Spyware Removal Instructions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Po`Girl

For those of you looking for the "Viruses/Spyware/Malware preliminary removal instructions" thread.

It`s been moved,temporarily,to google`s cache HERE :grinthumb

Hopefully it will return to Techspot at some point.

i don't suppose you know why it went away?

something seems to be up with howard's account and i'm wondering if that has something to do with it

it doesn't have an avatar, last activity and the system specs are gone :confused:

that would be pretty annoying haha, mods have too many buttons ;)

although it still says TS Special Forces so it should have changed to Far, far away from being a member (banned) shouldn't it?

i'm hoping somebody in the know will turn up and enlighten us ;)

It could be test to see how members behave without mods.

You know,like that novel "Lord of the Flies".

no, it's not a test. You know why?

Today, I created a thread here, exactly the same as this one - I gave a link to Google cache with these instructions. The thread was deleted in 15-30 min.

Then it must be a hacker or spyware writer taking revenge ! Dun..dun...dunnn

OMG they`re in the room with us !

Po`Girl said:
Then it must be a hacker or spyware writer taking revenge ! Dun..dun...dunnn

OMG they`re in the room with us !

i think it very well could be... i thought howards account looked different, not showing his location, avatar, and wasnt the first letter and the one after the underscore capitalized, or was it just me?

that would be HORRIBLE if there was someone hacking this forum... the mods (specifically howard) have helped me 2 times already and was very patient. i would hate to see this be vandalized :(

well, good luck trying to figure out what's happening

~plasma

o and btw if any1 here reads this and know someone anywhere else whos name is plasma dragon007, thats me. i forgot to put the 7 lol.

M0ntG0M3rY said:
no, it's not a test. You know why?

Today, I created a thread here, exactly the same as this one - I gave a link to Google cache with these instructions. The thread was deleted in 15-30 min.
Are you sure you created a thread? I looked at all your recent posts (actually back to September) and didn't see any deleted threads (mods can see deleted threads). So IF you did create one, a mod must have permanately deleted, and we don't do that often.. You DID post in this thread, is that what you are talking about? It obviously isn't deleted.

As for Howard's absence, as far as I know, only Howard knows what or why.

I am ABSOLUTELY sure, that I created a NEW thread today, maybe about 8 hours ago or so, and gave a link in it.

I have also posted in the thread you posted a link to, but it was recently.

SNGX1275 said:
As for Howard's absence, as far as I know, only Howard knows what or why.

ok, as for an absence, i would think a vacation, computer broke and doesnt have access to one (but these days, the odds of that are slim), or just isnt on. but how exactly would you explain the removal of his avatar? unless it was on a site such as photobucket, and somehow it got deleted from THEIR site, im not sure how else it would get removed. from my experience in message boards, most people dont just disappear without any explanation and remove their avatars while their at it.

just my 2 cents worth,

~plasma

edit: nevermind, i see that it does show his location. but his avatar is still missing... as is howard himself...

wtf this is crazy... i just looked at that message for newcomers in googles cache... and the google header at the top, did anyone notice its written in 1337??? i assume most of you know what that is, but for those who dont, its a somewhat popular (and annoying) way for gamers to talk in games, replacing letters with numbers that look similar... heres what the thing says.

D1z 1sh G o o g l e'5 c4c|-|3 0f https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic51543.html 45 r37r13v3d 0n 21 |\|0\/ 2007 06:26:24 GMT.
G o o g l e 'z c4Ch3 iZ d4 Sn4Psh07 iT L33cH3D oF da P4g3 a5 eeT cr4wL3D DA WEB#@!*#
7H15 p4G3 m4Y h4v3 Ch4nG3D 51Nc3 7h4T T1M3. (l1(|< h3r3 pH0r d4 current page w17H0uT |-|1GhL1GH71NG, j0.
7h1z [4[h3d p4g3 m4y r3f3r3n[3 1m4g35 \/\/h1[h r d34d. S0rr3h. [li[k h33r 4 t3h [4[h3d t3x7 0nl3h.
t0 b3 1337 a/\/|) |_i/\/|< t0 0|2 |300k/\/\4|2|< t|-|15 p4g3, u53 t|-|3 f0||0\/\/i/\/G U|2|_:

ok, maybe not exactly 1337 speak, but its similar... and a lot creepier...

if any1 wants to i can post a screenshot to show im not spoofing it... i dont even have enough time to try to spoof that. well, ill take a screenie and keep it as proof if anyone wants. weird thing is, i dont think the spyware/malware (whataver it was called) preliminary removal instructions were headed like that. let me see, ill edit it in.

edit: no, the original link thats being discussed is still good... i think this one may have been hacked. i think you guys at TS may have something big on your hands right about now... :(

well, i hope for the best of figuring out whats goin down.

~plasma

oh yeah i forgot about that ;) i have it set to "Hacker" language that just for the fun of it and didn't think to get a proper english one for the link ;)

no problem, Julio, i thought that the man in charge ought to know that something crazy is going on in the wonderful world of TechSpot

Well something very strange is happening. Have you got Howards email? You could try emailing him and ask him the problems he's having on his side and when it happened ect...

Regards Jason :)

hopefully someone will have howard's email, it would be on store somewhere at least but i expect Julio wouldn't be allowed to give it us because of Data Protection

Daveskater said:
oh yeah i forgot about that ;) i have it set to "Hacker" language that just for the fun of it and didn't think to get a proper english one for the link ;)

rofl lol. i had no idea there was a "hacker language" setting

yeah, if you go on Preferences and Language there should be one called Hacker, but you only get links to normal search, images and groups as opposed to maps and all the google search type things

Ok, for an 'official update'.

It appears Howard left intentionally, although he let none of the mods or staff know. He decided to wipe out several (or all?) of the threads he had created when he left. This has obviously created some confusion and rumors of TS being 'hacked', nobody has hacked TS, and there is no reason to believe anything else happened other than Howard left and took some threads with him. As for the reasons he left, none of the mods or staff have heard from him so we don't know.

While this is unfortunate and completely unexpected, TS will survive. Off the top of my head I can think of 4 very influential and important members to this site that have left in various fashion for their own reasons since I've been a mod, and the forums survived that. They will survive this too, and in recent months a few of you guys have been stepping up into roles previously only done by Howard. The forums aren't a 1 man show, it takes a community effort to keep things working smoothly and I'm confident we can keep that up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back