Error Caused by a Device Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am running Windows XP Professional with SP2 and my computer keeps resetting by itself. The Microsoft Online Crash Analysis said this:

Thank you for submitting an error report. Microsoft is unable to specifically determine what caused the problem you reported. If you would like to try and troubleshoot the problem, please utilize the information listed below.

Analysis

A device driver installed on your system caused the problem, but we cannot determine the precise cause. Depending on which situation is applicable to you, do one of the following:

If this problem occurred after you installed a new hardware device on your system, the problem might be caused by the driver for the device. If you know the manufacturer of the device, contact the manufacturer's product support service for assistance.
Some software, such as firewall and anti-virus software, also installs drivers. If this problem occurred after you installed new software, the software might have installed a driver that caused the problem. If you know the manufacturer of the software, contact the manufacturer's product support service for assistance.
If you don't know the driver's manufacturer and need help diagnosing and resolving this problem, contact your computer manufacturer's product support service.
Updated drivers might be available on the Microsoft Windows Update Web site. At Windows Update, you can have your computer scanned and, if there are updated drivers available, Windows Update will offer a selection of drivers that you might be able to use. To learn more about updated drivers that might be available, visit Microsoft Windows Update.
For information about Microsoft support options, visit Microsoft Product Support Services.

I don't know what device driver is causing this problem. What should I do?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

If you right click my computer select properties then the advanced tab then click on system startup system failure and debugging information settings then uncheck the box which says automatically restart also under write debugging information select none.

Now when your system crashes you should receive a bsod (blue screen of death) which will tell you what caused the stop error.

When this happens see if any drivers are identified in the stop message these will take the form of a file name I.E win32k.sys or sisnic.sys etc etc.

If you don`t know what the driver is then post back with the exact error message and somone will take a look at it and let you know.

I hope this helps Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Welcome to Techspot!
Those little message are relatively useless to normal Humans.
Were there any other Error messages or Blue screens?
How often does the computer reset?

Can you recall what you were running when you had your problem?
Make a note of any error message pay close attention to any file names that are mentioned.
If your computer won't stay up long enough,
You should try Booting into 'Safe Mode' Look in 'Device Manager and see if there are Yellow exclamation marks next to any of your components.
Also check the Event log ,for system and Application,errors this is located in the Computer Management window.Look for red stop signs and right click beside those .
Get back to us with any particulars.
P.S. I wrote this at the same time as Howard ,forgive any duplication and start with what he said . Work your way though until you find some info . Then post back.

Hi

I am a new user and I've been searching for help and have virtually the same problem as dariagurl.

When I get the blue screen it refers to the file "pscaudio.sys" as being the problem.

I have all the latest drivers, no conflicts reported but whenever I use garphics and sound together (such as using mediaplayer 10 or games my PC either locks up or reboots.

My system is as follows:

AMD athlon 1.2 on K7T Pro2-A (MS-6330) KT 133 VIA chipset
256 RAM
nvidia GEforce 4 MX 440
Philips 605 sonic edge sound card
WIN XP HE SP2

I would appreciate any help thanks

Gemma (in the UK)

Same problem here

Hi guys,

I am a new member too and I am also having the same problem. Thankyou to those who have posted information so far and I hope I can contribute in some way.

I am also running XP SP2 with all the updates current. I have included all the details of my system in my profile if they are needed.

Basically I have had multiple crashes that appear to happen at random intervals, now they are generally about 0.5 of an hour appart. I have trawled through all the windows documents I can find and I have tried everything but nothing has worked. The frequency of these crashes has varied wildly in the past.

This all started a few months ago when I had a crash after installing many new things (2 hard drives, memory and SP2) I thought atbthe time that I had changed too many things at once and after a lot of work it was too much to undo what I had just done to find the problem. I eventually rolled back SP2 and the situation improved for a while but the crashes eventually happened more often and now I have reinstalled SP2 hoping it might help?

I got some errors telling me that the driver for my video card was to blame so I brought a new video card but this didnt fix the problem. After reading the suggestions in this thread I turned off the auto restart function and recieved error messages via the blue screen of death. Examples in order with some of my attempts ar included below.

1. PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
STOP 0x00000050 (0xb6790a30, 0x00000000, 0x804ef118, 0x00000003)

2. STOP: 0x0000008E (0xc0000005, 0xbf861ffc, 0xf1f83aoc, 0x00000000)
win32k.sys - address bf861ffc base at bf80000

I did some research on this error message and saw that it may be caused by a RAM problem so I removed the RAM chip that I put in previously. I have not seen the specific error 0x0000008E since but the problem continues as frequent as ever.

