SanDisk announces world's largest capacity microSD memory card

By on February 25, 2014, 9:15 AM

SanDisk has announced the world’s largest capacity microSD memory card. Smaller than a typical human fingernail, this new card is packed with 128GB of storage which is enough to hold 16 hours of full HD video, 7,500 songs, 3,200 pictures and more than 125 apps, all on a single card.

MicroSD cards first hit the scene in 2004 out of a necessity to deliver mobile storage to various digital gadgets like digital cameras. Early cards boasted an incredible (at the time) 128MB of storage but since then, microSD card storage capacity has increased 1,000 times over.

To get to today’s 128GB milestone, SanDisk developed a proprietary technique that allows for 16 memory die to be stacked vertically – each thinner than a strand of hair. Christopher Chute, research director, Worldwide Digital Imaging, IDC, said the technology is well in line with what mobile users expect and demonstrates SanDisk’s commitment to mobility.

One could argue that portable memory cards like this are on the way out, what with the rise in popularity of cloud storage as well as the fact that fewer and fewer mobile devices are shipping with microSD card slots. But that time is still likely years away if I had to venture a guess.

The 128GB SanDisk Ultra microSDXC card is available exclusively in the US through BestBuy.com and Amazon priced at $199.99. The card is also on display at SanDisk’s booth this week during Mobile World Congress.

erick2011 said:

Sweet deal. Perfect to put in the Go Pro Black + and go diving to a ship wreck.

1 person liked this | NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

Why are mobile devices dropping the microSD slots? I liked the option to expand memory past that measly GB that came with lower priced tablets

1 person liked this | Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

From my perspective most phones and tablets (not all) do offer the micro SD slot. I wouldn't dream of buying a mobile device that doesn't offer it even if they do offer a 'reasonable' amount of built in flash storage. I'd always buy the device with the least amount of built in storage (to save money) then bung in a micro SD card. It works out far cheaper.

ArthurZ ArthurZ said:

Now let's wait for the prices to fall.

m4a4 m4a4 said:

They generally aren't, but the ones who do (or never had it) seem to want you to buy their bigger internal storage models (which have inflated prices because of it).

treeski treeski said:

Partly to save costs and partly because streaming service/subscriptions are becoming more and more popular. I think most would agree that our data plans aren't cheap enough to sustain as much streaming as we'd like, buuuut...

1 person liked this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Same here.

"One could argue that portable memory cards like this are on the way out..."

I doubt that very much. Cloud storage is just propaganda supported by the NSA so that they could get hold of your info - no matter how trivial.

Laf904 said:

They are not dropping it but some never adopted it. Apple is a good example and it is clearly a way for them to make big money and exploit customers.

spencer spencer said:

"One could argue that portable memory cards like this are on the way out..."

maybe; in fact probably, a flash drive is plenty for my life.

but how manny floppy?

MilwaukeeMike said:

I felt the same way, but I bought an HTC One anyway, and I honestly haven't missed the card slot. The One has 32GB for the same price as an S4 or Iphone 5's 16GB model. I've had the phone for almost a year and I've only had to move pictures off of it twice (about 1000 each time).

These SD cards have more applications than just phones though. I can see a 128GB being great for a tablet. Tablets are better devices for video than phones so they can use the extra space.

cartera said:

How long until tablets and phones begin supporting this though. Most I have seen still only support 32GB expansion cards despite the until now max of 64GB.

Gopal Bhat Gopal Bhat said:

A lot of manufacturers don't advertise that they support 64GB but the device accepts it perfectly.

cmbjive said:

How soon before MS and Sony offer their systems without hard drives and gives you a small flashcard instead?

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

That's because of Secure Digital (SD) specifications. With 2TB top end and a mandatory exFAT file system, there is little to no room for incompatibility. Anything over 32GB will require SDXC compatibility.

SDXC

The Secure Digital eXtended Capacity (SDXC) format, announced in January 2009 and defined in Version 3.01 of the SD specification, supports cards up to 2 TB (2048 GB), compared to a limit of 32 GB for SDHC cards in the SD 2.0 specification. SDXC adopts Microsoft's exFAT file system as a mandatory feature.

VitalyT VitalyT said:

Smaller than a typical human fingernail...

Good catch, Shrekie...

wastedkill said:

This still doesn't beat my 1TB USB Stick...

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

This still doesn't beat my 1TB USB Stick...
Can you plug it into a phone? Must be awkward to use that way.

That's 8 times storage capacity, while the dimensions are 200 times the size of MicroSD. MicroSDXC has its place, and can not be compared to a USB stick.

2 people like this | wastedkill said:

Can you plug it into a phone? Must be awkward to use that way.

My 1TB USB Stick is small enough to fit inside my phone.

Timonius Timonius said:

Yeah, but what's the read/write performance on it. I think it's nice to see increased storage size for any type of flash memory. The more important issue will be how fast does it run - that '10' on the card means nothing these days.

Also, is the reliability (life expectancy, mtbf, etc.) going to be reasonable for long term storage compared to lower capacity cards?

1 person liked this | Guest said:

That's why I always encrypt my data before uploading it to the cloud. Even if the NSA get a hold of my info, they wouldn't be able to decrypt it in a reasonable amount of time.

Dukenukemx Dukenukemx said:

I wouldn't buy a device without a sd card slot. I also don't trust cloud, or ever care for it. My T-Mobile cell phone connection can barely play YouTube videos, and I want it to use Cloud? Let alone anything going on with the NSA.

Yea, give me that 128GB SD card.

128 GB * 1024 = 131072 MB

131072 / 1.44 MB = 91023 floppies, when rounded up.

Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

Good ones still have them. I cross off ones from the list that don't.

gobbybobby said:

I got a nexus 5 smart phone 16 gigs recently just assumed would have a SD slot. It doesn't but tbh I use spotify for music got a few offline playlists about six gig. My photos sync with drop box and my pc when I plug into pc I have 35 gigs storage there so don't need any phone storage really. Netflix BBC I player all use no local storage apart from maybe a few mb for the app itself so its all good really.

2 people like this | Seventh Reign Seventh Reign said:

How the @#$%! can they fit that much space on something that small...

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

How the @#$%! can they fit that much space on something that small...
I said the same thing, back when they came out with 4GB MicroSD and every capacity bump afterward. lol

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

At this rate 256GB. 512GB. from here they're skip to 1TB by 2020.

perkinmerchant perkinmerchant said:

Sandisk a renowed mane in producing storage mediums has recently launched SanDisk MicroSD Card 16 GB Class 10 Ultra with high storage capcity and advanced features.

get the prduct at its best cheap price