Random freeze or total crash on new build

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaMak420

I didn't really see a clear cut "help desk" or "request some support" section... so i think I will try here... Sorry if it isn't the right forum!

So...

ok..... so I have been having one issue since the new build..... it didn't start right away, it started about 10 days ago.(complete new build roughly 25 days ago, my first one)

Random freeze or total crash.

I am not getting any blue screens of death......

If it freezes, it literally freezes, and i cant do anything to get out of it but a hard reboot (power button for 5 secs)

If it crashes.... the whole system goes down... then idles at an almost start-up... screen stays black though, and it doesnt enter the boot cycle. When this happens, I can press the reset button on the front of the unit, and the machine boots right up.

In each scenario I get the select an option of how to boot up screen... i always just select "Start Windows Normally" and it boots right into windows.

Sometimes this will happen twice in a night, sometimes it wont happen for 2 days. It feels random.

I do feel like the only 100% constants are the following

Asus monitoring/OC'ing software (I dont do any overclocking, everything stays at default settings)
EVGA Precision OC/Monitoring Software (Again, no oc'ing just use for monitoring)
AVG (Anit-virus)
Creative Audio Console
Steam Client
Logitech keyboard, and mouse software- I have a G15& a G9( i think its called setpoint or something)
Windows Sidebar (i know it is lame... but I kinda like it...)

That is all I think.

I have checked... my gpu temp is normally around 53-54c... I can drop this to 49-50c by turning up the gpu fan (normally set at 40%, 60% drops the temp)

My CPU temp is running @ 56-58c
and my overall system temp is approx 30c

I thought the first time it happened it, something got too hot, or I had and airflow issue.... so I cranked my case fans to high, instead of low.... then it happened again, so I opened the case, and have had the side panel off for like 5 days now..... still happening.

I don't think it is a heat issue at all. but what can it be!!!!

Any1 have any ideas?

Your overall system temperature is quite fine but as for your cpu your celcius temp range is 131-136.4 in fereinheit. I don't know what your chip is rated for but I would look into this. If it is too hot then that may be your issue right there.

Also, what is your power supply and wattage?

Thanks for a quick reply.

PSU = COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro RS-750-ACAA-A1 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

I will do some homework on my cpu.

based on what I read here - http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLAWR#
I am within the thresh hold of the maximum heat. But after doing a little research... I am hearing that some people are seeing 3.4ghz stable with this chip, and maintaining 40-45c temps.

hmmmm maybe i need to get my thermal past out and re-seat my heat sink..... I did have some trouble with the heat sink during the build.... i suppose it *COULD* be the issue... but i have checked it twice.... it is secure, and seated correctly...

/frustrated

I certainly dont feel like this machine is performing at its capability... I guess I have some work to do...

I checked out that link and you are 12c below the 71.4c maximum so you are correct. I'll bet those 40-45c temps that you read about are due to a third party cooler such as a Zalman heat sink/fan. A lot of overclockers replace the stock with good third party offerings.

I don't know if this will help, but when I built my socket 939 a few years ago I chose an EPoX 9NPA+Ultra motherboard (great board!). EPoX would have their logo screen load before anything else, including the screen that allowed you to enter the BIOS.

Well it would freeze on me constantly, never letting me move on. I had to disable it in the BIOS and the freezing stopped. I don't know if this applies in your situation but I thought I'd throw it out to you.

Random freeze or total crash.

I had randome freezups for seconds on my new build until installing service pack 2 (now 3) and getting all the windows XP updates...plus alot of things crashed on me...sometimes, some parts from different brands simply are incompatible with each other, though this could be a pain to test out.

EVGA Precision FTW!!

I had randome freezups for seconds on my new build until installing service pack 2 (now 3) and getting all the windows XP updates...plus alot of things crashed on me...sometimes, some parts from different brands simply are incompatible with each other, though this could be a pain to test out.

EVGA Precision FTW!!

well I am running vista 64 ultimate. I had absolutley no problem installing, nor any problem updating.

