the month of August, overtaking the market share of all versions of Mac OS X combined. Microsoft's latest operating system gained 2.01 percentage points in August to end with 7.41% of the market, allowing it to gain a narrow lead on Mac OS X, which posted a market share of 7.28%.

The growth Windows 8 experienced in August was the largest month-on-month gain since its launch in October last year, although it's not quite clear what sparked the sudden influx of upgrades. It could perhaps be related to the price cuts of Microsoft's Surface RT and Surface Pro tablets, or the leaks of the Windows 8.1 RTM, or simply a large amount of mid-year system purchases.

Net Applications: Operating system market share, August 2013

Operating System August 2013 Market Share July 2013 Market Share Market Share Gain
Windows 8 7.41% 5.40% 2.01%
Windows 7 45.63% 44.46% 1.14%
Windows Vista 4.11% 4.24% -0.13%
Windows XP 33.66% 37.19% -3.53%
Windows Other 0.38% 0.27% 0.11%
Windows Total 91.19% 91.56% -0.37%
Mac OS X 7.28% 7.19% 0.09%
Linux 1.52% 1.25% 0.27%

Windows 7 also saw a gain of 1.14% in August, while Windows Vista and Windows XP declined by 0.13 and 3.53 percent respectively. Overall, Windows saw a fractional decline of 0.37% in the month, which allowed both Mac OS X and Linux to gain a small amount of market share.

Despite gains for Windows 8 in August, it seems Microsoft hasn't been able to convince a large number of Windows 7 users to upgrade. The launch of Windows 8.1 later this year, which addresses a number of complaints surrounding Windows 8, may prompt more users to upgrade their OS, but at least for now it seems Windows 7 and Windows XP will remain kings of the market.

1 person liked this | ETF Soldier ETF Soldier said:

Windows 8 isn't convincing Windows 7 users to join because Windows 7 is better. The only people going to windows 8 are the people ditching XP and Vista because all of the new PC's come with W8, otherwise Windows 7 is still on the rise.

Jamlad said:

"..it seems Microsoft hasn't been able to convince a large number of Windows 7 users to upgrade."

Ha! When you pry my copy of win7 from my cold, dead hands. Or release a real OS. 8 has been tainted and is interchangable with Vista for most consumers now.

8 people like this |
Staff
Steve Steve said:

There is no way Windows 7 is better than Windows 8, that's rubbish in my opinion. Windows 8 is a vast improvement. Yes removing the start menu was stupid but once you add it back with 3rd party software Windows 8 becomes their best OS yet. Guys need to get over bashing Windows 8 just because the start menu was removed, if you couldn't add it back for free I might agree but you can. Let's be honest all versions of Windows would suck if it wasn't for the wealth of 3rd party software.

Staff
Scorpus Scorpus said:

Especially when you look at the vast improvements across the desktop interface, dual-screen settings, and back-end

1 person liked this | TheBigFatClown said:

And in a surprising upset Windows 8 is declared "WINNER BY DEFAULT". What do I mean when I say "Winner by default"? I mean that Windows 7 wants to keep fighting but they won't let him into the ring. The fight was fixed. What a scam. What a fraud.

Edit: Do these statistics represent desktop market share also or are they deceptively including all tablets and cellphones as well as desktops, sold to 3rd party re-sellers that are sitting in boxes collecting dust on shelves in warehouses? Why compare Windows to Mac OS X when MAC OS X is marketed to the desktop segment alone?

Windows 8 is a failure. I guess a little marketing spin and stat manipulation couldn't hurt anything at this point.

1 person liked this | TheBigFatClown said:

Stop trying to insult people's intelligence by suggesting that 50% of Windows 7 users at minimum aren't upgrading to the Windows 8 operating system because of a missing Start menu. It's a lot of things. A lot of little things put together and of course the UI. The operating system was designed for tablets. Desktops were considered but it appears they were an afterthought. Functionality was stripped from the operating system that did not have to be stripped. It's only because Microsoft wants to force upon us a dumbed down operating system. One that restricts freedoms. One that keeps Microsoft more in control and the user has less control.

You say Windows 8 is a vast improvement. But you don't say how? Tell us all how it's transformed your life. It boots faster, right? LOL. Ok, I think we all get that at this point.

Windows 8 bashing will continue through at least the next major release of Windows when we declare it(the next release of Windows) either a failure or a success. Until then, you might as well sit back and enjoy the show.

misor misor said:

Is there such a thing as the comparison/market share of desktop OSes versus tablet OSes (windows 8.x, iOS, android, etc) ?

