New $100 bill full of security features goes into circulation today

By on October 8, 2013, 7:30 AM
money, counterfeit, bill, note, 100 bill, federal reserve, benjamin franklin

It’ll soon be harder than ever for criminals to produce counterfeit $100 bills. That’s because a redesigned Benjamin Franklin that’s been in production for quite some time is finally entering circulation today courtesy of the Federal Reserve Board – one of the few government agencies that wasn’t affected by the ongoing US government shutdown.

The Federal Reserve has been working on the redesign for more than 10 years. Described as the most complex bills the US has ever produced, the design was first unveiled in 2010 but delays kept it from reaching production until just recently. That’s unfortunate as the $100 bill is the most counterfeited note outside of the US, we’re told.

The new bills are equipped with a number of security features. Chief among them is a blue 3D security ribbon that will change from images of a bell to “100s” when moved. The ribbon is woven directly into the paper, not printed on it, which will make it easy for people to identify and verify but extremely difficult to replicate.

Other security features include a green bell inside a copper-colored inkwell on the front of the note. When the bill is handled, the bell will change from green to copper to match the inkwell.

Not all of the technology on the new currency is unique, however. Many features, including the portrait watermark, color-shifting 100, raised printing, security thread, gold 100 and serial numbers are all carried over from the old design with some receiving an update.

Expect to see the new bills surface in general circulation within a few weeks.




User Comments: 16

Got something to say? Post a comment
Guest said:

Unless they plan on removing every current "old" 100 dollar bill out of circulation simultaneously, and then deny people the ability to use them.....

What's to stop people forging the old bill and still using that?

Or did I miss something?

ghasmanjr ghasmanjr said:

Unless they plan on removing every current "old" 100 dollar bill out of circulation simultaneously, and then deny people the ability to use them.....

What's to stop people forging the old bill and still using that?

Or did I miss something?

How often do you see the old $20 bill from prior to about 2000? This will not really take full effect for about 10 years. Once it does, people will grow very suspicious if you use large quantities of the old bill for a transaction. Hell, if someone tried to pay me with 5 or more of the old $20 bill, I would probably not accept it unless they were an elderly person. The elderly like to keep their money in a shoebox instead of a for some reason.

MilwaukeeMike said:

Unless they plan on removing every current "old" 100 dollar bill out of circulation simultaneously, and then deny people the ability to use them.....

What's to stop people forging the old bill and still using that?

Or did I miss something?

I don't know about $100 bills, but in the discussion to remove the single dollar bill from circulation (and replace it with a longer lasting coin) it was said that a single only lasts a few months. $100's of course wouldn't be passed around nearly as much, but I don't think it'll take more than a few years for them to disappear. As they end up in banks, they'll be collected.

1 person liked this | LukeDJ LukeDJ said:

Meanwhile, in Australia......

treeski treeski said:

I don't know about $100 bills, but in the discussion to remove the single dollar bill from circulation (and replace it with a longer lasting coin)...

Man I wish this would finally happen...

MilwaukeeMike said:

Man I wish this would finally happen...

It would supposedly save like a few million bucks every year on the printing of the paper dollars, but unless they get rid of the penny at the same time it would screw up every cash drawer in the country. There's no spot for another coin.

Canada figured it out, you'd think the US could.... oh wait... we're too busy closing the ocean.

treeski treeski said:

It would supposedly save like a few million bucks every year on the printing of the paper dollars, but unless they get rid of the penny at the same time it would screw up every cash drawer in the country. There's no spot for another coin.

Just throw them in the same slot as the pennies. The size difference makes it easy to differentiate. Also... you can still pay with dollar coins, so what do cashiers do with them now?

p51d007 said:

I'm surprised that they didn't print them to look more like monopoly money, since that is about how much they are worth <G>

"Backed by the full faith and credit of the United States"...what a joke.

At least with the older gold certificates, they couldn't print paper money, unless they had the gold in the vaults to back it up. When we went off the gold standard in the 70's, it lead to a real explosion in the amount of debt the U.S. racked up.

The people who collect money will be in line early to hopefully snag one of the 000001 or so serial numbers.

Ranger1st Ranger1st said:

You'd be surprised how quickly the 1 and even 2 dollar coins just 'worked' here in Canada. We got rid of the penny just recently as well and you don't even notice it , except when you put your hand in a pocked full of coins and you don't have useless pennies. Only place I've notice that still use the penny is the gas pumps.

MilwaukeeMike said:

You'd be surprised how quickly the 1 and even 2 dollar coins just 'worked' here in Canada. We got rid of the penny just recently as well and you don't even notice it , except when you put your hand in a pocked full of coins and you don't have useless pennies. Only place I've notice that still use the penny is the gas pumps.

and with the dollar coins change is actually useful. In the US change is just something you get back from a cashier after buying something. Then it goes into a jar and you fish out the quarters for parking meters occasionally. In Canada a pocketful of change could have $5 in it easily. I like having change be more than just a nuisance.

Acespaces Acespaces said:

Aye at least we have a currency that everyone follows diligently unlike a third world country.

learninmypc learninmypc said:

Give it time, it'll be forged.

1 person liked this | tonylukac said:

"most counterfeited note outside of the US"

That's all the us ever seems to do is police the world. Why don't they save some of that $100 trillion deficit and worry about us. What did this cost to produce?

learninmypc learninmypc said:

"most counterfeited note outside of the US"

That's all the us ever seems to do is police the world. Why don't they save some of that $100 trillion deficit and worry about us. What did this cost to produce?

Good question.

Hasbean said:

"....Federal Reserve Board ? one of the few government agencies...."

Since when did it become a government agency? As far as I can tell the FR is a privately owned entity primarily under the control of the Rothschild Empire.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

"....Federal Reserve Board ? one of the few government agencies...."

Since when did it become a government agency?

I'm guessing since they labeled it "Federal". But then in all sincerity, I do agree with your insinuation. The Rothschilds and the Federal Reserve

Load all comments...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.