Computer randomly shuts down

Status
Not open for further replies.

mychem

hi

well here is the problem about 2 mothns ago my pc would randomly shut down so i re-enstalled windows microsoft xp professional and updated everything but for some reason unkon it still shiutts down no erro message no blue screen of death nothing,it usually happened when i had to manny windows open or was palying a game, so i though that the motherboard g- card could not handel the games so i bought a nvidia geforxe fx5200 and i put in a second harddrive but still the problem is there

specs

microsoft windows xp professional version 2002
servive pack 3
Adm sempron(tm) 2400+ 1.67GHz 1.00gb of ram

if anyone knows what to do please tell me
thanks.

Computer shuts down suddenly

I have a similar problem. My computer shuts down without warning, after running anywhere from a ½ hour to 1 ½ hours. I have cleaned all 5 fans, using vacuum cleaner, brushes & alcohol. Also cleaned heat sinks. Temperatures seem within normal range: CPU 35 degrees C. Others are lower, except 2nd HDD (HD1) @ 58 degrees C. It is the hottest item. Can anyone help me?

Wow quite a concidence that someone with the same problem finds this thread 11 minutes after it was posted, and both registered recently... I'm going to be watching you 2, if you try to "game" the system you will both end up losing. If you have no idea what I'm talking about then there is no problem.

Test your RAM. Bad RAM will give you seemingly unexplainable errors like this.

Wow quite a concidence that someone with the same problem finds this thread 11 minutes after it was posted
Yes even stranger is the fact that this new member (Reg clarke) has the same IP as the thread starter of this strange thread: Need help protecting another forum im on from scammers

Not sure what's happening there :confused: Maybe SNGX1275 can shed some light on that?
Or ideally Reg clarke

And both members from W B Comms (abbreviated a little, for privacy)
It is strange

were not the same people i am just tying to find answers for my problem just someone please give me a straight answer

i am so bored i need my pc and i am lost wiothout it just loo over my specs and tell me some ways i can fix it
come on people i need some options

Both Kimsland and I have suggested memtest, that is the help you are asking for. Run that, report back with results.

hi

well here is the problem about 2 mothns ago my pc would randomly shut down so i re-enstalled windows microsoft xp professional and updated everything but for some reason unkon it still shiutts down no erro message no blue screen of death nothing,it usually happened when i had to manny windows open or was palying a game, so i though that the motherboard g- card could not handel the games so i bought a nvidia geforxe fx5200 and i put in a second harddrive but still the problem is there

specs

microsoft windows xp professional version 2002
servive pack 3
Adm sempron(tm) 2400+ 1.67GHz 1.00gb of ram

if anyone knows what to do please tell me
thanks.

As with any electronic system that misbehaves as described, you should always start by checking the PSU (Voltages) of that system.
In this case (PC) also the Voltages provided by the motherboard itself (usually to be found on a Hardware Monitor page in BIOS !
The PSU is the basis of that system; if the PSU isn't performing as expected, nor can the system it is supplying power to !

If you are sure your computer has a reliable and stable power supply unit in it, you could run the RAM test program to check for problems in that important area ...

Sorry, I don't know what "Title" means, so left it blank. (I am a neophyte at writing to blogs, etc. Don't do much on the web but read news & e-mail.)

Jeeze, either you guys are really paranoid or there are a lot more bogeymen out there than I thought. My problem is legit. I had been looking for days for some reference to similar problems. That's why I made the entry I did. Incidentally, thanks to your sensor viewer, I may have found my problem. Shortly after posting my message, it showed the temperature of HD1 jumped to 60 degrees C (in red letters). I shut down & disconnected HD1. Now we'll see if the computer continues to run or dies as before. Meanwhile, can someone tell me where to find a list of normal parameters for system temperatures, etc. such as those shown in sensor view? By the way, why is it that when I try to use ASCII codes, as #248, for the degree symbol, I get shifted to another page? Thanks for your help

Evidently, HD1 was not the problem. Computer just shut down & I had to reboot. Downloaded the memtest you suggested to mychem, but didn't have time to do anything with it before the shutdown. Will try it, but don't really believe the problem is memory. I think, more likely it is the CPU which gets up 50+ degrees from time to time.

