I Have Literally Formatted My Hd 10 Times In The Past Two Weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

FPS fiend

hello all.

I just recently bought an ati x700, and out of nowhere, my hd will crash or an OS file will be corrupted the next time i restart my pc. I will often attempt to repair my OS through the windows setup, and an error reads, "this file could not be deleted" or "this folder could not be created." I first suspected that my new video card was the cause so i re-installed my previous card. NOPE, same problems occur. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IS WRONG. I try to run a disk check, and it says that direct access to the volume is restricted. I'm only running 512mb of RAM; do I need more RAM or is my memory not the problem?

I highly appreciate any advice you guys can give me. Thanks

some of the messages are normal, as complete testing can not be performed
while the system is running (eg exclusive use, file busy)

you apparently have multiple issues to be solved (1) disk repair & (2) why the crashing/corrupting of files

you need to go OFFLINE and stay there until both are solved.

boot into Safe Mode and run
CHKDSK /F

then you can reboot normally and resolve the crash/corruption issue(s).

Do you have the firewall installed and activated and
an antivirus program? Install both and activate in the above order.
You may need to get HijackThis and post the log back here.

The root cause maybe faulty ram or faulty device driver. I have to examine the stack trace of your minidump in order to find out the culprit.
When Windows crashes with blue screen, it writes a system event 1001 or 1003 and a minidump to the folder \windows\minidump. Check system event 1001 and 1003 and it has the content of the blue screen.

Event ID: 1001
Source: Save Dump
Description:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.The bugcheck was : 0xc000000a (0xe1270188, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804032100).
Microsoft Windows..... A dump was saved in: .......

Event Source: System Error
Event Category: (102)
Event ID: 1003
Description:
Error code 1000007f, parameter1 0000000d, parameter2 00000000, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 00000000

Control Panel -> Adminstrative Tools -> Event Viewer -> System -> Event 1001/1003. Copy the content and paste it back here

Zip 5 to 6 minidumps to one zip file and attach it here. Techspot has a upper limit of 100K per attachment. I will study the dump and find out the culprit.

cpc2004

jobeard said:
some of the messages are normal, as complete testing can not be performed
while the system is running (eg exclusive use, file busy)

you apparently have multiple issues to be solved (1) disk repair & (2) why the crashing/corrupting of files

you need to go OFFLINE and stay there until both are solved.

boot into Safe Mode and run
CHKDSK /F

then you can reboot normally and resolve the crash/corruption issue(s).

Do you have the firewall installed and activated and
an antivirus program? Install both and activate in the above order.
You may need to get HijackThis and post the log back here.

Yes, I do have a firewall and anti-virus program running. I have run the virus scan several times, and nothing has been detected.

Here is my HJT log:

Attachments

• hijackthis.txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 6
cpc2004 said:
The root cause maybe faulty ram or faulty device driver. I have to examine the stack trace of your minidump in order to find out the culprit.
When Windows crashes with blue screen, it writes a system event 1001 or 1003 and a minidump to the folder \windows\minidump. Check system event 1001 and 1003 and it has the content of the blue screen.

Event ID: 1001
Source: Save Dump
Description:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.The bugcheck was : 0xc000000a (0xe1270188, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804032100).
Microsoft Windows..... A dump was saved in: .......

Event Source: System Error
Event Category: (102)
Event ID: 1003
Description:
Error code 1000007f, parameter1 0000000d, parameter2 00000000, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 00000000

Control Panel -> Adminstrative Tools -> Event Viewer -> System -> Event 1001/1003. Copy the content and paste it back here

Zip 5 to 6 minidumps to one zip file and attach it here. Techspot has a upper limit of 100K per attachment. I will study the dump and find out the culprit.

cpc2004

I had to reformat earlier today just to get back to these forums so there aren't any minidumps. If my comp crashes again, the only way to get it back up is to reformat and reinstall windows. I can't open event 1001/1003 because no errors have occurred yet

point 1: see also https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic12931.html

point 2. file corruption is a nasty issue. Let's explore some What If scenarios.

IF it were real I/O errors, the process performing the i/o would complain with
an error message - - you don't see these, so not a detected i/o error.

IF the i/o appears to have completed correctly and later it is found to be
in error, it's likely to be
...hardware related,
...very bad software driver. or
...timing related due to stress on resources.

these are all nasty to unwind clearly. Highly recommend updating
device drivers one at a time, starting with the HD, video, and TCP drivers - -
those that are most active.

