Weekend tech reading: Study says IE users have lower IQs

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Study: IE users have lower IQs An online IQ assessment test was offered on our website. Most of the subjects came to the website either by organic searches from search engines, or advertisements put on various search engines for keywords targeting users who were looking for a free online IQ test. The test was offered only to visitors of a few English speaking countries namely USA, Canada, UK, Australia and New Zealand. Aptiquant (PDF)

Ubisoft: our DRM "is a success" We recently reported on how Driver: San Francisco will require a constant internet connection to play. It’s a controversial measure put in place to defend against piracy, and we don’t like it. We don’t like pirates either, mind. Speaking to us earlier today, a Ubisoft representative admitted that the developer has seen "a clear reduction in piracy of our titles which required a persistent online connection." PC Gamer

Windows XP PCs breed rootkit infections Machines running the decade-old Windows XP make up a huge reservoir of infected PCs that can spread malware to other systems, a Czech antivirus company said today. Windows XP computers are infected with rootkits out of proportion to the operating system's market share, according to data released Thursday by Avast Software, which surveyed more than 600,000 Windows PCs. Computerworld

Crytek working on new multiplatform shooter IP Crytek is diversifying its portfolio, continuing to work on games that don't have "Cry" in the title. Having shipped Crysis 2 recently, the company is working on a new multiplatform shooter IP, reports Supererogatory. Mention of the new IP comes from a LinkedIn profile, which mentions a "New IP, shooter genre, TBA title for Xbox360, PS3 and PC." Vague, but there you have it. Shacknews

PayPal hands over 1,000 IP addresses to the FBI, look out Anonymous PayPal was attacked by Anonymous last year when they had blocked the Wikileaks accounts transactions. Now PayPal has finally come up with enough evidence to strike back at Anonymous with the help of the FBI. PayPal has come up with a list of over 1,000 IP addresses left behind when they were attacked by Anonymous. TekGoblin

Foxconn to replace workers with 1 million robots in 3 years Taiwanese technology giant Foxconn will replace some of its workers with 1 million robots in three years to cut rising labor expenses and improve efficiency, said Terry Gou, founder and chairman of the company, late Friday. The robots will be used to do simple and routine work such as spraying, welding and assembling... Xinhua

Congress to take up Internet sales tax issue plaguing Amazon It looks like Amazon's dispute with states over collecting sales tax on online purchases will be taken up by Congress. Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) is expected to introduce a bill that would allow states to require all retailers, including online stores and brick-and-mortar retailers, to collect sales tax, reports Politico. TechFlash

Investigation: Is your SSD more reliable than a hard drive? Does a lack of moving parts translate to higher reliability? That's the assumption many enthusiasts and IT professionals make about SSDs. We go straight to the data centers using these devices, dig into failure rate statistics, and suggest otherwise. Tom's Hardware

Ubuntu One hits the one million users mark -- upgrades free plan to 5 GB Roberta Nilerud of Canonical has announced that their cloud storage service – Ubuntu One – has hit the one million users mark. Ubuntu One is a cloud storage service from Canonical that is very tightly integrated into Ubuntu. Digitizor

Game developers hoping to launch Google+ games within weeks It’s no secret that Google is preparing an applications platform for its Google+ social network. Game developers say they’re looking forward to making games for the platform, which could launch within a matter of weeks. Venture Beat

Permalink to story.

And businesses that code specifically for IE are really dumb!

IE now has a market share just under 25%.

The study also shows that Opera users have the highest average IQs. The final summary is that IE6 users should upgrade... even though IE9 users have lower IQs than IE8 users.

Nice one Benny, btw. lmao indeed.

Study: IE users have lower IQs*An online IQ assessment test was offered on our website. Most of the subjects came to the website either by*organic searches from search engines, or…
Online IQ tests have the nasty reputation of being one more way to gather peoples personal information. I avoid them like the plague.

And thanks for the link Matthew, but I unfortunately haven't the slightest intention of dropping the script blocking in Firefox to read it.

One questions why the article needs to be in PDF form anyway.

Will someone ballsy enough to approach the site with IE, please post their findings about the IQs of "Chrome" users?

Will someone ballsy enough to approach the site with IE, please post their findings about the IQs of "Chrome" users?

One ballsy user reporting!

Chrome users have an average IQ of 110. That would be about 20-30 points more than the average IE user (IE6 to IE9). Interesting enough; IE with "Chrome frame" users have an average of 125 IQ points. I have no clue what that means to be honest (I'm merely a Chrome user, synonymous with 'complete *****' it seems).

In the top 10, Chrome users were on the fifth place - IE with "Chrome frame" on third, right next to Camino (second) and Opera (first).

There is no data for Chrome dating pre-2011.

Well thanks for screwing that up! :haha:
Speed dial is the website save/preview feature add on for Opera.

http://www.opera.com/browser/features/
Oh, you mean the pretty click me home page thingy that you can install in Opera to take you right to your favorite pages? I have a pretty picture of a Phoenix bird on mine. I'll have to launch Opera one day, to see if it's as. pretty as I remember.

One ballsy user reporting!.
A hearty thanks indeed for your intrepid reportage!

Chrome users have an average IQ of 110. That would be about 20-30 points more than the average IE user
IQs that approach 80 I believe are considered learning challenged. (?) (110-30=80)!
Now see, if I wrote that sentence it would read,
Mercifully, there is no data for Chrome dating pre-2011

Oh, you mean the pretty click me home page thingy that you can install in Opera to take you right to your favorite pages? I have a pretty picture of a Phoenix bird on mine. I'll have to launch Opera one day, to see if it's as. pretty as I remember.

Thats the one. It is extremely pretty with V-Glass or such.

