Weekend Open Forum: What are your most anticipated games of 2014?

By on January 10, 2014, 6:45 PM
pc gaming, 2014, thief, the witcher 3, hotline miami 2

With the release of the new consoles behind us for the most part, its time to look forward at what we know so far about this year's game releases. As I've mentioned on WOF before, I am a fan of the stealth genre and had a lot of fun getting caught up with Splinter Cell: Blacklist over the holidays (a nice return to form IMO). So naturally it's the next sneaking experiences I have my eye on, for example, the new Thief game.

While initial impressions on Thief have been mixed, Blacklist seemed to muster up a similar lack-luster pre-release response and I turned out to be more than pleasantly surprised with the game once I went hands on. So I am hoping the capable folks at Eidos Montreal pull through much the way the company did with Human Revolution.

Outside of Thief, the newly revealed Alien: Isolation has me intrigued and I'll definitely play Hotline Miami 2 when it drops, but The Witcher 3 looks incredible. Unfortunately, I have to admit, I have never played a Witcher game before (embarrassing, I know), but I'm seriously looking forward to Wild Hunt. The Order: 1886 looks like it has an interesting setting, but something about it still has me skeptical. So for this week's open forum we want to know what games you are most looking forward to? Have the indies won you over yet or will the AAA titles take up most of your time?

2 people like this |
Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

Duke Nukem Forever!... wait...

1 person liked this | ikesmasher said:

Destiny. Call me old fashioned.

Tye Lucas Tye Lucas said:

The Division looks amazing if they can pull it off in 2014, I suspect it will be pushed into 2015 though. Thief of course and also Elder Scrolls Online which I am hoping will be good when its done!

First of all, it isn't a game but TechSpot's Most Anticipated PC Games of 2014.

Second is Fallout, just hope it doesn't come with subpar texture nor characters animations

#3 and New Vegas were great games but the characters were awkward

Dreamfall, I loved The Longest Journey

Prey 2, but I'm worried about what might come

Mirror's Edge, don't known when it'll come but have to be great

Watchdogs looks good let's see

and Julio don't forget of Daikatana II, it'll rock

2 people like this | howzz1854 said:

Is there a list of games that are slated for this year? cause I haven't been paying attention.

Ranger12 Ranger12 said:

Same here. Guess I am getting old. Use to know all the games coming out. Now the only one I recognize is Destiny and I didn't know when it was coming out.

trparky said:

Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls

TitoBXNY TitoBXNY said:

D3: Reaper of Souls, Watchdogs,Elder Scrolls Online, The Witcher 3, Grim Dawn, Thief.

Defense Grid 2

5 people like this | noel24 said:

GTA5? But the real one, with support for mouse and keyboard (no need for auto aiming) and better graphics. You know which I'm talking? PC one.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Elder Scrolls Online (haven't played an MMO in years - ready to try one again) and Fallout 4 - if it comes out this year.

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I hope to see the alpha and the beginning of beta for Star Citizen. Technically the single player campaign will be out during/between alpha and beta so I think that counts. =p

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Uhhhh

mainly gta5 and thief which I preordered since it came with the gpu.

btw gta5 is coming to pc in March

2 people like this | hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

GTA V and Watchdogs.

Blue Falcon said:

14 March - Titanfall (360/XO/PC)

14 March - Dark Souls II (360/PS3/PC)

Q2 - Watch Dogs (360/PS3/Wii U/XO/PS4/PC)

9 September - Destiny (XO/PS4/PC)

Q3 - The Order: 1886 (PS4)

Q4 - The Division (XO/PS4/PC) <--- IIRC, this is going to be a 2015 title

My most anticipated

2014 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (XO/PS4/PC)

Used this list as a reference:

[link]

The Witcher 3 of course!

2 people like this | Guest said:

PC version of GTA V.

Cycloid Torus Cycloid Torus said:

While most of the marketing for the newest, most spectacular, most excellent, most wonderful is bombast and blither, I will admit to some interest in Fallout 4 and possibly Thief. Being an 'Older Gamer' I find that I wait on reviews and, if there is 'action' in the game which far surpasses my synapse lag, I look for the capability to cheat in order to get through the impossible stuff (tgm in Skyrim).

