Google Street View gets a personal escort around the Top Gear test track from the Stig

By on January 23, 2014, 4:30 PM
google, street view, google street view, found, top gear, stig

While most may never get an opportunity to take a spin around the infamous Top Gear test track in the UK, Google’s Street View car recently made some laps and we’ve been invited along for the ride. To sweeten the deal even more, the Stig plays host as your personal escort… that is, until he gets bored and puts the throttle down in his white Mercedes SLS AMG Black.

If you aren’t a gearhead, there isn’t really much for you to see here. But fans of the iconic BBC series will no doubt appreciate the intimate look at the airstrip-turned-test track. Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the parking lot for a little ‘behind the scenes’ action.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

davislane1 davislane1 said:

Now the only question is who has the fastest lap time in Google Earth.

fimbles fimbles said:

Top gear is awesome, The bbc however is a big pile of pedophile protecting Corporate puppets, Who force the public to pay a license fee and then sell the products made at a profit.

3 people like this | Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

@fimbles

Their business practices aside, I wouldn't be inclined to label everyone working for bbc as 'pedophile'. Wrongs of few can't be blamed on all.

1 person liked this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Just think how much sooner Google Maps would have been available, if the other car had been used to tour the world.

1 person liked this | Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

@cliffordcooley

Some say he has profound dislike for Google's shenanigans when it comes to privacy. So it may yhave resulted in him driving Google SV car deliberately into nearest ditch.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

And just imagine how expensive it would be especially after replacing the cars rubber after after every few Km's.

IAMTHESTIG said:

That was fun I must say. Now my drifting skills are all over Google. I think that means I win.

davislane1 davislane1 said:

No time, no trophy.

Kevin82485 Kevin82485 said:

I hate to be a grammar Nazi, but I don't like the use of the word "infamous" to describe the Top Gear test track. Infamous is used to describe something that has a bad reputation. There is nothing inherently bad about the Top Gear test track. It is famous, not infamous. Too often that word is misused.

IAMTHESTIG said:

No time, no trophy.

Drifting isn't about time my friend...

davislane1 davislane1 said:

I know drifting isn't about time; in fact, it's the slowest way around a track. However, because drifting in Google Earth is incredibly easy, the only way you can be the winner is to have the fastest perfect drift.

So, I say again: No time, no trophy. :P

mailpup mailpup said:

Kevin, if misused words bother you, reading various comments in these forums will blow you away.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

A few more of my comments and we will never hear from Kevin again. Sorry Kevin, I try not to, but unfortunately I misuse words all the time.

JC713 JC713 said: