I have bought Radeon 9800pro. Is it good or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

numan

I have just bought MSI Radeon 9800pro 128 mb 3dCard by replacing my old Fx5200 card. Is this a good card (R 9800 pro) for playing new games on medium sttings.

MSI RX 9800pro-TD128 (Model)
Memory Interface = 256 bit
RAMDAC = 400Mhz
Memory = 128mb
P. Pipelines = 8
Coreclock = 378MHz
Memoryclock = 338MHz

One thing I want to ask i.e. My card is low memory clock 338MHz where it must be 680 Mhz(Given in ATI website). What is the difference in 338 and 680 Mhz. For what thing memoryclock and coreclock is used for?

Hmmm.... Where are you getting that Memclock number from? It should be at around 680 normally (for the 9800pro). MSI is a good maker too, so I can't see them making a bastardized card....

Where is it showing up as 328MHz? Maybe you accidentally underclocked it? Where you messing around with the settings? You could always crank it up to 680 (slowly) and see if it likes it.

Normally, yes the 9800pro is a decent card. Starting to get a little dated, but still great for the money.

I read Memoryclock 338Mhz of memoryclock in users guide and on MSI website. Is it realy effects my gaming performnce?

Hmmm. Let's see what some others have to say. I just checked MSI's website, and you are right it is 338MHz memoryclock.

Yes, it will affect gaming performance, but I'll be honest and say I do not know to what extent. You do have 256bit buswidth so it can't be all THAT bad.

My guess is the memclock is indicating the actual clock rate of the memory. You double that rate since the memory is ddr. So, what's 338x2?

By the way, the 9800 is about 5 times the video card that the 5200 is.

My game Medal of Honor pacific assult is too much slow on Radeon 9800pro(low settings). Where the game is running well on Fx5200. On medium settings. All other games are also not performing well. What should I do. Reinstal the game, upgarde the drivers (MSI vga drivers or ATI vga drivers?).
ReInstal windows Xp sp2? Or the game is not supported by the card?

PLZ help me I am very much tense just bought it 1 day ago.

My system spec.
Intel Celeron D 2.4 MHz 256 cahce
MSI Motherboard (p4mam-v) AGP 4x
300W powersupply.
512 Mb DDR Kingston 400 bus

Bakhart, that would make sense actually. I can't see MSI making crap cards, they are an excellent company.

But Numan.... that 9800pro card should be kicking the snot out of that old 5200 card, performance wise. I would download the latest drivers from the ATI site directly and see if that fixes you up.

Yeah, the difference between the 9800pro and the fx5200 is pretty phenomenal. The likes of the FX5900/FX5950 are LEVEL to the 9800pro.

Numan, I feel that your psu is really a bit too weak to run that celeron, the 9800, and 512 ddr. I would use a 400 watter from a good maker as a start.
More memory would be a good idea, there are huge textures in new games and 1 gig is a pretty common criteria for best performance.

Another thing to keep in mind is to disable everything but the game, no messenger stuff, av if you can, and whatever else is running.

Yes, the celerons are crap for gaming, but still, he should see a huge step up in performance by upgrading to the 9800pro.

A celeron with a 5200 = completely unacceptable. :knock:

A celeron with a 9800pro = tolerable for gaming (at an entry level price).

I have the same card and it does really great with all the games i play. i'd have to agree with Blakhart and say your power supply is a little weak for that video card

My experence of R 9800pro. Plz help me
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Then what should be the problem. The performance of the game Medal of honor -PA is very bad. I run it on low grafics and resolution 640*480. My system is too much slow on this game at 9800pro. While on the same system with Fx5200 card i played the game on medium grafics on resolution 800*600. The system is performing well on Fx5200. Today I ll try the game by updating my drivers.

I tried Need for speed underground 2 on Full high grafics and resolutin 800*600 (without AA.). The game is running very well and when i turn on Anti Alaising the screen is turns in black.

I tried GTA sans andrees on Very high grafics 1024*768 resolution, AntiAlaising 3(Maximum). The game is running well(better than Fx5200).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think powersupply is not the problem bcoz there is no powersupply restriction in the usersguide>sys requirements. The problem is different.

Ok so here it goes.....

numan said:
(MSI vga drivers or ATI vga drivers?).

try the newest Catalyst drivers from ATI. The one MSI give you are crap (i own two MSI cards)

InsaneMonkeyBoy said:
You can O/C the hell out of celerons though so maybe he should overclock it to bits.

OC'ing a the CPU in this instance IMO would not increase that much performance. The 256k cache is really what is choking the performance.

Blakhart said:
My guess is the memclock is indicating the actual clock rate of the memory.

Correct

Blakhart said:
Numan, I feel that your psu is really a bit too weak to run that celeron, the 9800, and 512 ddr. I would use a 400 watter from a good maker as a start.

