T-Mobile to eliminate grandfathered service plans starting in November

By on October 16, 2013, 10:30 AM
t-mobile, wireless provider, grandfathered plans, service plans

T-Mobile has been doing a lot to shake up the wireless industry this year but their latest decision will likely cause some unwanted ripples. The company recently confirmed intentions to do away with grandfathered plans starting next month.

Those with legacy plans will be moved to modern plans, Engadget has learned. Details are still scarce but a spokesperson told the publication that customers will be put on plans with similar or better features at comparable prices. A rumor surfaced last week that such pricing could start at $20 per month (T-Mobile’s current cheapest plan starts at $50) but that hasn’t been confirmed as of writing.

T-Mobile said maintaining thousands of rate plans is the norm in the industry but they believe it creates unnecessary complexity. Simple is better, they say, which is why they are getting rid of older plans in their system.

In a letter to a T-Mobile customer affected by the change, the company said they carefully selected a new plan and while they may pay more, they’ll continue to enjoy access to the latest smartphones as well as the company’s nationwide 4G network.

In the event a customer wishes to cancel their service, they may do so without penalty through February 1, 2014. That could be a quick way out of a contract if you’re affected by the changes and wish to move to a different carrier but given T-Mobile’s recent moves in the industry, they’re becoming more attractive now than ever.

psycros psycros said:

And now the other shoe drops. They were planning to kill *real* unlimited data the whole time. T-Mo's throttling kicks in at 500mb, too - that's worse than any other carrier I know of. Sprint's looking pretty good right about now.

mctommy said:

But sprint is by far the worst (of the big four) as far as coverage goes. I'm with AT&T right now and still under contract but will make my decision when the time comes, either stay with AT&T or move over to T-Mobile.

psycros psycros said:

I did a bit more exploration and it seems T-Mo does offer a truly unlimited data plan for $70 that's never throttled (or so they claim). If they had coverage where I live I'd definitely give it a try.

JC713 JC713 said:

What is the point of being grandfather in if they are going to be eliminated at one point? Dont grandfather in at all since tech is always improving and will have its limits (like 4G/LTE and unlimited data).

I've been using this truly unlimited plan for almost a year now, and it's great. Have hit above 50GBs a couple times in a month, and no complaints. Coverage is still inferior to Verizon.

Camikazi said:

This is not good, if it goes through then Verizon might get ideas about getting rid of my grandfathered in unlimited account

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

I figure it's probably a matter of time before AT&T starts doing the same, and I loose my unlimited data plan. Bummer... anything I can do about it? Probably not if I want to stay with AT&T.

mctommy said:

You were grandfathered until now.

I know maybe 1 person still on a plan that is almost 10-years old... I guess the old fart will be moving to a new plan.

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

Simple is better, especially when we can do so while screwing our customers and make $30 more a month for the same plan =) Currently a tmobile customer, awaiting my contract to expire to get as far away from them as possible, avoid them at all cost!

RubinOnRye RubinOnRye said:

I am currently on that plan and I use about 120GBs a month and have never been throttled.

matrix86 matrix86 said:

Hi, I'm the kid in the corner wearing the dunce hat. Can anyone explain what a "grandfathered plan" is and what it means when they say they are getting rid of it?

I'm currently on T-Mobile, and am in a family plan. 700 minutes, unlimited texting and web (up to 5GB which is fine as neither of us on the plan has ever gone over 2GB individually), all for $144 a month (though I do get a discount because of work).

Although we do plan to split and have our own accounts and be on individual plans, I'm still wondering what exactly all this means. Thank you to whoever takes the time to dumb down an explanation for me. I'll be over here drooling on myself in the corner waiting for you while I pet the wall and talk about how pretty it is :P

Camikazi said:

Grandfathered in plans are older plans no longer given out to new customers that might have better prices or no caps. My plan, for example, is an unlimited data 4G Verizon plan which they stopped giving out long ago but since I was already on the plan when they got rid of the option I was allowed to keep it as long as I don't make changes to my plan. I can still upgrade my phone I just can't use their discounted prices or their site, I would have to buy my own phone for full price (or buy used cheaper one) and add it to my account. If I make any change like more texts or more minutes I would lose my unlimited data plan and be put on one of their new limited data plans.