Joshw Joshw said:

I agree, they should of added more useful features for desktop users or really just had a windows Desktop and windows tablet versions. I would have wanted things like virtual desktops, real multi-monitor support, an updated start menu (not a start page), and maybe some stuff for gamers since Windows is the gaming platform for PCs (like a gpu monitor in the task manager and something like the Razer Game Booster.) It is nice that they made it start up 5 seconds faster but that's really not something that makes it so I feel like I need it. Plus the GUI on general looks worse they completely removed shadows making it look really flat and dull. If Macs were good for gaming I'd build a Hackintosh tomorrow and use that instead.

1 person liked this | Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I went from 7 to 8 and I'm loving it! I changed both systems in my desktop and notebook and if I ever get another windows machine that doesnt come with 8 I will certainly get it for that one too.

YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID!

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I hate rednecks going all "EVERYONE" when they actually mean themselves and their wife-cousin.

MS's biggest problem is not WIN8 design, but it was apparent with beta releases that users wanted start back and the non-touch user to be valued. MS had so much feedback during the betas and they chose to ignore the complaints.

Design the product, beta test it and LISTEN TO YOUR USERS COMPLAINTS.

GreenArrow GreenArrow said:

can you make an article listing windows 8 start menus, that would be helpful and may stop this argument.

But Win8.1 makes "those^" arguments irrelevant.. 8.1 = 7

Nothing you can say is going to change the enmity MS has generated over Win8. Its only glory is faster boot time (which in and of itself is all MS needed to make it a great success). Otherwise, if you go deep into daily use of the OS, you encounter many layers of errors and glitches. You can't copy and paste between many programs. While the OS itself doesn't, programs running within it do crash, and the only way use the program again it to reboot the system.

So, generally speaking, much of the laudatory commentary about Win8 being the best Windows ever comes across as either fanboy BS or editorial writers trolling for advertising dollars.

3 people like this | MrBungle said:

Windows 8 should be judged on its own without modifications not sanctioned by MS, by saying its the best version of windows after you modify it you invalidate your argument. I could say the same thing about any number of other items... here are some examples to illustrate my point:

"A Honda Civic is an amazing off-road vehicle! All you need to do is mount the body to a truck frame, swap out the motor and drive train for a V8 and some Dana 44s, and add some 37" tires!"

"A riding lawn mower makes a great vehicle for a single person who just needs to go a few miles! All you have to do is remove the mower deck, swap out the tires for ATV tires, then replace the transmission with one that is designed to go 40 MPH instead of 6 MPH."

"A $300 e-machines from wal-mart is a powerful gaming machine! All you have to do is swap out the power supply with one that is 700W+, add in a GTX 780, upgrade the processor to a quad-core, quadruple the RAM, give it an SSD as a boot drive and use the included hard drive as a data disk."

See where I'm going with this? No, windows 8 is not a good OS... it's terrible, absolutely terrible for anyone not using a tablet, it's designed for touch first and throws us desktop/laptop users under the bus and does this all so that MS can try and force everyone to use their App store.

As far as I'm concerned MS can take Windows 8, their sky-drive, their App store, and any of the rest of their stuff that has no business on a proper computer and shove it up their @$$.

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

So much hate on this thread, you'd think the topic would be about apple

Ranger1st Ranger1st said:

I would like to see whomever did this survey contact a portion of the new owners and see how many deleted Win 8 for win 7. I know I did that for my Wife's laptop.

BMfan BMfan said:

I have done that to my PC a couple times,hoping updates would fix it.

I don't think even 8.1 will make it much better,if at all.

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

To me it looks like these stats lump both Win8 & Win8 RT into the same group, while not doing the same with Mac OS X & iOS

If we look at the numbers over at Statcounter instead for the same period we find that Win8 = 7.04% Mac OS X = 7.18% & iOS = 4.3%

[link]

ETF Soldier ETF Soldier said:

YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID!

How does that make it invalid in any way? Clearly you are not a gamer, because if you were you'd agree with me. Gaming on Windows 8 is horrible.

GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

Its a universal OS designed for all devices, saying its strictly designed for touch because of a few interfaces that are improved to work with touch does not mean its strictly for touch. The desktop works just like it did in 7, I push the windows key if I need to open upthe start menu (You know the little button on the KEYBOARD thats been there since the 90's) and I start typing if I need to find something. I almost never click anything except on the desktop itself and to open up a program. You could do all that with windows 7 yes, but 8 gives me answeres in a mere second with no hesitation, it is optimised and very fluent.

Lets give a hand to Steve for this post, thats the best sum up of what everyones problems with windows 8 is.

Im a gamer, my desktop is on Windows 8, enlighten me to all these supposid issues im supposed to be having while gaming. I get the same or better FPS in all games when I changed from windows 7 to 8, have seen no downsides in the gaming area.

