Australia's 4G is the fastest in the world, US' ranks second slowest

By on February 21, 2014, 3:30 PM
internet, lte, mobile broadband, australia, 4g, us

Users of 4G LTE in the US: Your last-gen network isn't as fast as you think. British research firm OpenSignal, which specializes in wireless coverage mapping, has released a report which states that Australia has the fastest 4G Internet speed in the world. While the US is second slowest, the Philippines was named the slowest.

According to the report, which is based on the state of LTE coverage and speeds around the world, all LTE networks don’t perform comparably, contrary to what most of the people anticipate. The data showed that there is immense variation in 4G performance of networks in different countries, with some service providers showing overall dwindling 4G download speeds in 2013. For example, in the US, average 4G download speeds have dropped from 9.6 Mbps in the second half of 2012 to 6.5 Mbps in 2013.

The report also noted that the U.S. networks uniformly performed poorly, and no particular operator was responsible for the drop in the nation's average speeds. Congested service could be the outcome of spectrum allocations, staggered network rollouts, equipment upgrades, additional customers, and more.

Australia was at the top of the list with greatly improved 4G speeds of 24.5Mbps, up 42 percent from 17.3Mbps. Brazil, Italy and Hong Kong were also noted for good average 4G speeds ranging from 21 Mbps to 22 Mbps.

Image via Shutterstock

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Yea but we have horrible fixed line speeds.

And 4G costs a fortune, the reason why its cheap is nobody uses it.

Capitalism has failed in the USA.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Wow, The UK wasn't the slowest at something Internet related. Now that IS a first.

second_coming second_coming said:

I recently did a 4g speedtest in Leeds and got 30Mbps download and 21Mbps upload. That was on o2.

misor misor said:

LOL. why do we Filipinos always in the top of the slowest internet service be it landline or wireless (3G/Wimax/LTE)?

To many consumers resulting in congestions or ISPs too greedy that "real faster speeds" are available only for those who want and can afford to pay?

Amigosdefox said:

I live in Mexico and 4G speed is about 6 Mb/s. I don't really need 30 Mb/s but what is absurd is the 600MB data cap for almost $60 per month.

OneSpeed said:

Who needs 4G when you can have LTE?

miluthui miluthui said:

In Vietnam we don't even have 4G yet only 3G and it's very slow and expensive as hell not to mention the internet here is censored they block many sites like facebook I have to change DNS to access it.

psycros psycros said:

Hey, the US also has the poorest broadband penetration and most expensive internet of any first world country - can't forget that! 'Murica!

Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

Misleading figure in Australia. Data rates are crazy expensive. Fixed line you get 500GB a month for $80. 4G you are paying $50 a month and get a GB or 2... What is the point of the fast speed?

scorpionvenom said:

I would just stay with 3G then I would not give that type of money for that

Lurker101 said:

Let's be fair. The Philippinos only have the slowest speed because they're still recovering from a little storm they had recently.

1 person liked this | scorpian007 said:

Yea but we have horrible fixed line speeds.

And 4G costs a fortune, the reason why its cheap is nobody uses it.

Indeed.. I get 50-70Mbps on my 4G phone via Telstra but with a 1GB cap there's no point.

Our fixed line internet is really shit compared to the rest of the world

1 person liked this | atherosXD said:

I'm from the Philippines and I can get 35Mbps on LTE and the HSPA+ in our area can go as high as 12Mbps and the our monthly is Php 999 or $22 more or less. their is also a cap of 1GB but I'm not experiencing it since my Data usage is almost 43GB now from feb 1. but the coverage of LTE in the philippines are small.

Ravneil Lal Ravneil Lal said:

In the Fiji Islands 4G has just launched a few month ago and we are Hittings speeds of 90 Mbps down/36 Mbps up. I think we are the number one in terms of 4G speeds :/

It's not capitalism that is to blame. It's government regulation. The free market would provide top service at a fair price were it not for the interference of the gov't. That goes for both parties. Time for a new Revolution.

Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

That is complete garbage. A free market also results in price fixing, collusion, natural monopolies & oligopolies. A pure free market simply does not work. It *requires* regulation to keep the checks and balances in place.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

It's fast in Australia because there's probably only a handful of towers. Also with our low population, users-per-tower ratio is pretty low.

misor misor said:

NO, I'm a Filipino and before the storm and the earthquake which devastated large areas, our internet speed is already slow compared to other nations.

my ISP, globe telecom, as an added bonus to its subscribers, already offers a free "overnight internet boost" - a temporary increase in internet speed starting at late night and ending at morning.

I hope this gets permanent no matter what the time is.

on the other hand, the competition increases its rural area internet penetration which would make internet services better for all.

veLa veLa said:

No wonder it was taking 20 seconds for web pages to load when I had 4/5 bars of LTE when I was in San Antonio.

Puiu Puiu said:

I get better 3G speeds in Romania (not to mention 4G) than what the US offers for 4G. coupled with 1gbps fiber connections for just 20$ and I can safely say that Europe rocks ^_^