I also flashed the BIOS on the motherboard to the latest version but this has made no difference either.

It appears that a hotfix for one cause of this error has been included in SP2 but it hasn't help my problem.

3. The latest error messages at the blue screen are the same as in 1. above.

I am wondering where to turn now? Should I just buy a new computer and convert this one to a LINUX box? This is not my first preference because I am only a poor teacher and therefore money is an issue but I can't go without my computer for too long becuase I need it for work.

I fanyone has any other ideas or possibilities I would be really grateful. I don't really want to admit it but my Mac OSX machine is looking more attractive by the second.

Thanks and I hope for the sake of the others with this same problem we find an answer soon.

Cheers,
Jeff

Jeff ; I can not tell whether you would be better off with Linux or Mac . Windows can have problems and so can the other O/S, I will say that I have found that most problems can come after making changes to your machine ,software or hardware.
I pulled this off of a google;
http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=107929&page=2&pp=15
Obviously Microsoft hasn't created a fix but they recognize that there is a problem.In cases like this I have used older drivers etc. So after you confirm that your Ram is good , Try back dating some of the drivers you might have installed ,one at a time.
Windows can be a pain ,but the vast majority of machines do run well and reliable with it.
Let us know how your troubleshooting proceeds.

Nippy said:
Hi

I am a new user and I've been searching for help and have virtually the same problem as dariagurl.

When I get the blue screen it refers to the file "pscaudio.sys" as being the problem.

I have all the latest drivers, no conflicts reported but whenever I use garphics and sound together (such as using mediaplayer 10 or games my PC either locks up or reboots.

My system is as follows:

AMD athlon 1.2 on K7T Pro2-A (MS-6330) KT 133 VIA chipset
256 RAM
nvidia GEforce 4 MX 440
Philips 605 sonic edge sound card
WIN XP HE SP2

I would appreciate any help thanks

Gemma (in the UK)

I think you may have a driver conflict happening ,but I am not sure about the software you have. In particular any programs concerning DVD/CD writer (packet writing etc) If you have more than one loaded I would remove them all cleanly and reinstall only one of them.
List these programs so we can see what is onyour Machine.
You might also try backing out of Media player 10 ,try 9

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. As you could probably tell I am getting a bit feb up with this problem. Thanks for your level headed advice, I will persevere. I'll let you guys know if I have any success.

Cheers,
Jeff :)

Hi Jeffstanger,

90% of the crashes are caused by non-Microsoft device driiver or hardware error. Attach 3 to 5 minidumps here and I will examine the dumps. You can find the minidump at the folder \windows\minidump. Remember to change the file extension from .dmp to .txt, otherwise you can cannot attach the dumps here

same bsod problem

I'm having the same problem as some of the other users here, I've attached a few mini dumps so that hopefully someone can figure out what my problem is

my system:

asus av8 deluxe mobo
amd 64 3400+
1024 mb pc3200 ddr 400 ram
seagate 120gb hd
geforce fx 5700le
sony dru-510 dvd burner

any help is appreciated

Attachments

• Mini012705-01.txt
    88 KB · Views: 44
  • Mini012705-02.txt
    88 KB · Views: 13
  • Mini012905-02.txt
    64 KB · Views: 8
Hi Whitefeather,

It is hardware problem of your CPU. The second Bugcheck parameter should be either 0 or 1, but it is 8 which is invalid. Win32k is windows core component and it is non-paged (ie page fixed). However windows cannot read win32k.sys and it must be hardware error.

Analysis result of Mini012705-02.dmp

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Arguments:
Arg1: be800a66, memory referenced.
Arg2: 00000008, value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation.
Arg3: be800a66, If non-zero, the instruction address which referenced the bad memory
address.
Arg4: 00000002, (reserved)

POSSIBLE_INVALID_CONTROL_TRANSFER: from bf815dad to bf800a66

SINGLE_BIT_ERROR: dbdbdbdb
TWO_BIT_ERROR: dbdbdbdb
FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner
MODULE_NAME: hardware
IMAGE_NAME: hardware
DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 0
STACK_COMMAND: kb
BUCKET_ID: SINGLE_BIT_CPU_CALL_ERROR

Hope it can help you

it helps some, but i don't understand why my cpu would be giving me a problem. it is new and hasn't been overclocked or anything. i didn't start getting these errors until i installed the second 512 memory module, its exactly the same as the first memory module. also, it seems i only get the errors when i run the memory in dual channel mode, in single channel i don't seem to get the errors.

