Grand Theft Auto V sales cross the $1 billion mark in just three days

By on September 20, 2013, 4:30 PM
call of duty, gta, sales, video game, gta 5, ghosts, grand theft auto v

Grand Theft Auto V is now the fastest-selling video game in history. Where it took the previous record-holder, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, a full 15 days to reach $1 billion in sales, GTA V needed just three days to pull off the same feat. Early estimates pin the game’s lifetime earnings at $1.4 billion but if the current momentum holds strong through the holiday season, we could be looking at the first ever $2 billion game.

Publisher Take-Two Interactive announced the milestone on Friday but it’s anyone’s guess as to how long the game will hold the record. That’s because a serious challenger, the latest installment in the Call of Duty franchise, is slated to drop later this holiday season.

Call of Duty games have created and broken the sales record several times over. The key difference between Call of Duty: Ghosts and GTA V is the number of systems the game will debut on. Where GTA V launched on the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360, Ghosts will be hitting those consoles along with the Wii U and the PC all on the same day. Not that it helps in this argument but the game will also be available on the PlayStation 4 come November 15 and the Xbox One on November 22.

GTA V could have no doubt reached the milestone even faster had they released a version for the PC alongside the 360 and PS3. There are currently no official plans for the PC or next generation consoles but they’d have to be crazy not to eventually port the game to these systems.

3 people like this | bob333 bob333 said:

For the millionth time, they would've crossed the $1 billion mark on FIRST DAY if they have also released the game for PC.

Nima304 said:

I don't think this record is going to be beat anytime soon.

Wtf!!! No big budget movie comes close!! !

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

That is huge! And it might be the first time that I've been interested enough in the franchise to consider buying a copy. I would just prefer that on PC.

Rasta211 said:

Congratulations on their success.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

No movies come close because if you think about it, a game costs 60USD where as a movie would be 12USD on average. That equates to less then 25% cost per unit for the movie.

The greatest accomplishment of feminism: Turn men into a bunch of jobless lady boy losers that play video games all day.

bwahahahahah

1 person liked this | soldier1969 soldier1969 said:

Not coming to PC then its a no buy and don't care, too busy playing Arma 3 and BF4 on PC next month to care anyhow.

My explanation is.......americans

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

My explanation is.......americans

Yeah because only Americans buy games right?

bwahahahahah

Yeah man you got it all figured!

learninmypc learninmypc said:

After seeing this

I want nothing to do with it.

Camikazi said:

My explanation is.......americans

Come on now your US hate is getting away with you, stores all over the U.K and other places were opening at midnight to allow earliest access and were packed. Hell the U.K. alone bought around 1.6 million copies on the first day, yet your response is "americans" how blind is your hipster hatred?

TitoBXNY TitoBXNY said:

It's actually a pretty good game regardless of platform. I do agree that It would had hit the billion faster if there was a pc version on day one.

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

They will probably make far less due to piracy. Honestly, I don't blame Rockstar.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

I don't think this record is going to be beat anytime soon.

I wouldn't hold my breath. This record will probably be history before we even wipe the crap from our eyes. They said the same about COD MW, COD BO/2, GTA IV and the list goes on...

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

After seeing this

I want nothing to do with it.

After seeing this

I want everything to do with it.

1 person liked this | Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Honestly, I do blame Rockstar. How much money is enough?

amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

After seeing this

I want nothing to do with it.

This is adult entertainment. GTA games are rated M and not made for 13 year old kids.

backo said:

bwahahahahah

Wow, you should really read up on what is feminism. Let me give you a hand, start here:

learninmypc learninmypc said:

I'm no where close to 13. I just don't believe in violence or guns.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

@ Skidmarksdelux : RockStar deserves all the success in the world. They actually spend years developing every detail in a game, unlike Activision rehashing the same game every year. Heck I remember a RockStar clip with employees arguing over whose tree was better. My only issue is having to wait for PC release on a series that began on PC. I remember wasting life away on GTA and London 1969/61, then GTA 2... It wasn't until Sony through heaps of cash at them for a PS2 exclusive (GTA 3).

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

After seeing this

I want nothing to do with it.

Maybe you're right. It's not as violent, crass and has the toilet humor I was hoping for.

That said, I'm still not gonna miss out on it if it comes to PC.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Me too. The GTA franchise has always been and will always be my favorite, even if it ceases to exist I'll always remember it with fondness and the hours, nay months I spent playing them all.

GTA V could have no doubt reached the milestone even faster had they released a version for the PC alongside the 360 and PS3. There are currently no official plans for the PC or next generation consoles but they'd have to be crazy not to eventually port the game to these systems.

The weird thing is that there is a petition to stop GTA V from coming to the PC

[link]

killeriii said:

I couldn't wait for the PC version, been playing it for 4 days now.

davislane1 davislane1 said:

GTA V could have no doubt reached the milestone even faster had they released a version for the PC alongside the 360 and PS3. There are currently no official plans for the PC or next generation consoles but they?d have to be crazy not to eventually port the game to these systems.

The weird thing is that there is a petition to stop GTA V from coming to the PC

[link]

10,000 examples of how vocal console gamers are just as daft and ignorant as their PC brethren.

Now, who wants to help me manipulate the BAWSAQ? I have a position in HAL that could have a pretty explosive upside if enough people jump on board.

Det Det said:

No no not at all. Piratism is ripping of game makers.

Yeah, it also would'e been the number one mounted iso of all time too LOL. Might break even starcraft's records

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I'm no where close to 13. I just don't believe in violence or guns.

Yes, it is a big myth in our society

2 people like this | GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

There's always going to be nay-sayers who are going to bring the game down no matter what. Its a fun game intended for Adults, its your choice to let someone below 17 play the game (Mostly aimed at parents).

I love the game series and they have tons of violence among other things, but in the end, there's always some hidden messages that bring the game full circle.

Breaking the 1billion dollar threshold does not surprise me, the game has so much hype and rockstar has such an Amazing reputation for games now that people flock to see what they come out with next!

Here's my opinion about GTA V ..

shut up and take my money!!

1 person liked this | 9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Well, I made the mistake of buying this game! I've never played any game in the GTA franchise before, never wanted to, but there were too many good reviews this time and too much hype for me to pass it up. I consider this a mistake because this game is insanely addictive. "Just one more mission..." right up to my alarm clock when I need to get up and go to work. But it's really fun and they nailed the freedom to do what you like in the open world with scripted events to drive the story forward.