PlayStation 4 outsold Xbox One by nearly double last month

By on February 14, 2014, 2:30 PM
sony, gaming, playstation 4, xbox one, console sales

Sony is off to a solid start in 2014 as January sales of the PlayStation 4 were nearly double those of Microsoft’s next generation Xbox One according to the latest report from research firm NPD Group. It’s unclear exactly how many consoles were sold during the month, however.

Conversely, Microsoft took the top spot in terms of overall game sales but it’s worth pointing out that this includes Xbox One and Xbox 360 sales. Narrowed down to include Xbox One games only, Sony topped Microsoft in all of the bestselling games except for Call of Duty: Ghosts and Lego Marvel Super Heroes.

The two consoles launched within a week of each other late last year, just in time for the holiday buying season. The software lineup for each console was limited at launch with very few exclusives to sway buyers one way or another, something that’ll change pretty soon starting with the highly anticipated release of Titanfall in March.

Microsoft isn’t exactly hurting for hardware sales, however, as the company recently said their new console is selling 2.29 times faster than its predecessor during the same time span. At that rate, the Xbox One could go on to become Microsoft’s best selling console ever.

Regardless of which camp you support, it’s good news for gamers and the market in general. Blockbuster titles like the aforementioned Titanfall, Destiny, The Crew and Watch Dogs are all slated for a 2014 release as well which will no doubt drive console sales even higher.

3 people like this | amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

The Xbox One has too many strings attached and Microsoft continue to think they will get away with it. Overtime the better console will reveal itself and eventually I will get one... A PS4.

Flame suite engaged.

5 people like this | MilwaukeeMike said:

Regardless of which camp you support...

What if you support neither camp? I get it that many who own a new console argue it's the best to justify their purchase, but for the rest of us it's like watching a coupla farm boys argue Ford F150 vs Chevy Silverado.

1 person liked this | Timonius Timonius said:

Regardless of which camp you support...

...and then the PC gamer crowd pipes in...

I don't care about the overpriced consoles and their exclusives...got plenty to play on PC and it's got a better backwards compatibility track record.

Gamesinner said:

There's no reason to be in a hurry to purchase either console right now. In a year or so when there are some good used games to buy at a discount then I'll probably buy a PS4. At one hundred dollars cheaper with slightly more powerful graphics I think it's going to be a winner.

3 people like this | GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

I find it ironic that many peoples argument is "The Xbox ONE has more strings attached" when in reality Sony nonchalantly slipped in the terms and conditions all the things people protested Microsoft from doing and more where as Microsoft removed them all (Like the whole DRM policy for instance). This is what happens when people don't read the terms and conditions or just take things at face value.

Either way, neither console has enough games to really be justified yet. When games start coming out things will of course get better but as it is neither has enough games to justify the purchase.

shamus087 said:

I saw this happening. As soon as M$ revealed their draconian policies I knew for certain that this race was basically already decided. Then Sony Confirmed it with the policies and Price.

You can see where each company has its priorities. Sony, Gaming, Developers, You/me, entertainment in general. M$, it's self, Sports, Entertainment center, Kinect, killing used games, Lame policies, you/me.

I just can't risk it with them trying to renig on those old ideas. Sony has been straight forward.

davislane1 davislane1 said:

I'm still waiting for Sony, Microsoft or the media to tell me why I should care about unit sales.

ikesmasher said:

the only explanation I can think of is that it points out where the market is headed. Increasing console/smartphone sales + decreasing PC sales. And even thats a weak explanation.

1 person liked this | GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

Guessing you have never read the Sony PS4 terms of service.

Quoted from Section 7.1 of Sony Terms of Service:

"You must not resell either Disc-based Software or Software Downloads, unless expressly authorized by us and, if the publisher is another company, additionally by the publisher."

Yea Microsoft is the one with "Draconian Policies"...

BlueDrake said:

Most likely just to get the console fanboys riled up, because you can then brag about the console you back. It's just a silly waste of time honestly, but it's to feed into the fans. Also be nice if they considered Nintendo, but we all know it's a struggling console without some game support. Yes I already know from the Nintendo Direct, what's coming for the console and hope it helps boost some sales.

