Found: This robot solves a Rubik's Cube in the blink of an eye

By on October 1, 2013, 10:00 AM

I’ve never been any good at solving a Rubik’s Cube but I do know some people that are. During my last trip to cover the Consumer Electronics Show, I set up an impromptu face-off between the two gurus. It lasted about 20 some-odd seconds and that was that.

That said, neither of those guys would be any match for the robot used in the video you see above. This machine is able to solve the cube in about one second… well, sort of. I suppose the correct term would be that it can implement a solution in that amount of time as it actually takes a bit longer for the robot to scan the cube to work out the correct twists and turns necessary to match all sides.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

My best time was under 2 minutes. And I got lucky then.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Wow. I know it's simple algorithms to figure it out, but that's still pretty impressive.

p51d007 said:

The video didn't really show you the 4-5 minute setup. They sat it in front of a camera that took shots of all 6 sides first, which told the computer which motor to turn a certain way, but still pretty neat.

1 person liked this | Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Wow. What a wonderful robot to have if that's all it does. Just what I've always wanted.

The robot has 6 hands but the boy only 2.

Camikazi said:

It's the same thing that humans do we just do it faster but the robot can apply that solution faster. Give it time and robots will process images fast enough to do this faster than we can.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I've solved a few but never really comprehended the third layer sequences. All I could do was follow the sequences and hope for the best. lol

I'm going to question if the cube was actually solved or if the robot simply reversed the process of scrambling the cube. I would need to see them personally scramble a cube and then have the robot solve it.