Can't stream live news

How much tinkering is needed in Winamp to use that? I've had Winamp on here but got rid of it.
I do have the current version of VLC on here

No tinkering. I selected Open URL from File, then pasted the link. Then the video started playing.

Ok, I just re downloaded the latest Winamp so I will install it & give it a try on their next broadcast.
I'm about to give up on it.

I thank you for your help & patience but it still don't work. Sorry to say, I'm giving up. I can watch it on tv. Thanks.

Sorry it didn't work. I think it's a Windows problem, so maybe it'll be fixed should you decide to upgrade/reinstall the OS. I suppose if you have the time and if you want to definitively rule out whether the OS is the problem or not, then you can try to access the news stream in Linux.

I have Ubuntu installed on an external HDD some time ago. I started playing around w/ that but the default player couldn't open the live stream. As I started to look for a different player, I had problem w/ my work laptop. So I stopped & began dealing w/ the problem. Anyway, just a thought should you get bored.

I have thought about reinstalling the OS,but first I need to ask my friend that gave this pc to me if the 3 CD pack I have someplace around here is the correct ones.
I had to use the Recovery Console on this pc just after I got it because he deleted something that he shouldn't of.
Will let you know when I find out.
Thanks & I hope you're safe from Irene:D

Thanks. Pouring outside now w/ some wind. It'll get worse overnight. Then slowly return to normal Sunday afternoon...weather wise.

The CBS news uses Flash player, KIRO uses Windows Media Player, or I suppose any player that can open this "mms://a1144.l1292653143.c12926.g.lm.akamaistream.net/D/1144/12926/v0001/reflector:53143".

<ASX VERSION="3.0">
<ENTRY>
<REF HREF="mms://a1144.l1292653143.c12926.g.lm.akamaistream.net/D/1144/12926/v0001/reflector:53143" />
</ENTRY>
</ASX>

Above is what's in the "http://mfile.akamai...asx". I found out couple days ago that the asx file is sort of like a pointer to the actual media. Why they chose this over Flash, I have no idea.

Well. my worse case scenario has come true,I think:(. I've looked everyplace I can think of & I can't find them:mad:

Lost the hosts file? Strange. But sure, the method in the MS kb works. I hardly ever open that file myself. I let Spybot seach & destroy updates it for me.

No such luck.:( I give up. Thanks for your help. If I can get a hold of another pc, I might attempt to try the Recovery Console again.:)

No such luck. I give up. Thanks for your help. If I can get a hold of another pc, I might attempt to try the Recovery Console again.

Another PC for XP installation files?

I haven't read all the replies, but hearing your problem, I am assuming that it's a RAM problem. Try upgrading, or don't put a lot of load on it. Don't run a lot of programs while streaming your news.

I haven't read all the replies, but hearing your problem, I am assuming that it's a RAM problem. Try upgrading, or don't put a lot of load on it. Don't run a lot of programs while streaming your news.

No, I know its not that because it has worked in the past. I've had this pc for a couple years & for several months I watched the news on this pc. It quit working for a while & then resumed.
Its now been about a month I haven't been able to stream the news.
I'm going to try to borrow a friends laptop later this week so I can get help in here if need be while I use the Recovery Console on my PC in hopes it fixes the problem.

Back