JC713 JC713 said:

This is no surprise.

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

That's very true GhostRyder. I don't see why anyone would pick a side this early, with either of the players in this game. As for the PS4 taking a lead I'm guessing the prices of each system has more impact, than corporation history or the perceptions of "strings attached." Console system typically fall down in price shortly after launch and consumers want to lose the least dollar on their purchases. With $100 difference at the starting line is nearly putting two games into the hands of a PS4 gamer, and not exactly an advantage for the Xbox One.

wastedkill said:

Guessing you have never read the Sony PS4 terms of service.

Quoted from Section 7.1 of Sony Terms of Service:

Yea Microsoft is the one with "Draconian Policies"...

It is in the terms of service but I cant see anywhere saying you will be fined/banned/etc. if you do so, microsoft went out in public with it not sony so there for sony is still in the good books plus sony dont have a spy cam thats non-optional.

Prosercunus said:

As a PC Gamer the Wii U was actually my purchase of choice and offered the most unique experience in contrast to my PC. If I was a console gamer primarily I would have definitely went with the PS4 and I will probably even buy one 1-2 years down the road.

Mikymjr Mikymjr said:

@GhostRider- I don't think they mean any harm from telling you not to resell the games. It's only about someone byuing and then reselling that game they express their concern. They didn't tell you that you can't lend it to a friend. And why would you sell it to a friend, when you can just lend it to him in the first place? That policy protects the developers of that game from losing out on their payment if you think about it. Someone worked hard to develop something and needs to get something in return right?

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Didn't I read somewhere that the PS4 was available to a larger user base? Anyway following all the PS4 vs XB1 topics, I'm not surprised PS4 has sold more. It was available first, and still cost less.

2 people like this | GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

First of all it does not matter because its not in the Xbox ONES terms of service while it is in the PS4's. So neither console does it right now but Sony has said they have the right to and Xbox has not since they retracted their statement. Sony on the other hand had the exact same policy on the PS4 from the factory, that update you do on the day 1 removes it the same as on the Xbox ONE. The only major difference is Sony is sneaking it in and hiding this fact while Microsoft was open about it.

on the SpyCam part...yea because those microsoft Execs want to stare at you while your playing a video game for hours on end. You've caught onto the master plan...

davislane1 davislane1 said:

Who said anything about Microsoft execs spying on people? I don't think it's a bunch of corporate bigwigs that people are concerned about. If the past 6 years have taught any lessons, it's that the paranoia crowd is up 21-0 on us "rational" folk.

Mikymjr Mikymjr said:

Haha still I do wonder though. I'll keep on my computer for now. I mostly use my xbox360 to play music or films stored on my computer =p

2 people like this | Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

Doesn't take a Genius to realize PS4 is better in every single way compared to Xbox one. From Hardware, software, to online, Xbox one really messed up and it's not just a opinion its a fact.

ikesmasher said:

no. its an opinion. even though I agree.

GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

Thats wrong in so many ways, first off that is an opinion and where are your facts. Hardware side, only the GPU and ram are better but thats it. The Xbox has the higher processor and the better cooling so far. The rest of the specs in general are on equal ground and the Xbox has high speed EDRAM.

Software...That a flat opinion and the software has more features and currently works better on Xbox ONE, the PS4 is just a stripped down OS with less features than even the PS3.

Online: Both are equal...They are both the exact same experience except Xbox has been doing it longer. But neither have an advantage.

Both of my consoles work just fine, but flat saying something is fact without owning them or without proof is just blowing air. Both consoles work well and do what they are supposed to. PS4 has actually made a bigger mess of things with its hidden DRM policy in the terms of service and with the whole 1 or 2 launch titles with the console. Im very disappointed that its taken them so long to release any system exclusive games when they flat out say "Were focused on gaming". I may have jumped the gun pre-ordering both because I was expecting games to start seriously flying off the shelves but apparently neither did it. But at least the Xbox had 4 Launch titles while the PS4 has 2.