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

1. Watchdogs

2. Destiny

3. GTA 5 for PC

4. Witcher 3

5. Elder Scrolls Online

Possibly:

1. The Division

2. Fallout 4

To be honest though, GTA 5 on PC is what I'm looking forward to the most I have it on PS3 and as much as I enjoy it, multiplayer isn't very good and driving fast causing it to lag up is annoying, same as the 360 version except much blurry textures which kinda throws you out the experience a bit.

Even though it's a console only thing, Destiny I'm very excited for and would be the reason I buy a PS4, Bungie have never let me down (except for ODST but firefight was a slice of genius) so my expectations are relatively high for this.

Last one I'm really excited about is Witcher 3, I haven't played the first one but I completed the second one and loved it

EDIT: My ONE thing I would like though is a FIXED Battlefield 4

Experimentongod said:

I still have a dencet backlog and I haven't even bought all the good games from 2013 yet, so I'm not looking forward to anything really :P.

1 person liked this | Blakey Blakey said:

1. Elder Scrolls Online, after playing this weekend beta its even better than I expected.

2. Thief, quite enjoy sneaky games and this one looks stunning.

3. GTA 5 for PC, refused to play it till it comes to PC consoles don't do it justice.

4. A Battlefield 4 fix? still to broken

Prosercunus said:

Witcher 3 is the only game I am counting on to impress me. Plenty of the usual suspects that people have already posted, but those are all wait and see.

2 people like this | mrtraver said:

I got these from here: [link]

Elite: Dangerous

Star Citizen

Star Wars: Battlefront

Starlight Inception

Wings of Saint Nazaire

Starpoint Gemini 2

Titanfall

(are you seeing a theme here?)

Carmageddon: Reincarnation

March of War

mls067 mls067 said:

Everquest Next/Landmark

spectrenad said:

1. Witcher 3

2. Witcher 3

3. Watch Dogs

4. Thief (the first 2 were awesome, the 3rd one soso, and so far, the 4th one looks bad, but I still have hope)

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeros is pretty much the only one I'm waiting for.

Guest17 said:

1. Odds 'N Evens

2. Ticktacktoe

3. Tag! You're It

4. Hangman's Noose

5. Mumbly Peg

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I'm waiting mainly for Android games or Android versions of existing games at this point:

Broken Age

Broken Sword: The Serpent's Curse

Paper Sorcerer

Deus Ex: The Fall

Rival Threads : Last Class Heroes

A version of Shadowrun Returns with real saves

A Detective Grimoire version with fewer bugs

On the PC side I'm waiting for:

Tesla Effect

Gabriel Knight 1 remake

Wasteland 2

Various other Kickstarter projects (Shadowrun Online, Spate, Shadowgate, Mage's Initiation, ...)

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

GTA V on PC only. No other game interests me. I use to buy about 5-6 PC games annually. Over the last 3 years I've bought a grand total of 3. I way overspent on my GFX card.

Mount & Blade 2 hopefully...

Forg0t2 said:

Hmmm, Titanfall atm. If the Division would make it in 2014 I would say The division as well but that's not going to happen. And I hope DICE will create some good and usefull updates to BF4 because it is still a disaster. For Wii U I'm looking forward to mario Kart 8,...

rwburnham rwburnham said:

EverQuest Next seems to be one of the most interesting MMOs to come along in awhile. EQII was my longest running MMO. The folks at SOE know how to give an MMO enough depth to keep things interesting. Sadly, most other MMOs burn out too fast. I hope SOE makes this one great, because I have not been able to find an MMO since EQII that can hold my attention for more than a couple of months.

Kingdom Hearts III is another title that I am keeping my eye on, since I really enjoyed the original.

Draconian said:

For PC games....

I was hoping Mafia 3 would see a 2014 release, but that's looking unlikely since the game hasn't even been publicly announced. It was originally intended to be a PS4 / Xbox One launch title.

I was looking forward to Elder Scrolls Online until I read that it won't have player housing. Pass.

What does that leave for PC games? Grand Theft Auto 5 and Watch Dogs

Draconian said:

What card is that?

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

What card is that?

My PC specs are listed in my profile.