ntfs.sys corrupt or missing....

Status
Not open for further replies.
not sure if it goes here, but, it takes place durring the xp home edition install

its a new build...
amd 64 3500+
fatal1ty mobo
x800xl video card
2 gigs of ram (2x 1 gig sticks)
WD 200 gig hard drive...

I tried installing xp on the hard drive, and it would always get to the ntfs.sys error, and have to be restarted, and I can't get past it.

I couldn't figure it out. I put the hard drive into another computer, installed XP, and it worked flawlessly.

xp ran. and so I shut down, took that hard drive, and put it into my new build. it goes to start up...but, ntfs.sys is missing or corrupt. and nothing else happens.

I checked the memory. and changed channels, and their has been no improvement, any help is appreciated=/

If you can partition/format your HD, make a small (4GB) FAT32 partition at the end of your HD. Copy the whole directory i386 with all subdirectories into there.
Boot from e.g. a W98 bootfloppy (www.bootdisk.com) and install from HD.
Use the following DOS-commands, once you are in A:>
X: +enter, where X is the partition the i386 is on.
cd i386 +enter
winnt +enter

one of my main problems is, it does not give me a choice on what file system to use. it says ntfs (quick), or ntfs. no fat32 system is even offered when re-formatting the hard drive.

=/

On that same W98 bootfloppy is also a Format program. Use that to get a FAT32 partition. During XP-install you can (re)format to NTFS.
You may be limited in partition-size using W98 format. You can always format the rest later, once you are up and running.

I tried that, re-formatted it as fat32, but then durring xp install the same issue arose.

ftns.sys corrupt or missing.

and i'm where I was for the last 15 hours again =(

Don't get too focused on how to get past the NTFS.sys error.. Rather, think what could be causing it so you can fix it.

Here's what Microsoft has to say: http://support.microsoft.com/search...=False&comm=1&query=ntfs.sys&x=0&y=0&srch=sup

When you install Windows, make sure you delete the partition and create a new one. Using NTFS is fine and if there's a problem with NTFS.sys, it is a sign there is another problem.

Possible causes for NTFS.sys corruption are a corrupted file system for NTFS.sys (which we can rule out with a fresh installation of Windows from a clean Windows CD and newly partitioned drive) or hardware problems. Possible hardware problems include incompatible or failing memory (very likely), failing hard drive (likely) or failing CD-ROM / damage CD media (not as likely).

On a more specific chance, it could corruption caused by a bad IDE cable or if you are using a RAID / SATA / SCSI setup, the third party drivers you are providing (or not providing for that matter) may not be fully compatible with Windows or damaged. Try getting the latest drivers from the manufacturer and placing it on a new, formatted floppy disk.

Just some ideas to help you out. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back