Rumor: Grand Theft Auto V coming to PC in Q1 2014

By on October 11, 2013, 7:30 AM
rumor, gta, pc gaming, gta 5, grand theft auto v, gta v

Yesterday, Eurogamer cited "multiple industry sources" in a report claiming that Grand Theft Auto V would be released on PC in the first quarter of 2014, adding more fuel to the rumor fire. PC gamers have been holidng out for the title ever since its console release on September 17, but so far there has been no official word from publisher Rockstar Games on the matter.

To have GTA V launch on PC at the start of next year would follow a trend that Rockstar established way back in 2001 with the launch of Grand Theft Auto III. Across III, Vice City, San Andreas and IV, the average time from console release to PC release for GTA games has been 212 days: if the trend continues, GTA V will be launched around April 17, 2014, which is three weeks after the end of Q1.

Both Nvidia and Intel have hinted at the inevitable PC release of Grand Theft Auto V. Nvidia's senior director of investor relations, Chris Evenden, accidentally mentioned the PC version of GTA V during an investor call, although the company later said it was mentioned in error. This week, Intel also stated that they didn't expect the game "be console exclusive very long", indicating they might know more than the rest of the public.

Whether GTA V lands on PC early next year or later down the track, it seems incredibly likely the game will be released on PC given the interest surrounding the title. A Change.org petition for a PC version has almost reached 600,000 signatures, which gives some indication into how successful the title could be if it is released.

3 people like this | Ranger12 Ranger12 said:

Weehooo! Take my money!

Hopefully the extra time is spent making it a proper PC game and not a crappy port!

t3chn0vamp said:

This is the first time when a rumor made my day and I am like GTA 5, Y U NO COME EARLY ??? lol

1 person liked this | Mooseinadesert Mooseinadesert said:

I'm actually disappointed. I was hoping to get it for Christmas. I hoped when they delayed it for a few months earlier this year it was because they were working on a PC port. Max Payne 3's port was amazing. Rockstar really disappointed me on this one..

2 people like this | backo said:

Considering the quality of the port of GTA IV, I will either pass or at least wait for a couple of months after release.

2 people like this | TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I'm with backo - the GTA IV port was AWFUL. I'll at least wait until the game is reasonably play-able (and on sale) before buying.

1 person liked this | Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

I'm patient, I'll wait for the port. I have to because I have absolutely no intention of throwing away money on a console.

1 person liked this | customcarvin customcarvin said:

Me three. Trying to play GTA IV on my i5-GTX680 is painful. 30fps is NOT an acceptable frame rate for pc gamers... I guess the didn't get the memo?

Chazz said:

I almost need this more than I need air.

IAMTHESTIG said:

I really hope it makes it to PC and actually plays decent. IV was a terrible port indeed, but after fiddling with settings and drivers for a few hours I finally got it to run well. While the game was somewhat repetitious that didn't stop from spending over 200 hours in the game.

tonylukac said:

What did I buy that $250 video card for if they aren't supporting pc games? This is crap. I had a premonition as the card blew out several years ago after a power failure and I'm happy I didn't buy a new one. Played star wars like crap too. By the way, the onboard video is going now. Amd/Nvidia good luck!

2 people like this | TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

I've never been much of a console gamer, I would appreciate them releasing a version for the PC. Honestly, I don't get why this has to even be an issue....

Release it on the Steam OS so I can play it on the Linux Steam client. :p