Malware Alert: Downloading the "GTA V PC torrent" is 18GB worth of bad ideas

By Owen Good on October 22, 2013, 3:15 PM
download, torrent, malware, gta, virus, kotaku, gta 5

About the only thing I can see that's wrong with this diabolical plot is the fact suckers have to download an 18GB torrent before the malware is unleashed. Otherwise, there's a bogus torrent of Grand Theft Auto V's nonexistent PC version that's claimed several victims of late.P

It bears mentioning one should not download this. But as none of us would ever do something this dumb, it's fun to have a laugh, right? The site WCCFTech reports that the thing comes with a legit-looking installer and a realistic 18 GB setup file. Once a user gets to the registration window, users are sent to a page where they are forced to perform surveys in order to get the key.P

Malware that exploits a popular game is a time-honored trick, even if the game hasn't been released yet. (Google Titanfall PC Torrent and you'll get rickrolled). This one sticks out because of the effort victims have to put forth in getting the malware. Cognitive dissonance up the wazzoo, I guess, is why they do it. You google "GTA V PC Torrent" and you find sites with people complaining about slow download speeds in the comments. This thing even has a Facebook page, which went up on August 1. Seems legit.P

While everyone is speculating that a GTA V version for PC is a matter of when, not if, for now such a thing exists only in the minds of half-a-zillion petition signers.

Republished with permission.

3 people like this | TechGamer TechGamer said:

Basicly every poor guy who has been waiting for gta v and tried to pirate it has a pc full of viruses means that 75% of the pc gamers are infected?

3 people like this | davislane1 davislane1 said:

Am I the only one who thinks ransomware would have been more befitting a faux GTAV torrent?

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I know better than to try pirating a game. They are in my opinion one of the most targeted types of applications for Mal-ware. Pirating software is a game all in itself. I think some people pirate, just to see if they can without getting infected.

I don't agree with infesting all software for baiting pirates, because it has a way of burning the innocent. I do however get a kick out of hearing stories of people that are pissed about getting infected, when they knew all along it was highly possible and could have been avoided.

Sometimes I think the studios should create ransom-ware. Anyone caught illegally downloading software, needs their PC locked down until they pay for the said software.

t3chn0vamp said:

Wow ! 18 GB download just to get a malware ! lol thats some funny shit !!! lmao

1 person liked this | amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

This kind of thing has been happening for years now, even the FBI admitted to using malware to trace goonies. However, they still won't catch a skilled technician.

tomkaten tomkaten said:

Sorry, but that's simply not true. I've been downloading games left and right until a couple of years ago and no malware got into my system. Ever. I mean sure, if you're the kind of genius that downloads games that aren't yet available on that platform, your fate's well deserved.

You probably say it because you've been the victim of all the scaremongering the producers employ or perhaps cause most Antivirus software tends to mark them as dangerous, but I've launched them all and they were all false positives.

I have the utmost respect for these game companies and I've since abandoned such practices, but at that time I simply couldn't afford any of this stuff. And I know that's no excuse, but that's an entirely different conversation.

1 person liked this | H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

No, it seems that only the ''Idi.ots'' would fall for this.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

That doesn't mean they are not the most targeted, beside I said it was my opinion which is true. Which leads me to the question of asking you which software you think is the most targeted since you seam to think games are not.

1 person liked this | TheBigFatClown said:

I bought GTA IV:San Andreas(I think thats version 4) and have never even played it. Haven't even installed it. I still believe in the philosophy of being late to the party so that I don't have to endure the pain that most others are willing to bear for my sake by being early adopters.

My comments apply more to the guinea pigs who are helping to make Windows 8 a better operating system while I just chill. Hopefully, Windows 9 will be worth installing.

But to get back to the topic. I have been around long enough now to know that there is no reason to pirate anymore. Patience rewards those who can exercise it properly.

Although,

Just to play devils advocate for a moment my philosophy doesn't seem to be doing so well when it comes to the cost of dual-layer BD-R. Not sure why they are still 6x the cost a single layer BD-R when they should only be 2x the cost as a single layer BD-r. I guess it's either because people are buying them in droves at those prices or because they are not buying them at all at those prices so the manufacturers have to charge more money.

If my post sounds confusing don't feel bad. It's confusing to me too.

tomkaten tomkaten said:

Well. I wouldn't know I used to get some games and some apps (mostly the car-priced ones, Photoshop wink wink) and nothing ever happened. Almost every comments section associated with said downloads contained some virus/trojan alert messages from users, but as I said, they were never true.

I don't condone such practices, but it's my belief that false AV positives are the ones that spread the fear.

If it's not in steam, im not getting any.

Lionvibez said:

Pretty funny story!!

And even funnier for the guys will small data caps and slow internet that probably spent the whole day downloading this.

Granted something like this will only catch Casual pirates anyone that knows there stuff wouldn't have touched this.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

If it's not in steam, im not getting any.

Damn, that's a lot of occasions where you're not 'gettin some'.

hitech0101 said:

Never had such a issue with torrents always check comments/uploader reputation before downloading

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Although,

If my post sounds confusing don't feel bad. It's confusing to me too.

San Andreas was an extension of GTA 3, I think.

Sniped_Ash said:

No, remember what Ubisoft said? It's more like 90% of PC gamers are pirates!

TechGamer TechGamer said:

No, remember what Ubisoft said? It's more like 90% of PC gamers are pirates!

:o the higher then number gets the funnier it becomes lol

No, remember what Ubisoft said? It's more like 90% of PC gamers are pirates!

-- I admit I am one of those 90% too.. in my lifetime, I only bought 1 legit game, it was L4D2 on steam.. and GTA 5 was about to be my 2nd legit game,, too bad its taking so long. I guess Rockstar doesnt want my money. :)

Lionvibez said:

No, remember what Ubisoft said? It's more like 90% of PC gamers are pirates!

what nonsense are you talking about did you see how much money they have made on the game already. It has broke many records you being cheap has nothing to do with them not wanting money.

For the 5 years it took them to create that game you should be buying it.

1 person liked this | St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

For the 5 years it took them to create that game you should be buying it.

Or, it's just now out on PC yet. :P

TheBigFatClown said:

For the 5 years it took them to create that game you should be buying it.

He shouldn't be pirating it thats for sure. But he could kick back and chill for a year or so until the price comes down. And then buy it. In meantime he could be playing GTA III or IV or San Andreas if he hasn't already played those. Plenty of cheap games these days that are of high quality on Steam. No need to pirate anymore. Valve is the only who gets it. People want to buy software when the price is right. I think most people want to do the right thing. But when games cost $60.00 a pop its hard for a lot of folks to justify that. I think it all works out in the end. People who cannot wait shell out the big bucks and the people who have patience get the same thing for a much cheaper price in a year or so. If I can wait a year for a game, I can wait 2 years for a game. And everybody goes home a winner.

For the 5 years it took them to create that game you should be buying it.

I know how much money they already made (excluding PC sales)..

and I didn't said I was not going to buy it, my previous comment was meant to be "waiting for PC version (Steam)".

I was wondering if I was the only one with the common sense to do that