Wow, Ubisoft has really lost it. Does somebody know how to put on a straitjacket on a whole company?

Chrome users have an average IQ of 110. That would be about 20-30 points more than the average IE user (IE6 to IE9). Interesting enough; IE with "Chrome frame" users have an average of 125 IQ points. I have no clue what that means to be honest (I'm merely a Chrome user, synonymous with 'complete *****' it seems).

In the top 10, Chrome users were on the fifth place - IE with "Chrome frame" on third, right next to Camino (second) and Opera (first).

So what you're saying is, IE is sort of like the dunce cap of the internet?

I had an IQ test just to be safe, and i came out with a bog average of 119. Although, that might not be quite true because i have been known to be a lucky person, and as everyone knows: A lucky person will always have a good IQ, because the questions are all multiple choice.

Not sure about all this, but think my IQ has dropped a couple of points just from reading this thread.

Lokalaskurar said:

Chrome Frame is a plugin to IE 6-9 that gives its JS technologies inside the program, supposedly making IE faster with some Chrome code.
http://code.google.com/chrome/chromeframe/

So, this study would have me believe that people with IQ's well above average (if the average is 120+ in some cases then there must be a few bona fide geniuses to offset the hoi polloi) partake of "online IQ tests". I suppose the next study will show that theoretical physicists are more likely to apply for a FREE! Green card, try the Acai Berry diet, and click to join the perfectly above-board Russian dream-girl dating/marriage service.

So, this study would have me believe that people with IQ's well above average (if the average is 120+ in some cases then there must be a few bona fide geniuses to offset the hoi polloi) partake of "online IQ tests". I suppose the next study will show that theoretical physicists are more likely to apply for a FREE! Green card, try the Acai Berry diet, and click to join the perfectly above-board Russian dream-girl dating/marriage service.
You know I said something like that:
Online IQ tests have the nasty reputation of being one more way to gather peoples personal information. I avoid them like the plague.

And thanks for the link Matthew, but I unfortunately haven't the slightest intention of dropping the script blocking in Firefox to read it.
But that was before I knew there were Russian girls involved! Where do I leave my email address(es)?

You know I said something like that:
Ah, sort of. I'm actually keen on finding out what makes online IQ tests attractive to people with off-the-scale intelligence...i.e. could a super-mega-hyper-intelligent person actually be drawn to- what is generally regarded as the province of- online phishing and scams in general. If intelligent people are drawn to this kind of activity, then maybe the online test should actually incorporate an emotional intelligence (EQ) factor to allow for the intelligencia's need for simple online validation.
But that was before I knew there were Russian girls involved! Where do I leave my email address(es)?
Ask for Yuri @ http://www.Justfilloutthisformstupid.ru (clicking this link makes you a Mensa candidate by order of Aptiquant)

BTW: Congrats on getting Asomugha - cornering the market on cornerbacks.
@red1776
Commiserations on the Donovan McNabb move. At least you wont have to worry about FavreFavreFavre!!! overthrowing receivers by twenty yards...now you'll have Donovan throwing the ball into the dirt five yards in front of tight ends on simple crossing routes.

@red1776
Commiserations on the Donovan McNabb move. At least you wont have to worry about FavreFavreFavre!!! overthrowing receivers by twenty yards...now you'll have Donovan throwing the ball into the dirt five yards in front of tight ends on simple crossing routes.
Hi Chef,
I wish I could figure out what the hell they are doing over there in winter Park. The last time they did this (1998) with Randall Cunningham, It was a throw the ball straight up in the air and let Moss and Co come down with it. I think this year the opposition will be coming down with the ball more times than not....They have been saying for years that since the 83' draft (the Marino.Montana,Elway class, QB talent has been declining....but is it really this bad?

**** To keep it on topic, have you ever talked to anyone who didn't score 154 or so on the "online IQ" test?
Ya know...since I started using Opera a few years ago...I have had sudden urges to go out and buy a Mac..:confused:

dividebyzero said:
a well above average iq(or genius) is 130+.
An IQ test itsself is a statistical survey; It only includes people taking the survey.
EX: If everyone in the world took an iq test and then we took everyone who scored 100 or lower to take another iq test, the people with 100 iq would be counted as geniuses on the second iq test.
An iq test is judging intelligence relative to others taking the test.

i was a little skeptical about the test, so i did some calculations.
results:
people using IE6: 9.18%
there is a 9.18% chance that the differences between the average iq of 100 and the average iq of IE6 users, 80, are just due to dumb luck(if you were to perform this survey multiple times, you would get this result in about every 10 tries). The generally accepted statistical significance value is 5%, so people who use IE6 probably aren't dumber than every one else.
people using camino:4.18%
people using opera:4.75%
People who use camino and opera are probably smarter than the rest of us, for some strange reason.

There are always a huge number of factors and room for errors in these tests, so take them for what they are.

Those 1 million unemployed Foxconn workers are going to move to Mongolia and open up their own bootleg iPad factory.

QB talent has been declining....but is it really this bad?
The Panthers are giving Cam Newton $22m in guaranteed money- does that answer your question? Look on the bright side at least the Vikings didn't plump for Mark Bulger
**** To keep it on topic, have you ever talked to anyone who didn't score 154 or so on the "online IQ" test?
Yeah. Once met a guy who only scored 145...He told me this while I was helping him tie his shoelaces (and no, he wasn't Stephen Hawking).

The Panthers are giving Cam Newton $22m in guaranteed money- does that answer your question? Look on the bright side at least the Vikings didn't plump for Mark Bulger

Good god already. Remember when football players had a an off season job? By the way, how often does College QB talent transition to a successful pro career do you suppose?...guaranteed money...PBFFFTT!

Back