Same problem....rebooting, error caused by device driver

Hi, just joined up and am a complete beginnner so apologise if this has been covered elsewhere.

PC started restarting a few weeks ago with the error message "Error Caused by a Device Driver" as some people above have also described. Occasionally though, the error message would be "Hardware Failure" or something similar to that. I have stopped my Computer from automatically rebooting and now get the BSOD fairly regularly with any one of the following error messages:

win32k.sys Address BF8010FDbase at BF800000 (most often)
or I get one of the following:
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_RESPONDING
BAD_POOL_HEADER
PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Sometimes the PC doesn't start up at all but makes worrying beeps.....

The PC is a Fujitsu-Siemans Scaleo 600
AMD Athlon Processor 3000+
Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2
Other software on it: Itunes, ACDSee Photo software, Norton, Adaware, Intervideo WinDVD, Weightwatchers software, Boots photo viewer, Quick time, Adobe etc

Can anyone help? many thanks...

Neilfit - Welcome toi Techspot!
Those beeps you are getting when your computer does not boot come from your BIOS. These are patterns of long and short beeps ,listen to them and make note of the pattern eg '1 long and two short beeps ' that repeat. These are important as there will be a matching error code indicating where the problem lies in your Hardware.
You can check the website of the Company that wrote your Bios for a translation of the beep code you are getting or do a search here for" Beep Code" I know they have been listed.
Then post back with what you find if you need more help.

whitefeather said:
it helps some, but i don't understand why my cpu would be giving me a problem. it is new and hasn't been overclocked or anything. i didn't start getting these errors until i installed the second 512 memory module, its exactly the same as the first memory module. also, it seems i only get the errors when i run the memory in dual channel mode, in single channel i don't seem to get the errors.

What exactly is the brand and model of the Ram you installed ?

Pc on and off like a light switch!

Hey again i am new,

I have asked everywhere about this problem and no-one knows what to do.

I'll be doing something online and my computer will just turn itself off, it'll then restart and i get the microsoft serious error message. It says that my webstar cable modem dpx100 was the cause and that scientific atlanta..have a new update to fix the problem. so i went to their site and updated the drivers, but my computer is still doing it. I also had the same problem and it told me it was my printer so i uninstalled that! Its really driving me mad, can anyone help?

I have just updated my system by adding a 120gb hard drive and an extra 256mb ram. My system was fine b4.

My system info is as follows

Windows xp professional version 2002 no sp2 as yet due to format.
Amd athlon(tm) XP 1500+
1.30 ghz
512mb ram

I hope someone can help me?

Thanks
Tracy

minidumps

Hi Cpc ... ty for helping me, I'll add the minidumps here although I am not sure what I am doing hope they are ok :confused:

Thanks for ur help hun.

Tracy xxx

Attachments

• Mini022505-01.txt
    64 KB · Views: 18
Minidumps are invalid

I've processed your minidump and they are invalid. Usually the memory is inaccessible implies seve hardware problem such as CPU, M/B, RAM or PSU.

cpc2004

Ram removed

Hi cpc,

I have removed a stick of ram from my computer to see if that will help....heres hoping it does.

Tracy xx

Liquidlen, many thanks for your time and help. Since my last post, the beeps have only occurred 1ce and there seems to be no pattern to them. I counted 21 beeps of equal length and then got bored! PC is still switching off / rebooting regularly with the usual BSOD screen messages of IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL or something else equally unintelligible to me.

This is becoming quite annoying now. Am I risking damage to my hardware by letting this continue? Perhaps I should get a professional round.

Anyone know if it would be better (i.e cheaper) for me to get someone round or take it into a shop somewhere?

Thanks again for your help

Device driver problems

I have very similar problems to what has been indicated. I have had several errors that shut down the computer and restart with the same message from Microsoft - device driver but can't determine which device. When I go to my device driver I have one device with a yellow question mark and exclamation point - Video controller (VGA Compatible). The location shows as PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0. It has a Code 1 for device not configured properly but when I try to reinstall the driver the wizard responds that can't find the necessary media. I don't know what this is associated with so I don't know if I have a CD rom.