Where did he insult anyones intelligence, he stated the truth which is what most (not all) arguments about windows 8 revolve around on the negative side, the start menu. Most arguments start off with "I hate windows 8 because the start menu was removed blah blah" and then drift off from there. Apparently make the OS run more efficient and faster is less important than having an operating with a basic menu at the bottom that clickable. Its getting old real fast because its honestly the point was made that people wanted it back and people still have something to complain about. Microsoft is just this years company to hate and no matter what they do, they are going to be critized.

1 person liked this | Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I am a gamer and I have had no problems playing any game, for all that matters I play SC2, BF3, Crysis 2, LoL, APB, WarThunder, among others but those are the games that take most of my time, so, I am a gamer and I don't agree with you, I bet a friend told you or you read from a forum something about someone who crashed his computer and you adopted it as a moto... It's not true. Your argument is also invalid.

Back to the first time I said his argument was invalid was because according to him only people who are ditching XP and Vista and those that buy new computers that come with windows 8 are those who use it, I ditched 7 for 8 so... his argument is invalid, do I need to make it more clear?

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

All I can say is I totally agree with you.

Some complain saying "it's not meant for powerusers"... I say it's whole concept is powerusers, everything is easier to find with the new search features, if you know your keyboard shortcuts it's amazing how much you don't even require de start screen.

I'm pretty sure it's flaming people that read 1 user ***** about windows 8 and they all accepted it as the new moto for windows 8 "it sucks".

I installed it on my notebook and the next week I got windows 8 for my desktop computer. I loved windows 8, I'm loving windows 8.

1 person liked this | captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

All I can say is I totally agree with you.

A lot of this makes one think that you believe you should be speaking for everyone, and you're not.

Heretofore, more or less every other version did suck. "Suck", is such a strong term.

For example Vista was, "meh".

"Windows ME", was the "mistake edition.

Speaking strictly for myself, Win 8 appears to be another "customer funded beta test". The same as Vista. Just some garbage M$ pieced together to fund further R&D, and attempt to herd sheep their "app store". Which I interpret as an attempt to "close the system", in a similar manner to Apple. And hey, if you want to know anything about shepherding, consult the "sheep meister", Apple Corp.

And again, speaking strictly for myself, I'm not some "desperate to be on the cusp of cool", modern day imbecile, that needs Fischer-Price "touch me blocks", to "actualize my potential", at the computer console.

So, a quick recap. Steve Ballmer isn't fit to carry Bill Gates' jockstrap. Windows 8 is HIS baby. He publicly stated that, "Windows 8 is our biggest gamble", and it appears it's a bet that he lost, big time.

And then he pulled the ripcord on his "golden parachute".

(Wait for it)............. The End

JC713 JC713 said:

OS X > Windows 8.

1 person liked this | dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

For tablet numbers here you go:

Add the unit numbers to the desktop numbers and work a ballpark percentage.

3 people like this | Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

To be fair I don't recommend Windows 8 purely based on the new interface, The amount if people who have come up to me to get Windows 7 put back on their machine is unreal, reason? They hate the new start menu thing that seems to pop up everywhere.

In an enterprise environment, pushing out a Free App is impossible because if you get any issues with it, absolutely no chance of getting support, If It's a paid version, the higher up's ask "why do we need this" only response is "because Windows 8 is a little bit shit"...

I literally don't care (and I bet many people will agree with this) about having the same OS on all my devices, as long as they can talk to each other I would much prefer they were all customized for the device it is installed on, Windows is not a cheap bit of software and now cannot play DVD's straight out the box and so on they've just made an already expensive OS less attractive.

I have no idea what "back end" improvements they've made but apart from a faster boot up time and some fancy graphs when copying stuff it really isn't much better than Windows 7.

In fact after working between the 3 (I've been using 8.1 for a month now) the only useful thing I've found is the ability to mount ISO's straight into My Computer.

No mouse friendly start menu, No DVD playback, No non full screen search options, No easy way to change Licensing details (product Keys etc...) & (although no where near the levels of Vista) Software compatibility issues (Third Party VPN Issues) Older games not working (usually caused by something simple which like installed .NET framework 3.5 which isn't part of the default install) have all killed Windows 8 in most of our client base and (luckily) we're not forced to use a particular version.

So I recommend and install Windows 7 on every machine I build and client install unless instructed otherwise.

1 person liked this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Thats a prime example of failing to force the market to change. Giving the market options and allowing them to change on their own is the only way forward.

3 people like this | St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Ugh, yet another stupid comment thread. Defenders of Win8 only ever say this:

"Yeah, but you can get the Start menu back with 3rd party apps, so your argument is invalid!"