Gravely concerned for FSB overrun, mutliplier mismatch and even
power supply voltage stability. Consider BIOS change to disable L2 caching
until you get some reliability.

Can you isolate units of work so that you run for one hour w/o Internet
connection, reboot and verify the sane/insane results?

Is the system being accessed aka ICS or File Sharing that can be isolated?

re hijack log

cthelper.exe - Here is the scoop on Creative Plugin Helper.

cthelper.exe is a utility program that is used as an interface by third party software vendors and manufacturers to integrate their software with Creative soundcards and drivers. Normally this process would be left alone, however it has been reported to consume 100% CPU time and cause other system problems. It should be removed from your system, unless you find that doing so causes further problems.

updreg.exe - Here is the scoop on Registration Updater.

The updreg.exe process will prompt you to register your Creative Labs Audigy hardware if you have not done so already. Your Audigy sound card does not required this process to function correctly, so the updreg.exe process can be terminated.

ati2sgag.exe
This service is installed if you update to the latest ATI video card drivers. It provides the ability to test your particular configuration for compatibility issues and stability issues. The location is also in the ATI display properties control panel. After testing "once," I have found no reason to continue to have this service in memory. set to Service to DISABLE

winrar.exe
considered to be a security risk, not only because antivirus programs flag CoolWWWSearch / WinRAR as a virus, but also because a number of users have complained about its performance.

CoolWWWSearch / WinRAR is likely a virus and as such, presents a serious vulnerability which should be fixed immediately! Delaying the removal of winrar.exe may cause serious harm to your system and will likely cause a number of problems, such as slow performance, loss of data or leaking private information to websites.

jobeard said:
cthelper.exe - Here is the scoop on Creative Plugin Helper.

cthelper.exe is a utility program that is used as an interface by third party software vendors and manufacturers to integrate their software with Creative soundcards and drivers. Normally this process would be left alone, however it has been reported to consume 100% CPU time and cause other system problems. It should be removed from your system, unless you find that doing so causes further problems.

updreg.exe - Here is the scoop on Registration Updater.

The updreg.exe process will prompt you to register your Creative Labs Audigy hardware if you have not done so already. Your Audigy sound card does not required this process to function correctly, so the updreg.exe process can be terminated.

ati2sgag.exe
This service is installed if you update to the latest ATI video card drivers. It provides the ability to test your particular configuration for compatibility issues and stability issues. The location is also in the ATI display properties control panel. After testing "once," I have found no reason to continue to have this service in memory. set to Service to DISABLE

winrar.exe
considered to be a security risk, not only because antivirus programs flag CoolWWWSearch / WinRAR as a virus, but also because a number of users have complained about its performance.

CoolWWWSearch / WinRAR is likely a virus and as such, presents a serious vulnerability which should be fixed immediately! Delaying the removal of winrar.exe may cause serious harm to your system and will likely cause a number of problems, such as slow performance, loss of data or leaking private information to websites.

OK, i disabled all of those. I hope this works :\

jobeard, don't try to panic the poor feller!

There's nothing wrong with that HJT-log, except put HijackThis in e.g C:\Program Files\HJT and NOT in Temp or on the Desktop!
But I don't see ANY antivirus or firewall software!
And worst of all, you use Internet Explorer, shame on you!
Get Firefox from www.getfirefox.com

I think my RAM just got annihilated!

RealBlackStuff said:
jobeard, don't try to panic the poor feller!

There's nothing wrong with that HJT-log, except put HijackThis in e.g C:\Program Files\HJT and NOT in Temp or on the Desktop!
But I don't see ANY antivirus or firewall software!
And worst of all, you use Internet Explorer, shame on you!
Get Firefox from www.getfirefox.com

I didn't have a firewall or anti-virus installed because i had just recently reformatted for the 20th time.

WOW. I just changed my refresh rate from 60-75 and my screen turned into a bunch of scattered junk that i couldn't make out. I restarted and now every window i open cascades slower than it would if i didn't have a display driver installed. IS MY RAM SCREWED? I know my is pretty old so I think it might be time for a couple new sticks.

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i apologize for spamming, but I HAD TO REFORMAT AGAIN!!!! i got the blue screen of death when i tried to restart my pc :confused:

Stop reinstalling until you really know what you are doing!
You may well have a rotten harddisk.
Go to the Storage forum, check the Read: posts and get the proper testutil from your HD-manufacturer.
You might also consider ZeroFilling that HD, because you might have a boot-virus!