I am going to check for new drivers and such... but it just doesnt feel like like a driver issue.... It either feels like the OS is having a major hiccup, or a piece of my hardware is....

If it is in fact that my processor is getting too hot, and shutting itself down..... the pc should only come on for a shorter amout of time than the original.

We are also not talking about a short amount of time... I may be up for 3 hours, no trouble... the BAM! total freeze, or total weird half restart.

But it doesnt come up, then shutdown quickly.... it stays on... sometimes for another 8+ hours till I shut it down for the day.

I was also testing if it was always under load or not... sometimes i am gaming..... sometimes not...

I have had Crysis running on high settings @ 1920x1200, with 2 instances of wow running, and all my other bs proggies I keep running.(Its a long story why all that was running) and i was still getting 32 fps in crysis. That was about as much loadas I can imagine putting on a machine... and no problem.... I owuld think this is when it would be running hottest as well....

Just last night i had it idling at my desktop.... after about an hour and a half..... restart to a black screen.

so the load doesnt seem to matter....

I am doing everything i can to take some of the randomness out of this but I am having a hard time linking anything to it. That is part of the reason i want to blame the OS... but i just cant rule out hardware yet.

I checked out that link and you are 12c below the 71.4c maximum so you are correct. I'll bet those 40-45c temps that you read about are due to a third party cooler such as a Zalman heat sink/fan. A lot of overclockers replace the stock with good third party offerings.

I don't know if this will help, but when I built my socket 939 a few years ago I chose an EPoX 9NPA+Ultra motherboard (great board!). EPoX would have their logo screen load before anything else, including the screen that allowed you to enter the BIOS.

Well it would freeze on me constantly, never letting me move on. I had to disable it in the BIOS and the freezing stopped. I don't know if this applies in your situation but I thought I'd throw it out to you.

There is a "Striker Extreme II" screen that loads up first... but i never get hung up there on a normal startup. It only seems I get hung up pre-boot, is when the system abruptly resets itself.

P.S. thanks guys so far for the thoughts/help... the more minds the better!

Have you checked to see if your PSU is stable? A good multimeter could easily test if you are getting steady wattage/voltage or not. I have a $20 Craftsman digital and it is excellent.

Some other options:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=371324&prodlist=celebros

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=360903&prodlist=celebros

* Also, how is is your GPU temps? Is the fan steady on your video card?

According to AI suite - My cpu voltage is steady at 1.280V

According to EVGA Precision software... 54C and stable there. Fan speed is currently at 60%

Hmmm, okay let me throw this at 'ya.

1. Asus is picky about RAM. Is your RAM recommended by Asus for your particular mobo?

2. Your mobo, is it running your RAM at optimized stock settings?

3. What are the voltage readings for you video card and could it be a driver issue?

I am leaning more and more towards a heat issue....

I think it gets REALLY hot under load...

I ran prime95 for exactly 60 seconds... i let the system push itself to 75C before I cancelled the test.

Just pushed it to 77C... not going any further... but the sytem didnt shut itself down....

-confused-

Well I am sure there are safety protocols in that they give a boundary not to cross but just in case it is designed for a few more degrees than recommended. I think a third party heat sink fan rather than the stock one you are using may be your best bet.

Well I am sure there are safety protocols in that they give a boundary not to cross but just in case it is designed for a few more degrees than recommended. I think a third party heat sink fan rather than the stock one you are using may be your best bet.

I think I am going to run to the store today, and grab a new tube of thermal paste, and reseat the heatsink/fan.

I am wondering if i used too much thermal paste.

I was told once to use alcohol(rubbing alcohol) to clean off the cpu and heatsink.... is this true?? If I reseat this heat sink and fan, and still have these high high temps, I will likely pick up a nice after market heatsink/fan.

Yes, rubbing alcohol will do fine with cue-tips. I've done it and it cleans quite well. Just make sure it is 80% or better.

