Is ATI Radeon 9250 DirectX 9 compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NLE user

Can I "overclock" ATI Radeon 9250 to make it DirectX 9 compatible?

Is my current graphics card (9250) compatible with DirectX 9? And if it's not too much trouble, what does DirectX 9 require that the 9250 doesn't have.

Can 'overclocking' (is that the right word?) get around it? My computer specs are:

AMD Athlon64 3000 (1.8Gh)
Gigabyte GA-K8NS-939 (mother brd)
1Gb ram
200Gb mem
ATi Radeon 9250, 128M (graphics crd)

Do i need a new graphics crd?

Yes, the 9250 is indeed DirectX 9.0 compatible.

It's not 100% compliant, but it is indeed compatible.. i.e. you can install DirectX 9.0 and there are DirectX 9.0 drivers available for it.

The 9250 only supports pixel and vertex shaders V1.4, which puts it slightly above DX8.0 (DX8.1 to be exact), but not quite up to PS/VS 2.0 of DirectX 9.0. This isn't a big concern though as *most* DX9.0 games will use PS1.4 if available.

If you look HERE you'll see a list of 9250 cards. Looks like 95% of them are directx 8, but there are a few that are directx 9 in that list. Depends on which 9250 you have.

Overclocking gives the card's speed a boost, but I do not believe this has anything to do with what version of directx is it compliant with. Wait and see what someone else to say for a second opinion.

But as was said above, you will still be able to play directx 9 games.

As for your question about whether or not you should upgrade that card... I would say yes. From a gaming standpoint, that is what is holding you back with your system I would say.

I'm not much of a gamer these days. I mainly got my computer for audio and video projects. I've just got Pinnacle Sudio Plus v9 as a Non-Linear Editing program. This requires DirectX 9.

If I can play games with the 9250, would I be able to edit video? Currently I use Windows movie maker, but every time the project gets over 10 minutes it crashes. Is that a problem with the program or my graphics card?

Page File size

1 Gb RAM should be enough, so I'm suggesting checking your page file size.

The page file (pagefile.sys) is a hidden file on the hard disk that is used by Windows to retain temporary data when your system is running low on RAM. The page file is also known as paging file or swap file. Virtual memory is made up of page file and RAM.

The recommended page file size is equivalent to 1.5 times the amount of RAM up to a maximum of 4,095 MB. This means that the largest paging file size per volume that you can set is 4,095 MB.

If RAM times 1.5 is less than the current maximum page file size, and RAM times 1.5 is less than 4,095 MB, it is recommended that you increase the size of the page file size.

Note
To prevent page file fragmentation, it is recommended that you set the paging file size initial and maximum values to be the same value. If you decrease the size of either the initial or maximum page file settings, you must restart your computer to see the effects of those changes. Increases typically do not require a restart.

To change the page file settings
Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click System.

On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.

In the Performance Options dialog box, on the Advanced tab, under Virtual Memory, click Change.

Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file you want to change.

Under Paging file size for selected drive, click Custom size, and enter the recommended page file size in megabytes in the Initial size (MB) and Maximum size (MB) fields, and then click Set.

For further reading check here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pr...BPA/d9dd689e-6a51-4751-bb28-bf2ab3a78c3c.mspx

NLE user said:
Is my current graphics card (9250) compatible with DirectX 9? And if it's not too much trouble, what does DirectX 9 require that the 9250 doesn't have.

Can 'overclocking' (is that the right word?) get around it? My computer specs are:

AMD Athlon64 3000 (1.8Gh)
Gigabyte GA-K8NS-939 (mother brd)
1Gb ram
200Gb mem

Compatible? Yes.
Takes 100% advantage of all DX9 features? Not entirely.

Kirock in your message you suggested:

1 Gb RAM should be enough, so I'm suggesting checking your page file size.

I've increased my minimum page file side from around 1550 to around 3500 (the maximum that was suggested by windows)

Although Pinnacle Plus v.9.4 looks fine on my computer (there is no loss of video quality etc. So I think DirectX 9 works) It has the same problem as Windows movie Maker: The program crashes and generates an error report for windows. My computer doesn't crash, just the program.

Can anyone tell me why this is happening?

I always see ATI driver conflicts running on AMD processors and nVidia chipsets.

YES. The 128Mb is slowing you down, plus it only supports DirX8.1:

With the Predator RADEON 9250 128MB AGP Graphics Accelerator Card you have a high-performance graphics card that delievrs performance and value to any PC. This Value ATI-based graphics accelerator provides complete support for DirectX 8.1 and OpenGL 1.3 applications. The MegaClock enhanced Memory DVi, LCD and Dual Monitor support offer uncompromising video excellence.
Features:
RADEON Visual Processing Unit (VPU)
32-Bit PCI Bus
AGP 8x (Backward Compatible to 4X)
128MB DDR Memory
Dual Integrated Display Controllers
Dual Integated 10 bit/Channel 400 MHz DACs
165 MHz TMDS Transmitter
Integrated TV-output up to 1024 x 768
CHARISMA ENGINE II Rendering Engine
SMARTSHADER Programmable Shader Engine
SMOOTHVISION Image Quality Engine
HYPERZ II Memory Bandwidth Engine
Supports DirectX 8.1 and OpenGL
Driver Support
Complete DirectX Support
ATI CATALYST Software Suite
Windows 98/ME/NT/2000/XP

I would upgrade to GeForce 6600GTX or higher, but it has to be AGP to fit your GA-K8NS mobo.

i have a 2.66 dual core processor, 512 of ram and ATI radeon 9250. is it compatible with NBA live 2008 or Need for speed underground 2? thank you. hope that you could help me!!

LOL, this is the first time Ive seen this 9452 , its a higher number then 1900xt. But I guess its a budget card for people who dont play games,, or play games and dont get bothered by ugly graphics and slow motion game play!!!

The 9250 is DirectX 9 supported BUT doesn't fully support it. Only fully supports Direct X 8.1 =D

The 9250 is a pretty powerful card. But dude, why go with the 9250 when you get the X1550 128bit inferface Diamond Stealth Card. By the X1550

Tha General said:
The 9250 is a pretty powerful card. But dude, why go with the 9250 when you get the X1550 128bit inferface Diamond Stealth Card. By the X1550
He has the 9250 already XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back