This camera records at one trillion FPS and can capture moving light

By on November 5, 2013, 7:00 AM

Did you know that there exists a camera that can capture one trillion frames per second and is fast enough to capture moving light? Me neither, but apparently it’s been around for nearly two years and was created in the MIT Media Lab.

The video embedded above demonstrates how the camera is able to capture photos moving through space. As the narrator describes, you’ve probably seen images of a bullet traveling through an apple. Photons move about a million times faster than bullets, so capturing them is no easy feat.

This kind of technology could be useful in medical imaging, industrial or scientific use and perhaps even one day, consumer photography.

Actually, I had heard of it already...

[link]

There's a few more words there you can use for the article too ;)

2 people like this | p3ngwin said:

"The video embedded above demonstrates how the camera is able to capture PHOTOS moving through space. As the narrator describes, you?ve probably seen images of a bullet traveling through an apple. PHOTOS move about a million times faster than bullets, so capturing them is no easy feat."

photos?

can't believe you mistyped PHOTONS twice, consistently

Arris Arris said:

Photons rather than "photos".

1 person liked this | MilwaukeeMike said:

I don't get it. In order to see something a photon needs to enter your eye. In order to take a picture of something a photon needs to enter the lens and be recorded. So how could you possibly take a picture of a photon moving? That's sort of impossible by definition isn't it?

Steveb8189 Steveb8189 said:

Well the camera is taking a photo of the photon bouncing off an object.

More information here

[link]

Last time techspot posted this video :)

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

Well the camera is taking a photo of the photon bouncing off an object.

More information here

[link]

Last time techspot posted this video

Oh, wow. That's embarrassing. I first read it here:

[link]

And please fix your photo/photon mistakes...

mikeusru said:

You're right - the camera doesn't record photons, but the scatter from light which occurs when it hits objects (read: that plastic coke bottle). The term photons is also misleading here, since even though it's true, you can see that the pulse of light is quite large, many magnitudes higher than a single photon (which allows all the scattering).

MID.AS MID.AS said:

PHOTONS!! Not "Photos"

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Yeah you have a point there. That's the way I understand it. Then again I didn't attend MIT.

1 person liked this | Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

If I were to ever buy $1000 AMD or Nvidia GFX card, that's the kind of FPS I'd expect at 4k for my money.

ikesmasher said:

Its capturing the reflection of light off of objects into the camera lens.

Raoul Duke Raoul Duke said:

Damn straight!!

Video uploaded on Dec 28, 2011, that was two years ago. Better late than never I guess.

Raoul Duke Raoul Duke said:

LOL

I hate when that happens, you see someone that needs help listed on the main web page, click, and find out it is years old. WTF

1 person liked this | Guest said:

I like taking photos of photos. Then I take phots of them.