Reg Clarke

Reg Clarke

i have a few suspected areas which iam going to check out such as my graphics card might not be installed properly or so i would possible have to uninstall graphics card, turn-off my pc take out g-card, plug my monitor into the onboard video card and then plce the driver disk into the pc install swich off and then place g-card inside, lol if that makes any sense i was told to do that!

also here is another though i was having when i installed my graphics card whic is a nvidia ge force fx5200 my screen became wider like i can see the start tab at the bottom left of my screen but i have to one up monitor properties to to the sereen all the way to the left just to see time and other actived items to the tight of my task bar

i use and older bulk monitor (not a flat screen) i thik my g-card is working fine its that my monirtor is swiching off my pc because it can't handel it.
if you think so i would be glad to know.
if its something els i would love to hear it.

It all depends on the motherboard and the way of getting the temp reading from the CPU; if your Hardware Monitor reads out the on-die chip temp diode, then 50°C is the limit I work with (certainly with a modern CPU).
If the temp monitor reads a component outside of the CPU package, then 50°C is a lot of heat.
If the latter is true, I would clean the CPU cooler thoroughly or swap it out for something 'decent' from a 3rd party that can get those temps down (a lot) ...

Other temps should certainly be lower than 50°C, most certainly the HDD temp (modern HDDs have an inside temp reading); mine are running at or below 30°C !
Heat shortens the life of any HDD considerably !

so bascialy they are some of the reason why my pc could be shutting down

what about my other reply ---------

have a few suspected areas which iam going to check out such as my graphics card might not be installed properly or so i would possible have to uninstall graphics card, turn-off my pc take out g-card, plug my monitor into the onboard video card and then plce the driver disk into the pc install swich off and then place g-card inside, lol if that makes any sense i was told to do that!

also here is another though i was having when i installed my graphics card whic is a nvidia ge force fx5200 my screen became wider like i can see the start tab at the bottom left of my screen but i have to one up monitor properties to to the sereen all the way to the left just to see time and other actived items to the tight of my task bar

i use and older bulk monitor (not a flat screen) i thik my g-card is working fine its that my monirtor is swiching off my pc because it can't handel it.
if you think so i would be glad to know.
if its something els i would love to hear it.

this is the one i posed like a day ago.
any thoughts

You can just install the default Windows VGA graphics driver (from the internal list), reboot, then install the latest driver for your nVIDIA Geforce fx5200 and reboot again ...

If you install a graphics card driver, it can be that after a reboot, your screen resolution has been changed and that usually alters the size of the picture too (borders) / that 's normal with a 'tube' based monitor !

A monitor will NOT switch of your PC for any reason; it just can't (except maybe for when it shorts out something) !

A bad (old) video driver can give errors which can reboot/shutdown your PC ...

So can an unreliable PSU or too much heat ...

thanks well i noticed that my pc was getting hot but the side of my pc is always off does that help at all
I'll try some stuff and get back to you.

o and do you think it would help the resolution if i bought a falt screen monitor and got rid of my tube monitor.

That only depends on the quality and capabilities of your current monitor; if you set them to the same resolution (one higher than default) it doesn't make no change.

It just depends on personal taste as to which one you would prefer.
Some flat screens have 'hard' colours (which I don't like) and in tube monitors you had both 'hard' and 'soft' (pastel) colour pixels ...

To each his own.

The only reason why many take to the flat screens is the fact that they have a much smaller footprint / leaves more (real) desktop space for the user !

Weight is also important, certainly when you start talking about 20'' and larger screens.
Those with tubes in them are almost impossible to lift !

P.S.: Flat screens can have dead pixels (so could tube based monitors), but these days that is very very rare (even in the cheaper flat screens)

Please note: I have removed all quotes from your replies
Quoting the message directly before yours is:
1. Not Required - As this is the post of which you are replying to!
2. Should never be quoted in full (especially these posts above :rolleyes: ) Only relevant text required
3. Is generally not required on any thread
4. Creates a longer post, being more difficult to read (this is also apparent for spaces in posts too ;) )

Further info on this thread, and member replies
1. This thread is about "Computer randomly shuts down" not about Monitors!
2. All support replies should be relevant to the original Title and post
3. All support should only be directed to the original member who created the thread
4. This is not a Meeting Spot to openly discuss all\any hardware