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

Nice! Just wait till 2.22. PS4 will own this month as well.

wastedkill said:

You might be right but lets not forget who came out and started wondering why everyone was all anti NSA.

Microsoft planted billions on this idea they wont just let it go I mean come on its microsoft they already said we need this metro so we are keeping it you think they are gonna just let all those ideas they made go into the bin? Hell no.

Ohh gosh your right I guess snowden didnt get all those top secret files and documents saying they were spying on you as according to you only high up execs look at that stuff so it was the president and NSA chief who was looking at your computer then.

Atleast the PS4 playerbase dont play bad games like the xbox one players if ya get mi drift lad, xD Ghosts... there is a reason it wasnt big on the PS4.

Must be why Microsoft is actually making Metro less of a pain for us desktop users with each update to Windows 8. Likewise, after the debacle that was Vista, Microsoft went on to "fix" it and making Windows 7, arguably the best version of Windows yet. But you're right, even though they retracted their DRM policies concerning the Xbox One and are backing off from Metro for desktop users, it means squat.

amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

My 360 gold account expires Feb 26th, can't wait to see how useless my 360 is after. My PS3 has become our main source for entertainment and the ease/cost in upgrading the HD was a big reason for it.

As far as this topic, the PS4 is the better console IMO with more versatility and less fee's, its no surprise its selling more. The people have chosen.

Sony was in the console business LONG before Microsoft decided to join in.

For me, the best console is a console that got the most game titles on its sleeve :D

Mikymjr Mikymjr said:

That does seem like it ^^. I have other priorities at the moment so it'll have to wait. I have only used the xbox for rayman origins and halo3. So now I'm just using it for music and videos. Although I get a bit angry at the fact that sometimes I can't play a certain format even though I already played the same format before. For now I'll wait for more games to come out first

wastedkill said:

Guess I cant argue with a fanboy.

You have to be seriously blind to think microsoft is backing off metro for desktop users, they are simply giving us small nudges here and their if they wanted to fix it they could have LONG AGO or am I missing the fact that to delete code you need to have a IQ of 9000.

Ye because fixing a OS requires selling the update.... it wasnt a fix it was a new OS with all the fat shaved off, Microsoft is now getting into the habbit of selling you $210 updates AKA windows 8.1 and from what I heard windows 9.

But ye I guess your right paying for fixes and updates is worth the cash. Microsoft spent billions on the DRM software for the Xbox One and advertising those DRM advantages. If microsoft actually did back off then hey they really are a new company with no more BS and they love spending billions on stuff that goes in the trash.

Sony isn't outselling the Xbox One here in my town. There's more Xbox One's available than PS4's. That hasn't change in the last month or so. Very little PS4's are found. Almost every store says it's cause of shipments not cause they have sold out, they didn't have many to begin with. While the Xbox One has been available the past month and selling.

I expect the difference between sales will only go up, seeing as how the PS4 still isn't available in Japan yet. Personally, I'm going to get a PS4 after a good looking jrpg game comes out besides final fantasy and kingdom hearts.

Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

Look at the Wii U... why would a software company develop games for a lame or dead duck?

Not that PS4 vs XBone is the same level of failure...

1 person liked this | davislane1 davislane1 said:

Not that PS4 vs XBone is the same level of failure...

This is why I don't care much about the sales figures. Neither the XB1 nor the PS4 have flopped. They seem relatively successful out of the gate. Most studios currently developing a major title have been doing so for at least the past couple of years, so year-one sales mean little from that angle.

I'm more interested in who has more gaming content in the pipeline than unit sales. Unit sales will become relevant down the road, but right now it only fuels fanboyism.

GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

Sony spent just as much on their DRM policy as Xbox and thats why they kept it in the ToS so they can use it again when necessary. Sony was just waiting for Xbox to go first to see how people would react and thats why they immediately seeing the backlash threw together a few commercials saying PS4 wont be doing that. The day 1 console was already setup with the software on it and ready just like the Xbox was, the only difference was that Xbox completely eradicated it for now while Sony just slipped it into a long section of the ToS so users would not notice it.

cmbjive said:

"Pretty much, it all comes down to game content and neither is really flying with colors at the moment in that area."