As for themal paste, remember a dot the size of a rice grain goes a long way.

Yes, rubbing alcohol will do fine with cue-tips. I've done it and it cleans quite well. Just make sure it is 80% or better.

As for themal paste, remember a dot the size of a rice grain goes a long way.

What do you use to spread it? I was told once to just use a flat side of a credit card....

p.s. Route44.... do you sleep? or are you like me, running on all cylinders at all hours of the day ? and thanks for all the help.

I am a night owl but when I have to get up I do. And you are welcome.

I simply put a dot the size of a rice seed in the middle and it spreads itself when attaching it.. I have heard of spreading it by credit card as well. The manufacturer usually includes instructions.

According to EVGA Precision software... 54C and stable there. Fan speed is currently at 60%

wow?? what graphics card are you running...? I can't think of any card that idles at 54C at 60% fan speed?? thats what you see with like 25% fans speed for many cards...you do have case fans right?

you do have case fans right?

hahaha I have to admit... that actually made me LOL IRL.

Yes i do.

They are the standard fans in the Antec P182SE I have my case fans set to high.

im using the 280 superclocked edition i think its in my system specs in the drop down from my profile.

hahaha I have to admit... that actually made me LOL IRL.

heh...but i was seriously thinking you had no case fans lol.

Just pushed it to 77C...

77C for a penry (45nm) based procesor, even a quad core...is ridiculously high... mines a 65nm dual core @2.7ghz, even at 30ghz, it idles at ≈30C with the stock cooler. ≈45C under load. Your sure you have a cooler and thermal paste on properly...right?

Anyway yes...if you read the ASUS mobo reviews, alot of people (mostly *****s) tend to rate them down because of incompatibility issues. I think that it could be your ram or your motherboard, or both put together...maybe. Do you know if you ram is on the list of approved ram's for you board? And also try clocking down the ram to, say, 1000 - 1200 and see if you still ahve crashes. And check if the voltage is at 1.8v (or whatever its supposed to be running on).

heh...but i was seriously thinking you had no case fans lol.

77C for a penry (45nm) based procesor, even a quad core...is ridiculously high... mines a 65nm dual core @2.7ghz, even at 30ghz, it idles at ≈30C with the stock cooler. ≈45C under load. Your sure you have a cooler and thermal paste on properly...right?

Anyway yes...if you read the ASUS mobo reviews, alot of people (mostly *****s) tend to rate them down because of incompatibility issues. I think that it could be your ram or your motherboard, or both put together...maybe. Do you know if you ram is on the list of approved ram's for you board? And also try clocking down the ram to, say, 1000 - 1200 and see if you still ahve crashes. And check if the voltage is at 1.8v (or whatever its supposed to be running on).

Yes... I just re-seated the heatsink last night, and cleaned off all the thermal paste, and re-applied it.

Now my AI Suite tells me I am running at steady 68-72c idle. Fans cranked, I even added the extra fan that came with my mobo. It went as high as 86c under load, and then I cut it.

How do I scale back my ram? and check its voltage? the bios? if so.. I can play around in there and check it out.

Do you think I should clear my cmos first? and see what happens ?

You may, and I say may, need to buy a third party cooler for both your CPU and Video card.

You may, and I say may, need to buy a third party cooler for both your CPU and Video card.

I think I am still within my rma period for the vid card.... do you think I should just RMA it, and get a new one?

I dont have a problem spending money on 3rd party stuff..... but my concern is that it SHOULD be cool enough with the stock stuff.....

I am afraid throwing a much better heatsink/fan on there will just mask the real issue.

I am going to buy some good thermal paste today.... It is possible the white crap in the generic seringe tube I bought is just ****.... (Way to save 5 bux huh?)

If that doesnt work, then I will likely just go get a new heatsink/fan and see if that helps. i am also going to check the temps in the bios... b.c i am wondering if ai suite is reporting bad temps to me......

Should be an interesting lunch hour!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back