About the validity and correctness of information supplied
1. When providing support, be accurate or state that it is only. in your opinion
2. Try to include respected links to back up your information
3. Endeavor to resolve, or continually try to resolve the original issue
4. Ask for further help from other support members, if unsure

I have quoted below the known disadvantages of CRT monitors (so as to clear or correct any misunderstandings)
This information has been found here

Disadvantages of CRT Monitors
  • heavy and bulky
  • use lots of power - typically 150W for a 17in monitor
  • high-voltage electric field, high- and low frequency magnetic fields and x-ray radiation being harmful to users
  • cannot be used in laptops!
  • the scanning technology they employ makes flickering unavoidable, causing eye strain and fatigue
  • their surface is generally curved, resulting in straight lines appearing rounded at the edges.

Note: This thread is unnecessarily too long, and off topic
According to the original post, quoted for reference:
the problem .. my pc would randomly shut down so i re-enstalled windows ... it still shiutts down no erro message ...i bought a nvidia geforxe fx5200 and i put in a second harddrive but still the problem is there
1. It's not Windows or any settings
2. It's not the graphics card (or Monitor!)
3. It is (or seems to most likely be) a hardware fault
4. Start by testing Ram; Cooling; Hard Drive; Cabling; Power Supply; Re-seating CPU; Benchtesting and so forth...

This is how you support properly! :rolleyes:
Anything else (off topic) will now be removed.

Edit:

Oh, and one other thing!
If you can read my post here, then you must know how to spell too
As all threads here are used to help many for now and future reference, try not to abbreviate or use broken English
This will help all when reading. You may also want to download a free spell checker, if that helps

Since you have reinstalled the o/s, it is unlikely to be a virus problem.

The problem can be with one or more of the following
1. Power supply
2. Overheating processor
3. Failing hard disk / bad sectors
4. Defective RAM
5. Defective capacitors on the motherboard or defective cables

Try these

1. Install speedfan and check the temp and voltages
2. Download a test utility from the site of your hard disk vendor and check the hdd
3. Download memtest and test your RAM
4. Visually inspect the motherboard and see if there any bulging/domed capacitors (though the capacitors cold be defective without any physical signs)
5. Change the cables (they are inexpensive)

i have checked my pc's health status on the blue screen and it shows that when i start my pc it stats at 48o c and in a space of 5 to 10 minutes it grows and stays at 61o c iam not sure how to cool down my cpu if you could tell me i would appreicate it thankyou.

I have been told you should not run the computer for more than a few minutes with the side panel off because that interferes with the air flow pattern inside the computer. Regarding monitors: I replaced my tube monitor with an X2gen 19" flat screen a couple of years ago. It came with a noticeable "hole" of dead pixels in the screen. However, X2gen replaced or (I think more likely) repaired it quickly & it has been very satisfactory since. Do you have any new peripherals? I recently bought an Epson CX7400 printer. I hadn't used it much until the last few days, making Christmas cards, etc. I notice my computer's sudden shutdowns are much more frequent when the printer is on. (Very aggravating!) But that may be because it is over stressing some other component that is weak. I have managed to run memory tests & they check out OK. CPU runs at temps in the mid 40's. But, while HD0 runs in the low 40's & HD2 runs in the mid 30's, HD1 runs pretty consistently at 58 degrees. I think that is too hot. I've tried to run other tests, but they always get interrupted by the sudden shut downs.

"As with any electronic system that misbehaves as described, you should always start by checking the PSU (Voltages) of that system.
In this case (PC) also the Voltages provided by the motherboard itself (usually to be found on a Hardware Monitor page in BIOS !
The PSU is the basis of that system; if the PSU isn't performing as expected, nor can the system it is supplying power to !"

I would bet the world on it that your Power supply is your problem (overheating) since PSU's are so insanely cheap these days just go but a new one (ANTEC) 450 for only $30

I have been told you should not run the computer for more than a few minutes with the side panel off because that interferes with the air flow pattern inside the computer.
That is true for people that have very expensive well designed cases with well thought out air flow patterns. For 95% of PC users taking the side off the case is going to lower the temperature of the components some or raise it just a couple of degrees, it is not going to put any components into any sort of a danger zone.

Check your Event Viewer for information about what is happening right before your shutdowns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back