Which is why the PS4 is outselling the Xbox One?

I don't care either way as I own both.

GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

Which is why the PS4 is outselling the Xbox One?

I don't care either way as I own both.

Its outselling because its available in more areas and was out sooner. The Xbox ONE has more uses and features than the PS4 which ironically has less features than its predecessor the PS3 and the Xbox ONE had more launch titles. In truth the Xbox is outselling if we are counting on the amount of areas both area available in because the Xbox is available in about half as many.

I have both as well, does not change the fact the PS4 does not have much of a released exclusive library where as the Xbox started with double the amount of exclusives at launch. Ruins the point of a "Gaming oriented" system when theres no games for it.

cmbjive said:

Which is why the PS4 is outselling the Xbox One?

I don't care either way as I own both.

As for sales, I think NPD only considers sales in the United States, not worldwide.

Both systems are still relatively new, however, I believe developers are starting to see that the PS4 has more capabilities than the Xbox One. Hideo Kojima has already stated he believes the PS4 is better than Xbox One in terms of power (MGS Ground Zeroes is in 1080p on the PS4 vs. 720p on Xbox One but both run at 60 fps). Also, Tomb Raider Definitive Edition is 1080p and 60fps on PS4 whereas it is 720p and 30fps on Xbox One.

Personally, the launch lineup for both systems was pretty weak. However, early 2014 will be a telling period with Titanfall getting ready to hit and Second Son coming out afterward.

Then again, Dark Souls 2 is coming out in the same month so maybe both will lose out to their old predecessors...

GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

Most companies have not had enough time to mess with either system with the PS4 having a bit more wiggle room early on for developers is what gives the whole some are 720 instead of 1080. Forza 5 is a 1080p 60FPS on Xbox ONE and looks flat out gorgeous and Ryze was a 900p 60FPS on Xbox ONE. BF4 only ran at 900p 60 FPS on the PS4 and 720p 60fps on the Xbox ONE which already shows not many developers have had enough time with each console to truly optimize.

We wont see anything these consoles can do until at least each developer has a year under its belt with the consoles.

Also Tomb Raider is 1080p 30 on the Xbox ONE and 1080p 60 on PS4.

wastedkill said:

Day 1-2 games mean nothing to be honest, Microsoft decided to criple the xbox one with the spy cam, not wanting to release in most areas, PS4 is what 30-40% more powerful, Xbox one is that thing you have that came with your cable it has some games on it but its mainly for watching TV and talking to your mates on skype whilst watching a film.

The PS4 on the overhand is 90% gaming orientated and it has some games we love then new ones which look amazing, if sony spent the same as microsoft on the DRM then you are an illegal insider trader which by the way is illegal.

Microsoft spent a massive amount on DRM then sony did if sony spent any cash on DRM at all besides the stunt they pulled, Microsoft obviously spent billions on the DRM or is there some coding library that has all the stuff that microsoft pulled which you must obviously know being the insider trader and all.

davislane1 davislane1 said:

That's some of the craziest logic I've seen.

wastedkill said:

That's some of the craziest logic I've seen.

Really? Did I miss sony and microsofts public post about how much they spent on DRM? OR did someone just say they spent the same as wouldn't that kind of stuff be secret when its not made public or am I just missing the fact that every cent microsoft and sony spent is available online.

davislane1 davislane1 said:

Insider trading is when you take privileged or otherwise private information and use it trade. That is, making buy/sell decisions on financial assets (stocks, bonds, futures, options, etc.) with information not available to or discoverable by the general public.

Somebody outside of Sony or MS simply having knowledge of non-public information pertaining to those companies is no more illegal than failing to properly lace a shoe.

Additionally, both Sony and MS are publicly traded firms. If you're willing to spend a few thousand dollars for a detailed professional report on their finances, you can find out where every last dime of their spending went.