RealBlackStuff said:
Stop reinstalling until you really know what you are doing!
You may well have a rotten harddisk.
Go to the Storage forum, check the Read: posts and get the proper testutil from your HD-manufacturer.
You might also consider ZeroFilling that HD, because you might have a boot-virus!

I can't seem to get into my boot sequence manager to run powermax. Do you know any possible ways i can access mine as windows boots? The floppy disk isn't detected as my pc boots.

i need help 2

hey there i have incounter a problem let me explain, my computer had a files missing so i went ahead and formated the PC but now that the PC is trying to copy the new files to be copied some files are not copied " FILE @@@@#@# COULD NOT BE COPIED CORRECTLY THEN IT GIVES ME THE OPIONS SKIP, RETRY, OR QUIT SETUP" NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES I PRESS RETRY THE FILES DON COPY.....i dunno what to do i tried 3 different hardrives i even bought a new copy of XP and nothing seems to work! i have no i dea on what to do they are SATA, i stall all the drives for it but still im havin problems installing my operating system.

what are you doing messing around with a refresh rate?

If you don't know what you're doing, get help.

refresh has nothing to do with installing an OS.

well im not talking about the refresh rate im trying to istall XP professional normally, and after i choose the particion that i want it to istall, it asks for what time of format and after i choose NTFS quick it says please wait while files are copied but durrin dose files copied some files are not copied correct or they were unable to be copied!!!!!

then either you have some incompatible components, b) your XP is bad or bogus c) you're missing device drivers.

then either you have some incompatible components, b) your XP is bad or bogus c) you're missing device drivers. :confused:

edras said:
well im not talking about the refresh rate im trying to istall XP professional normally, and after i choose the particion that i want it to istall, it asks for what time of format and after i choose NTFS quick it says please wait while files are copied but durrin dose files copied some files are not copied correct or they were unable to be copied!!!!!
Let's be clear. You can't boot from the HD and reformat at the same time.
To really reformat, you have to boot from a CD with the right tools.

Secondly, if you REALLY need to format an HD, don't use the Quick option,
as that's logically the same as ERASE ALL FILES. Yes it is quick, but you've
avoided doing the most important part of formatting, testing each data block
for data integrity. You really want this done to find any BAD BLOCKS and to
have them marked as UNUSABLE.

Now then, if you get errors in the install
...file xyz could not be copied, ...
then see Tedster's Comment

well i found the problem i have 2g of ram, so i took them all off an tested the in a different pc, there was a a bad stick so now that im not using it the istallation was finished!! thanx guys! :approve:

jobeard said:
Let's be clear. You can't boot from the HD and reformat at the same time.
To really reformat, you have to boot from a CD with the right tools.

Secondly, if you REALLY need to format an HD, don't use the Quick option,
as that's logically the same as ERASE ALL FILES. Yes it is quick, but you've
avoided doing the most important part of formatting, testing each data block
for data integrity. You really want this done to find any BAD BLOCKS and to
have them marked as UNUSABLE.

Now then, if you get errors in the install
...file xyz could not be copied, ...
then see Tedster's Comment

How do I test each block to mark as unusable?

when you low-level format a hard drive, the computer automatically tests each block and marks them as usuable or not. When installing windows opt for the long, slow format.

Fast format is the same thing as a delete and does not test block integrity.

Tedster said:
when you low-level format a hard drive, the computer automatically tests each block and marks them as usuable or not. When installing windows opt for the long, slow format.

Fast format is the same thing as a delete and does not test block integrity.

Ok, then I've done that a few times. My hard drive still manages to crash on me. In fact, I just got another BSOD about 5 min ago. Luckily I was able to actually boot in safe mode this time and retrieve a minidump. Somebody please study my dump and find the culprit :( Thanks

the hard drive NEVER CRASHES; the OS may report I/O errors or
go to a BSOD, but the HD didn't crash.

Cause vs Effect? That's the whole issue TBD (To Be Determined)

jobeard said:
the hard drive NEVER CRASHES; the OS may report I/O errors or
go to a BSOD, but the HD didn't crash.

Cause vs Effect? That's the whole issue TBD (To Be Determined)

so what info do you need to determine my pc's problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back