Anyone Else Use Safari (Windows Version)?

Obi-Wan Jerkobi

I absolutely love it. It is soo much faster than just about any web browser I've used, even Firefox 3 RC2 & IE7. It move's so fast, even on my Pentium 3 System (My Pentium 2 Mobo decided to finally R.I.P. :p).

Anyone else a fan? :p

I've tried it, and I love the speed, but not the blurry text and lack of being able to right click and hit properties to find where a picture's location is >.< .

Wow!

That was a quick reply cfitzarl. Yeah, I'm still getting used to that. But at least most of the time when I embed images, they're my own so I know the filename.

It might be fast but it takes up alot of memory(ram) so ive heard. correct me plz if im wrong. so i never fooled with it. And yes apple has some catching up to do with their web browser.

:p I'm used to threads getting replies every few seconds (from another site I'm a member of).

But in all fairness, I also realize that Safari is still in beta, and not all of the features have been added for fixed. I will wait until I see a stable release candidate for download, then try it again and see how it performs and acts :) .

larryiam said:
It might be fast but it takes up alot of memory(ram) so ive heard. correct me plz if im wrong. so i never fooled with it. And yes apple has some catching up to do with their web browser.

It takes up no more memory in your RAM than Firefox does (which usually takes up at least 50mb to 200mb for me)...I'm a big fan of keeping at least 5 tabs open at the same time :p .

Yeah, there are some bugs.

I've noticed the system specs object doesn't work in Safari. :haha:

And yes, larryiam, it does take up about 128MB of RAM on my PC. >_<

cfitzarl said:
But in all fairness, I also realize that Safari is still in beta, and not all of the features have been added for fixed. I will wait until I see a stable release candidate for download, then try it again and see how it performs and acts :) .
:confused: I didn't know it was still in beta!?

Well true it not in official "beta" but its still in the works i think. But options are like a**holes everyone has one. lol

larryiam said:
Well true it not in official "beta" but its still in the works i think. But options are like a**holes everyone has one. lol
You mean opinions? :p

And maybe it's in a type of beta that everything on google is. You know, how everything on google is in beta, or has been in beta forever but still works as if it isn't. Especially stuff like google earth.

Yea man can't spell :eek: :approve: Well safari is officially not a beta.....i think it will need alot of work(beta to me for a while) haha like google :p

Safari is being built based on Webkit, which is based on Konqueor from linux, but not its being worked on by Apple, Google, Nokia and probably some others.

I'm not entirely sure Safari 2 (is that even the one on Windows, or are you guys on Safari 3) is based on Webkit, it probably is but I can't say for sure. In any case, I have noticed in OS X how much faster Webkit is than anything else I have used. I just don't like how it handles tabs/new windows, but firefox is just as bad. Opera is the only truely great tabbed browser I've used (I'm sure its just what you get used to, but without extensions and configuration Opera will not open a link in a new window unless you specifically tell it to, always a tab). Now I've lost where I was going... but I guess to wrap it up, Safari is making great progress, make things always open in tabs, and make it block ads better (or at least allow a user to manually do that) and I'll be happy.

My perspective
Firefox because it has the ability to have themes, add ons, and less pop ups, and is more secure.
safari only has speed and load times.

And your perspective...............hope i spelled that right! :p

SNGX1275 said:
Safari is being built based on Webkit, which is based on Konqueor from linux, but not its being worked on by Apple, Google, Nokia and probably some others.

I'm not entirely sure Safari 2 (is that even the one on Windows, or are you guys on Safari 3) is based on Webkit, it probably is but I can't say for sure. In any case, I have noticed in OS X how much faster Webkit is than anything else I have used. I just don't like how it handles tabs/new windows, but firefox is just as bad. Opera is the only truely great tabbed browser I've used (I'm sure its just what you get used to, but without extensions and configuration Opera will not open a link in a new window unless you specifically tell it to, always a tab). Now I've lost where I was going... but I guess to wrap it up, Safari is making great progress, make things always open in tabs, and make it block ads better (or at least allow a user to manually do that) and I'll be happy.

SNGX1275 that is very well put!

SNGX1275 said:

This is actually kind of Coincidence because I wanted to try out Safari because Firefox and Opera didn't seem like they were using my IC to it's full potential. Turns out, they weren't!:) The tab thing doesn't bother me, as I use IE5 at school so I'm used to the spamming of windows instead of tabs. :p

Although, I do have to agree Opera is the most secure browser...ever...I have never got a single tracking cookie while using Opera, (a few with Firefox, a lot with IE).

i have heard that if opera keeps going its going to be a great browser. I have never tried it yet though. But i will!

Once Opera 9.5 goes live (you can get its beta now) it will be fantastic. The ability to easily, effortlessly, have access to your bookmarks, no matter what system you are on is brilliant. I've been using the 9.5alpha and betas for a while now and they are fantastic. I can't honestly say they have been trouble free, I have had sites not load properly, and I have often had sites with embedded flash video not actually play the flash vid, so it is by no means perfect, but that is to be expected, its alpha and beta software and if you can't live with that don't use it.

But back on subject. Safari is definately on the right track to become an excellent browser. For those of you that hated Opera because it wasn't open source you now have a new competitor that is open source, and it has Apple behind it, and Apple's direct intention is to place it into their OS, so there is no screwing around. Safari/Webkit is the real deal, and if you don't think they are a competitor to FF/Opera/IE you are kidding yourself.

Correction. Opera 9.5 final is now out :)
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic106520.html

Then Firefox 3 final next week. This is by far my pick against all other browsers - got to love my extensions.

Safari 3 is a great improvement over its own past iterations, however it's too stubborn when you want to do something your way IMO.

Ditched Safari because it hates plugins and wont play Windows Media, MP3, MP4, or any Quicktime file! :( But now that FF3 is out I am much happier. Runs almost as fast as safari, BUT all of my plugins work. :)

bah, should have used Opera then :)

And I'm sure Safari is supposed to be able to deal with those, they are extremely common on webpages, surely Apple wouldn't release their browser on the Windows platform crippled that badly.

Back