1 person liked this | GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

In order:

Yes they do, shows which company was more rushed for a release than another. In the long run of history, game consoles that released with a poor starting lineup have done poorly, a good example of this is the Sega Dreamcast and the Sega Saturn (Yes 2 in a row). If a game company releases a console then goes "Our games will come in the future" that does nothing but play games, then you bought a brick with the assumption and hopes that games will come out in an timely manner (which in reality they have not for both). But if the gaming oriented company can't release more than 2 games at launch and the company supposedly not gaming oriented releases more games, what does that say about the 2 companies?

Xbox Ones Processor is more powerful than PS4's, processor can be and is in most cases more important in the long run than the Graphics Card in a console. Do you really think the graphics of a game like God of War 3 or Halo 4 running at 720p 30fps was capable on those ancient 2004/05 model GPU's? CPU overhead is why the console from last gen did as much as they did, thats why the PS3 and Xbox had such high end (Near Super computer, in fact PS3's was at super computer levels) CPU's for the time. Many people even hacked the PS3 just to use as a super computer and installed linux or other OS's. Having a more powerful GPU and the GDDR5 ram will give it a bonus early on because theres much more leniency in programming, but as things go on they will both even out until near the end of the console life spans again. Its the same argument used with the PS3 vs Xbox 360 debate.

PS4 is trying to be gaming oriented your correct, they did this by stripping features the PS3 had and making the console just a console. Its go a Blu-Ray player and a poor Internet App, the rest are subscriptions based services like music and blocked interfaces restricting the console from doing anything else. My PS3 and 360 are both better media center's than the PS4 is in almost every way. The Xbox ONE has tons of things it can do an an actual internet app that works. The integrated T.V. option gives it the option to use less input ports on the TV which helps because except for some select TV's, most entry, mid, and even some higher end options have in the range of 2-4 HDMI's. Also it does not have to be used for TV, just saving an extra HDMI for use because all it is is and HDMI in port, the T.V. options just include a guide and DVR (Albeit I have not used the DVR function since I have one). You can link with your computer again and you have many more functions than the Xbox 360 and PS3 had including a new Video rental service (Which is sounding like will be more actual movies than just TV shows, but thats up in the air).

Microsoft AND Sony both spent money on DRM software integration. The PS4 had it out of the box and the Day 1 update removed it. The "Billions" spent as you put it is no different between the companies because they both developed the software. Microsoft announced it at the convention on stage and the only difference was after people back lashed Sony just changed their speech and made a quick commercial with the Head to look like they never thought about doing it. The fact is both companies are guilty of it, Microsoft just had the Guts to go first and Sony just rode out the wave. The only diffference between the two in this regard is while Microsoft completely pulled DRM, Sony left it in their machines ToS for when ever they decide to implement it or for companies to make their choice.

Fact is Microsoft has made the console about doing all kinds of things including gaming and it works just as well as any console does at gaming. The controller is once again better than the PS4's as most gamers still recognize and does not have a gimmicky touch panel taking up half the controller.

The Kinect or "Spy-Cam" as you call it which is funny because as ive said in the past that if people really think that microsoft is spying on you with the kinect eye then you might as well put a tin foil hat on and cover every camera in your house including your phones and laptop one because most of the tech in this day and age has a camera on it. That does not even include every microphone in every house that are everywhere, might wanna check those as well. The kinect is a cool device which will actually get wide spread adoption and devlopment this go round just because its available while the PS4 Eye at 50 bucks won't sell or be adopted properly for the 3rd time.

wastedkill said:

Meh cant be bothered arguing, PC gaming is where its really at, no old tech to hold it back and tons more possibilities I think this will be the last console hopefully anyway dont want more lazy developers showing how terrible at developing games.

Good thing about consoles [low cost, Exclusive games]

Good thing about PC's [Mods, Community, Real Next-Gen Graphics, Mods, Community, Accuracy]

Cant have put it more simpler to be honest, If you really want an amazing next gen game PC gaming is where its at unless bad developers somehow decide 2 titans get 20FPS on a game or just plain and simply dont know how to develop games.