I have also received various error messages as follows:

BCCode:1000008e, BCP1:c0000005, BCP2:80585504, BCP3: F61B58C0, BCP4:00000000, OSver: 5_1_2600, SP:2_0, Product 768_1 (occurred 2/20/05)

BCCode:1000000a, BCP1:00000000, BCP2:00000002, BCP3:00000001,BCP4:804E750B. same info for remaining piece as above

I had a new power unit and casing installed because it was shutting down in summer of 2004. Repair was done by Geeksquad at circuit city. Ran fine for a while and then started shutting down.

I have a Athlon XP Processor 2400+, AK-32A ATX AMD Motherboard, PC-2100 512 DDR SDRAM memory with Windows XP Home edition. I also have a wireless external card I use to access the web. I had Spy sweeper on it but took it off because thought it might be the cause. I am very unsophisticated at fixing the computer but I've searched the microsoft website to try and fix before I take it back to Geeksquad - but they didn't inspire a lot of confidence when I spoke to them.

Help please!

Ok it looks like I have an error every time I turn this computer on. I saw the tip about getting rid of the auto restart so this time the blue screen gave me the following information:

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
Stop: 0x0000004e (0x0000008f, 0x00010038, 0x00011d38, 0x000000)

Anyone with any ideas for what my problem could be. Oh I am also running Windows XP Professional software but I'm pretty sure the problem was occurring prior to that. Also I think the error occurs generally when I am on the internet but may also be occurring at other times.

neilfitt said:
Liquidlen, many thanks for your time and help. Since my last post, the beeps have only occurred 1ce and there seems to be no pattern to them. I counted 21 beeps of equal length and then got bored! PC is still switching off / rebooting regularly with the usual BSOD screen messages of IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL or something else equally unintelligible to me.

This is becoming quite annoying now. Am I risking damage to my hardware by letting this continue? Perhaps I should get a professional round.

Anyone know if it would be better (i.e cheaper) for me to get someone round or take it into a shop somewhere?

Thanks again for your help

In fact 1single beep, repeating is a pattern . Go to the web site for your board or go to the company that wrote the bios and look up the the beepcode for that.
It will tell you what problem the board is having.

DMBRR;
Your problem lies with a video card when you look in Device manager there should be a model number and name listed on the property page(right click on that device beside the yellow exclamation) Drivers need updating .
Often you can uninstall the device in Device Manager and then reboot to force Windows to reload drivers.

"HELPPPPP" CRAHES

Hi to anyone who is reading this.

My life is has suddently turned to hell as my computer is having those blue screens of death.When i install something/ burn i loose data and Dvd r's and sometimes its just like that.

When ever i do something it happens after 5 mins after logging on as admin.I mean its not exactyly but i am trying to say its not a quick reboot.Also in the BOD it does not specify any file names or anything there is technical info such as in the bottom ive written.

Ive tried to find out which device driver is causing this problem by so many means.I had gone to device manager and found no yellow marks.Ive tried safe mode to see which area is causing problems.I have probably formatted my drive around 9 times to do everything so carefully some how till now no luck... ive goten white hair due tot thinking soo hard about what to do... you cannot imagine i cannot even sleep thinking that soemthing bad is gona happen when i work.

I have the latest service packs all updates and believe me when i say so that ive tried a lot.Microsofts error report says its caused by error report thats all THEY ARE OF NO help at all.I started having these after 4 months of purchase of this CPU.Everything is brand new from sound card to graphic card... welll at that time.

These are the only drivers i have installed right now.I just thought i should repair windows again during windows installation it went nuts again by that restarting thing.so after repair right now as i mentioned before i got 3 drivers windows exp latest service pack.

Well its ALLLLLL inbuilt i think all of it!
the ERROR I RECIEVED IS :

In the technical information it said the following:

Stop: 0x0000000A (0x0a030011 , 0x00000002,0x00000001,0x80509099)

then in the bottom it said dumping mini dump and it was counting down like 1 2 3 4 5 6 and continuing.Plzz help

yet i got restarts HELP!.

My pc is 2.4ghz
p4p800 Assus Motherboard
GeForce 4 Mx 440SE
512 Ram
1dvd drive
1dvd writer drive
1 floppy drive...
webcam.. logitech
wireless mouse / keyboard..(microsoft)

btw did i say that i had NO yellow marks in device manager.Everywhere it says everything is fine.. but its just not.

soo sorry about this lenthy messege

Please help anyone..i wouldbe soo happy and gratefull.
If there is something of help u can send me u can email me at : (immortal_general@hotmail.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back