Google's new data compression for Chrome mobile saves up to 50% on data usage

By on January 16, 2014, 3:30 PM

Mobile browsing has risen in popularity over the years and is continuing to do so while bandwidth remains generally the same. In order to lend a hand to those on limited plans, Google is introducing a new feature to its Chrome browser that it says will save bandwidth significantly.

The company is releasing an updated version of its Chrome mobile browser with an optional data compression feature that it claims will bring data usage down by as much as 50%.

The data compression feature also comes with Chrome safe browsing, which protects users from malicious software and downloads. You can access the new feature by heading to your Bandwidth management section in Settings, then to Reduce data usage.

The data compression feature was originally announced in beta form nearly a year ago, and this is not the first time we have seen technology of this kind. Data compression tech has been implemented into other browsers like Opera and on Amazon's Kindle Fire.

The Chrome update has a few other new features, like the ability to save website shortcuts onto the home-screen. The links take a similar form as other Android apps, and in some cases will launch in full-screen while running in tandem with native apps, according to reports.

While the Chrome Android and desktop versions already included the feature, the update also allows iOS users to make use of Google Translate directly in the browser.

ikesmasher said:

In an ideal world, you wouldnt need to worry about how much data you were using wiithout paying upwards of $100...

JC713 JC713 said:

Eh the update hasnt landed on iOS yet.

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

Finally. I had to use Opera Mini in the past to get compression. 1GB doesn't last long without it.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Eh the update hasnt landed on iOS yet.

So use Safari.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Handy for those that use the internet while using mobile data but something I avoid at all cost because that's exactly what it does, cost, and unnecessarily so.

Capaill said:

Wow, ye are really hammering that first paragraph home

Yes, this feature has been on Opera's mobile browser for a long time. Although I don't bother enabling it as I do most of my surfing on my home wifi.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

Wow, ye are really hammering that first paragraph home

It used to be (not sure after the switch to webkit) on their desktop browser too. I used it some when my parents had dial up. It always said it was saving me bandwidth, but with dialup being so slow I didn't notice much difference.

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I wonder if this helps performance as well? Compression might improve download speeds.

JC713 JC713 said:

So use Safari.

I do.

Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

Getting 44% according to the readout for the last few days since seeing this post. One catch was I had to force kill my Chrome after updating to use the new version.