If it is a a decent brand, 400 would be a good idea.ou should be ok . Celerons (espically non D) are very low on the power req, same with the RAM, so unless your running some other devices, the 9800 is the only thing that you need to watch.

Sean

Is my card bad bcoz it has memclock 338 Mhz or it dosent effect? What should be better coreclock or memoryclock?

No.
The memory clock rate is 338 x 2, so that's 676MHz.
You can probably overclock the memory and the core some but I wouldn't bother. You might get another 1000 points in 3dmark2001se but at the risk of failure and adding more heat to the system. The 9800s are so fast already that you will never notice any improvement, at least with your own eyes.
I would do the following:
1. Get a better psu, 400 watts or more from a good maker. Your psu is rated at 300watts max. No headroom at all I bet.
2. Overclock that celeron if your motherboard and memory allow it. I do this by increasing the fsb untill errors start to occurr in memtest86. Then I back it off a few MHz and leave the fsb at that speed.
3. Lock the fps of your games to the refresh rate of your monitor. There is a setting in the ati drivers to do this. Enable triple buffering too.
You'll have to search around in the video properties menu to find out where these settings are hidden.

I am certain you are having psu probs when you run the 9800, it just can't keep up. Also, if you don't completely eliminate all nvidia driver code and registry strings you are going to have problems when you run the ati card. I would do a complete fresh os install of one card or the other and leave it.

I downloaded the ATI catalyst ver 5.7 (full version with driver and controlcenter). It solves my partial problem. Now NFSU 2 run very good by turning on AF and AA. Medal of honor-PA runs very good on start and suddenely (after some times) slow down very much (medium settings). ATI catalyst control center could not load on star gives error "Application fails to load CLI.exe" it says to me instal MS .net framework. Now i m downloading it and instal it tomarow.

Blakhart said:
No.
2. Overclock that celeron if your motherboard and memory allow it. I do this by increasing the fsb untill errors start to occurr in memtest86. Then I back it off a few MHz and leave the fsb at that speed.

Plz tell me what is overclocking? Plz give the detailed method of overclocking my celeron. I ll be very very thank full to u.

One more thing i.e. U mean that my 9800pro has 678 Mhz memclock. Is it true.

Yes, the memory on your 9800 is running at an effective rate of 676MHz.

Overclocking is measures taken to make a cpu, or other system part, run faster than its characteristic design frequency.
For example; a 3GHz p4 cpu can be forced to run at 3.6GHz by increasing the fsb of the memory controller. The permanently set multiplier in the cpu is multiplied by the fsb: 200fsb x 15 (15 being the cpu multiplier in this case) = 3.0GHz. 210 x 15 = 3.15 and so on.
Since you can't change the cpu's multiplier, you must change the fsb to overclock. This is only if bios allows you to adjust the fsb. If not, you can't oc.

If you want to fool with overclocking, get memtest86 and read how to use it.
Then attempt to overclock. You shouldn't just pick an arbitrary number for the fsb as you have no idea if you will have errors at that speed. You must test the system before you use it permanently overclocked. All adjustments to fsb should be done in bios.
If you don't know what bios is, I suggest you go to rojakpot and study up.

Blakhart said:

I am suprised some one would advise overclocking, without checking that the PC has adaquate cooling before hand. Do not OC unless you have a good cooling setup. Also, using memtest for stabiltiy is also not a good idea. I would recomend using CPUBurn-in, or 95prime to check stability. But unfurtionatily, if you want to play new games at good FPS, i would recomend a New (quailty) PSU, 512 more ram, and a cpu upgrade. That celeron (even if it is OCed) is not gonna have the power to play games at great settings.

On MSI Radeon 9800pro 128 MB
I instaled Fraps for checking my framerate in games. I was just surprised, when the game start (GTA sansandrees, Medal of honor-PA and NFS underground 2) the frame rate shown by the fraps are 60-117 and when i start palying game then framerate suddenly fall at 10-30. Whats the matter. Some time game slow down at high settings but i can play game well in start and after some time framerates falls and game slows down. How can i adjust the constant framerates to the games?(There is no option given to adjust the FPS in games?) How much FPS can my card play at high settings?

You can try uninstalling the ati drivers with this program "Driver Cleaner Professional 1.2" http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?id=8 It will get rid of the old drivers that were left behind when you installed new ones and it will uninstall the new ones. After you cleaned them out you will have to reinstall new ones. Then you will know that you have a clean install. You can also try a program called EndItAll2. This program will shut down all programs on your pc that are running in the background that you really dont need running while playing games. This will free up some memory. When you reboot your pc the programs it shut down will be back up and running. I use it when im playing online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back