Wrong. We have a problem with METRO, in its entirety. Can you get rid of Metro entirely? Nope. Therefore, the above 'defence' is so irrelevant that a flying pig caught it in it's mouth.

Oh, what about the "better dual-screen support"? Wrong, Win8 contains Metro which has horrendous dual-screen support.

What has tainted the OS is Metro. It is an abomination, one which cannot be removed from the OS via any means previously found. As such, Win8 is unusable to a large amount of users. If you can't see how Metro is a problem, then you're obviously not using the OS as much as you think you are.

coppersloane coppersloane said:

This Microsoft Hate Debate is hysterical. The lengths to which people will go to discredit something they're not forced to use is disturbing, but wholly entertaining. I even had that BigFatClown guy call me a chimpanzee because I dared to say I was enjoying Windows 8.1.

5 people like this | dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

WELCOME to the Internet! If you enjoyed the Microsoft Hate Debate you'll absolutely love these continuing soap opera webisodes:

"AMD Drivers Suck: Confessions of an Nvidia-Since-1995 User"

"Nvidia- Overpriced, Overbearing, and Over Here" by Some-Guy-Who-Last-Upgraded-In-2007

"Intel Insidious Inside" - An ongoing monologue from FX owners arguing against having a viable corporate strategy.

"Apple (hard) Core" : Scenes from an internet mosh pit fuelled by anyone that has built their own computer rig.

Anyone who refers to themselves as a clown probably shouldn't be taken seriously.

havok585 havok585 said:

The most sane reply I've seen around here.

Windows 8 rocks! Love it. Works with a mouse, keyboard, touchscreen, voice recognition, reads all text for you if you want. Just a gorgeous and complete OS. You choose how you interact with Windows. Awesome! With Dell coming out with thier line of multipoint touchscreens for $250 a pop, I'm guessing more and more will go touch! My 2 year nephew loves Windows 8. The touch input expands the audience of Windows. I expect 15% marketshare by EOD.

James Dimitroff James Dimitroff said:

*****************

That is part of the problem Steve. Microsoft seems to think they can tell consumers what they want instead of listening to what they want. Windows 8 is not being bashed just because of a start button. They are putting a touch screen driven OS on existing desktops that do not support touch screen. Then telling them they have to use the keyboard to sort of get to what they want, though it is not the same. Sure the security and speed maybe much better. But if corporations don't want to fork out tons of money and time for training, it's not going to happen. Instead of telling the consumer what is best for them, maybe they should try listening to what they really want!

bexwhitt said:

I don't like the Modern UI and the other dumbing downs but with a few tweaks windows 8 is quick and very usable.

Tweaks I have done

re-enabled F8

Disabled the lock screen

The hack so you can have gadgets on the desktop

Startisback

T

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

Windows 7 with some tweaks and minor script patch can be faster TCP/IP like Windows 8. Really 7 doesn't have the tiles where 8 has both tiles and 7 with some tweaks to TCP/IP all dialog boxes have gone full graphical also gone is the little chimes and dings to smoother sounds effects for issues. To me Windows 7 is where I'll be for now. Even Corp America sticking is not installing Windows 7.

You have to buy new system going to be pushed with Windows 8 not Windows 7. If you have touch screen laptop then Windows 8 will be your friend. Of course Windows 7 can to touch but the interface is not so friendly.

Windows 8 is significantly faster than Windows 7.

The startup time is much faster on Windows 8.

Most games even get a small FPS boost in Windows 8.

How is exactly Windows 7 better than 8? Because of that rubbish start menu?

1 person liked this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

How is exactly Windows 7 better than 8? Because of that rubbish start menu?
No, because of the rubbish Start Screen. The Start Menu is not rubbish, it has been used for over 15 years. Why don't you wait till they engineer a replacement that works for everyone, before you try and discredit what has been working all along.

Why do I get the feeling the largest split between Windows 8 discussions, are a split between tablet and desktop users? While the rest probably doesn't care what Microsoft feeds them as long as it is change. Somehow I get the impression that forced change for the worst, is somehow seen as innovation regardless the cost.

I'm not going to start swiping 3 inch thumbnails, because some buffoon thought the same operating system UI could be used regardless the screen size.

For everyone that loves Windows 8, I envision you walking around wearing this.

Tonkaman Tonkaman said:

They did add most of that. In my experience Windows 8 is great for gaming. The multi-monitor support is vastly superior to anything before it. Finally a taskbar on each monitor, the ability to only have the open applications on a monitor show on that taskbar, stretch a large background image across all monitors. I love it. Also, the Pro version includes Client Hyper-V so you have the ability to run virtual desktops out of the box now too.