CyberpowerPC's tiny gaming desktop packs high-end hardware

By on January 29, 2014, 7:45 AM

Steam Machines are set to be all the rage this year, but if you'd prefer to purchase a normal gaming desktop instead, perhaps CyberpowerPC's Zeus Mini will entice you. The pre-built system is a small form factor (SFF) desktop with a Mini ITX motherboard inside, but don't let this fool you, as the top-end options pack some serious power.

The chassis for the Zeus mini is 11.2 cm wide, 33 cm tall and 44 cm deep, making its overall profile slightly larger (and a bit deeper) than Microsoft's Xbox One. CyberpowerPC claims the chassis comes with "extreme cooling performance", as it's actually possible to slot a 240mm closed-loop liquid cooling solution into the body.

The basic Zeus Mini system, which will set you back $599, comes with a 3.7 GHz AMD 'Kaveri' A10-7850K APU, utilizing the chip's integrated graphics for gaming, plus 8 GB of DDR3 RAM, a 500 GB hard drive and Windows 8.1 installed out of the box. The $1479 top-end system, on the other hand, is powered by an Intel 'Haswell' Core i7-4770K CPU, Nvidia GTX 780 GPU, 16 GB of RAM, and a 2 TB hard drive.

CyberpowerPC has even factored in the PC buyers who love to tinker and upgrade their systems: the Zeus Mini is completely upgradeable thanks to its use of standard PC parts. Everything from the CPU and GPU to the off-the-shelf mini-ITX motherboard and PSU can be swapped out later if you'd like to get more performance down the track.

Zeus Mini systems are set to ship on February 11, so head over to CyberpowerPC's website if you'd like to place an order.

Forg0t2 said:

Hmm interesting. The first Console like PC I see that is more "normally priced". I'm still convinced that building it yourself is the cheapest way. I'm also not a huge fan of liquid cooling as it is applied so I would probably want to build my own case in these situations.

hopgop1 hopgop1 said:

Very cool but I'm surprised they didn't use a modular power supply and ship the extra cables with it to save room inside.

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Ah damn it all, I'm trying real hard to get my heart set on building an ATX sized computer later this year for Star Citizen, but companies keep on coming out with interesting SFF cases (or finding really impressive mods of some of my preferred SFF and m-ITX towers cases)! And the price honestly is not that bad at all.

Kudos to Cyberpower for using all standard parts and looking at the case, it does not look difficult (to me) to tinker with.

GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

The price points are not bad even at the top end system. To get a 4770k and a GTX 780 in a tight system for around 1400 pre-built is actually a decent price. Im sure you could still build one yourself and save some money but of course that's a decent price for anyone who does not take the route many of us here do.

lipe123 said:

You will be very hard pressed to build the $599 model cheaper yourself.

Thats a really good price for the package, especially if it comes with the closed loop cooler.

Not sure why they made the pipes from the pump/cpu block face downward doing that sharp bend when you can just rotate it so they face upward toward the radiator.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

$599 can't be had cheaper? It doesn't even have a graphics card! The top end system is more value.

Forg0t2 said:

"comes with a 3.7 GHz AMD 'Kaveri' A10-7850K APU, utilizing the chip's integrated graphics for gaming, plus 8 GB of DDR3 RAM, a 500 GB hard drive and Windows 8.1 installed out of the box."

I don't know but what I read about the Kaveri APU is that it shows good performance on games.... So I think the price is still right...

Codehackerzane Codehackerzane said:

Serious gamers use desktops not laptops. XD